Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2024, 04:53 PM   #1621
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
A little bit by way of motivation and origin is what they can actually inspect. Ren actually provided that: an origin (or at least a loyalty) and a motivation.
Quote:
[816] 24-05-14 23:41:50 BST
Memetics! (To guess at responses)
3d6 <= 15
1 + 2 + 3 = 6 ... success
Given that most of what I'd say is basically unverifiable to them, and superficially resembles Jaline's background, I'd like some idea of how they'd react to what I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Arlinela: "What do your people call themselves? Are you on good terms with them? Anything would should be aware of if we meet another of your kind?"
"We're called Tendriloids, that's what the people who made us called us... I rarely saw any back then and I've seen ever since I fled. I doubt you'd ever meet another one of my kind, but... First, get them out of their clothes if you can. My armour is light enough for me to wear anywhere. Second, maybe try to get them talking. We're too curious for our own good."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Haley Hufestone: "What brings you to delve in the nexus?"
"My patron has reason to believe that someone is using energy from the null dimension and necromancy to create a large army. If this isn't reined in soon, we have reason to believe they'll overrun the entire multiverse."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:42 PM   #1622
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

[QUOTE]Arlon: "What kind of elf are you? I've never seen that kind before."

"The elves of the high mount of Al' Falihira hardly ever leave the enclave, and seldom entertain visitors."


Quote:
Haley Hufestone: "How long have you known each other?"
"Through several missions now. Halcyone has proven a worthy companion and formidable warrior.

Vassarious will have several sheathes and pouches for effect... On close inspection they have long knives.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:14 PM   #1623
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Given that most of what I'd say is basically unverifiable to them, and superficially resembles Jaline's background, I'd like some idea of how they'd react to what I'd say.
To the stuff below?

Quote:
"We're called Tendriloids, that's what the people who made us called us... I rarely saw any back then and I've seen ever since I fled. I doubt you'd ever meet another one of my kind, but... First, get them out of their clothes if you can. My armour is light enough for me to wear anywhere. Second, maybe try to get them talking. We're too curious for our own good."
Rufestone: "Were you made by mortals, monsters, or gods? How do you react to various magics?"


Arlon: "Curiosity... I assume you share this weakness? Everyone be sure to keep one intriguing fact about themselves hidden." He chuckles to himself.



Quote:

"My patron has reason to believe that someone is using energy from the null dimension and necromancy to create a large army. If this isn't reined in soon, we have reason to believe they'll overrun the entire multiverse."
Arlinela: "Who is your Patron?"

Rufestone: "What is your Patron?"


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Arlon: "What kind of elf are you? I've never seen that kind before."

"The elves of the high mount of Al' Falihira hardly ever leave the enclave, and seldom entertain visitors."
Arlon: "Al' Falihira, huh?" He mulls it over. "Never heard of it before. But then I wouldn't have."
Haley Hufestone casts some sort of spell at V: "I can verify this. At least a little" Resist by will. (Occult! indicates the truthsayer spell... and of course, the statement is literally true, if a touch misleading. And V literally becomes the target species, given how it works with elementals)



Quote:
"Through several missions now. Halcyone has proven a worthy companion and formidable warrior.

Vassarious will have several sheathes and pouches for effect... On close inspection they have long knives.
Arlinela: "So you two vouch for each other? I suppose that's something."


Haley Hufestone: "I am a cleric of Thurmad and agent of the order of the gear. The order has noted unusual activity at one of their old semi-conclusive battle sites and has sent me to investigate."


She presents a pair of symbols, seemingly the emblem of Thurmad and an enchanted cogwheel.


Arlon: "I am Arlon, wizard of air and son of air. My mother Magretira is a noted and famous mage, and my father is Aemorphion, fourth earl of the south wind. I was raised first in city Aelion abutting the plane of air, and then in the towers of Magestria on the Grey Sea. I have an illustrious heritage I am seeking to add to. This portal nexus appears to be need solving, and I am determined to find glory here."


He breaths in, and you realize he did that all in one breath. "Sorry about that, I can be long-winded. feel free to interrupt. Talking about my father does that. I'm here to prove myself. I'm taking my time to get it right. I was taught mostly air and movement spells. and some tricky stuff with light."


Arlinela: "I'm Arlinela, and I'm a shadow elf. I won't go into my lowlu heritage. I'm the chronicler of this crisis, and I'm not going into the nexus... I'm your contact in town. I'll let you know of other groups, rumors... you get the idea. Trust me as much or as little as you will, but the more you trust me, the more I can do."


