Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2022, 09:22 PM   #751
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

The foreign merchant attempts to negotiate prices and get an idea of what they are able to trade. Vassarious will make note of the Stone Melder's forms as well as several of these caretakers in case they can make use of their shapes later.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:31 AM   #752
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Nope! Here's a forensics roll at default:
But she does have pretty good defaults!

Halcyone notices scratches on the floor of the tunnel that seem rather fresh, and is able to confirm it with a little computer work (where is Halcyone doing all this remote stuff from?). A giant block of ice seems to have been dragged in, and also to have been dragged out.

That's good for a +1 where clue. Go ahead and make a deduction roll.

Quote:
Who:2
What:2
Where:1+1=2
When:4
Why:1
Quote:
How's the lock on those doors? The gap on the door's only big enough for bugs to get through, right?
The lock is a fine padlock (-5 to lockpicking, see DF 1 pg 26). The gap is only big enough for bugs to get through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
The foreign merchant attempts to negotiate prices and get an idea of what they are able to trade. Vassarious will make note of the Stone Melder's forms as well as several of these caretakers in case they can make use of their shapes later.

Basically all of the items are for sale. The light stones you can buy in the market. The blocking device pieces are a bit more expensive, and everything else is beyond that. A few more items that are associated but probably aren't magical:
  • A dwarven skull
  • A metal book in a language they can't read
  • A the head of a stone soldier
V makes note of people to copy later on.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 07-15-2022 at 08:44 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:39 AM   #753
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Vassarious will attempt to unlock more secrets from the artifacts if they are allowed to examine them closely or even to handle them.

They try to endear themselves to the knights and make all the observations they can about them and this place before thanking them for their time and heading to Uglin's speech.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:53 AM   #754
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious will attempt to unlock more secrets from the artifacts if they are allowed to examine them closely or even to handle them.
Roll faceman to handle the metal book.


How will you disguise the fact that you can read it? Its written in dwarven
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:18 AM   #755
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
But she does have pretty good defaults!
I'm starting to get how good an IQ optimized character can get at, well, everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(where is Halcyone doing all this remote stuff from?)
The room(s?) that she and V rented to stay in. Probably looks really out of it while resting in a chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Halcyone notices scratches on the floor of the tunnel that seem rather fresh, and is able to confirm it with a little computer work. A giant block of ice seems to have been dragged in, and also to have been dragged out.

That's good for a +1 where clue. Go ahead and make a deduction roll.
Hm. I think we can say that the threat is probably a stolen melder now.

Quote:
[443] 22-07-15 16:01:15 BST
IQ for Deduction
3d6 <= 16
3 + 6 + 6 = 15 ... success
Well, that's pretty mild success. I'll let V know that somebody moved a block of ice in and a block of ice out of the basement area, and maybe V could try to figure out if a melder's missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The lock is a fine padlock (-5 to lockpicking, see DF 1 pg 26). The gap is only big enough for bugs to get through.
Hm. I don't actually have lockpicking so I guess the point's moot. I have two unspent points; could I spend one now to cover that gap?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:07 PM   #756
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Vassarious will try and hide that he can read the text, and remarks on the flow of the script, pretending to be appreciating it on an aesthetic level rather than reading it and trying to absorb as much as possible.

Faceman! to handle the book

3d6 <= 14
1 + 4 + 2 = 7 ... success

Faceman! to pretend he can't read the text

3d6 <= 14
3 + 4 + 4 = 11 ... success
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:29 AM   #757
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Hm. I think we can say that the threat is probably a stolen melder now.

Well, that's pretty mild success. I'll let V know that somebody moved a block of ice in and a block of ice out of the basement area, and maybe V could try to figure out if a melder's missing.
You're still not 100% sure about that...


Quote:
Hm. I don't actually have lockpicking so I guess the point's moot. I have two unspent points; could I spend one now to cover that gap?
you can.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious will try and hide that he can read the text, and remarks on the flow of the script, pretending to be appreciating it on an aesthetic level rather than reading it and trying to absorb as much as possible.

The title of the book is "Principles of StoneWyrk"


Its a text on how one of the magic systems of the dwarves worked, and how to construct and power magical constructions relying on it. It lays out various basic principles at the beginning, and then talks about some of the applications at the end. applications include moving stone, blocking the magic itself, creating communication devices, creating light, and a section at the end talks about "harnessing stone to an intelligence".


Vassarious is unable to do much more than skim the book.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:45 PM   #758
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
you can.
As noted in OOC, done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You're still not 100% sure about that...
Well then I'll get sure about that. I'll get a few swarms repositioned so I can have a robotic lookout to while I pick the lock to the tunnel. I think I'll need two for both ends of the tunnel. I'll pick up a hammer to break the ice on the blocks, tools I need to pick a lock, and a few cords of rope, while I wait for the swarms to get into position. Then I'll slip into the tunnel and get to work.

Quote:
[446] 22-07-18 19:41:13 BST
Stealth
3d6 <= 15
3 + 1 + 2 = 6 ... success
[447] 22-07-18 19:42:10 BST
Lockpicking-5
3d6 <= 10
4 + 6 + 2 = 12 ... failure
[448] 22-07-18 19:42:28 BST
Lockpicking-5
3d6 <= 10
6 + 3 + 1 = 10 ... success
OK, happened by the second time. Assuming no problems, I'll disrobe and head inside.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:26 PM   #759
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Vassarious gets an idea of the asking prices and his wiggle room as a merchant... Does he have enough funds to make a purchase? He would downplay it, but has an interest in the book... They hope the robo-bugs got a good view while they skimmed the pages.

How much time is there before the speech?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #760
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well then I'll get sure about that. I'll get a few swarms repositioned so I can have a robotic lookout to while I pick the lock to the tunnel. I think I'll need two for both ends of the tunnel. I'll pick up a hammer to break the ice on the blocks, tools I need to pick a lock, and a few cords of rope, while I wait for the swarms to get into position. Then I'll slip into the tunnel and get to work.
Halcyone gets into the building without trouble, and then down into the basement. the statues themselves provide a lot of cover for Halcyone, but the double doors themselves are in full view of the two guards. Stealth alone will not get you access to that door.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious gets an idea of the asking prices and his wiggle room as a merchant... Does he have enough funds to make a purchase? He would downplay it, but has an interest in the book... They hope the robo-bugs got a good view while they skimmed the pages.
He can get a light stone or pieces of a blocking device with the money he has. His "guide" says he'd need to grandmaster Relis for anything else... you probably have the funds for two or three of the items they have multiples of. The book is not for sale.


Quote:
How much time is there before the speech?
Maybe an hour.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.