Hufestone: "Arlinela is a bard. I've been watching her. She certainly seems interested in talking with everyone who is headed in."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:41 PM   #1624
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
To the stuff below?
Yup, suitably non-hostile/suspicious, I'll say it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Rufestone: "Were you made by mortals, monsters, or gods? How do you react to various magics?"
"I was made by people. I think I'd react like most mortals to magic, but I'd always like to see. The blood-readers thought my blood was quite strange."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Arlon: "Curiosity... I assume you share this weakness? Everyone be sure to keep one intriguing fact about themselves hidden." He chuckles to himself.
"If not more so than most."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Arlinela: "Who is your Patron?"

Rufestone: "What is your Patron?"
"A man named Corco. He gathers adventurers like butterflies and sends them out at problem after problem. This is just one of many problems."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:52 PM   #1625
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Arlon: "Curiosity... I assume you share this weakness? Everyone be sure to keep one intriguing fact about themselves hidden." He chuckles to himself.
Vassarious smiles warmly and with some mith.
"You have my word."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Arlon: "Al' Falihira, huh?" He mulls it over. "Never heard of it before. But then I wouldn't have."
Haley Hufestone casts some sort of spell at V: "I can verify this. At least a little" Resist by will. (Occult! indicates the truthsayer spell... and of course, the statement is literally true, if a touch misleading. And V literally becomes the target species, given how it works with elementals)
Spoiler:  
Vassarious snaps a solemn glare at the cleric, all mirth fleeing their furrowed brow.
"I do not take kindly to uninvited magicks. I realize your spell was not terribly invasive as mind control goes, but it is in fact, mind control. My brain is not yours to be tampered with. You made a foolish choice... were my nature darker or my mood more dour, you may have incurred retaliation."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Arlinela: "So you two vouch for each other? I suppose that's something."


Haley Hufestone: "I am a cleric of Thurmad and agent of the order of the gear. The order has noted unusual activity at one of their old semi-conclusive battle sites and has sent me to investigate."


She presents a pair of symbols, seemingly the emblem of Thurmad and an enchanted cogwheel.


Arlon: "I am Arlon, wizard of air and son of air. My mother Magretira is a noted and famous mage, and my father is Aemorphion, fourth earl of the south wind. I was raised first in city Aelion abutting the plane of air, and then in the towers of Magestria on the Grey Sea. I have an illustrious heritage I am seeking to add to. This portal nexus appears to be need solving, and I am determined to find glory here."


He breaths in, and you realize he did that all in one breath. "Sorry about that, I can be long-winded. feel free to interrupt. Talking about my father does that. I'm here to prove myself. I'm taking my time to get it right. I was taught mostly air and movement spells. and some tricky stuff with light."
Vassarious brightens again.
"Ah-hah! Very good, I see what you did there!"
Quote:
Arlinela: "I'm Arlinela, and I'm a shadow elf. I won't go into my lowlu heritage. I'm the chronicler of this crisis, and I'm not going into the nexus... I'm your contact in town. I'll let you know of other groups, rumors... you get the idea. Trust me as much or as little as you will, but the more you trust me, the more I can do."


Hufestone: "Arlinela is a bard. I've been watching her. She certainly seems interested in talking with everyone who is headed in."
"Character trumps trivialities of birth, but trust is a precious commodity to be sure. You have enough to share a round at the least, and we will see how it goes from there."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Yup, suitably non-hostile/suspicious, I'll say it.

"I was made by people. I think I'd react like most mortals to magic, but I'd always like to see. The blood-readers thought my blood was quite strange."

"If not more so than most."

"A man named Corco. He gathers adventurers like butterflies and sends them out at problem after problem. This is just one of many problems."
"A little discretion may be called for, my friend. I understand we want to engender trust, but becoming a curiosity could run to our detriment."
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:50 AM   #1626
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Spoiler:  
Vassarious snaps a solemn glare at the cleric, all mirth fleeing their furrowed brow.
"I do not take kindly to uninvited magicks. I realize your spell was not terribly invasive as mind control goes, but it is in fact, mind control. My brain is not yours to be tampered with. You made a foolish choice... were my nature darker or my mood more dour, you may have incurred retaliation."
OCC: Truthsayer is mind reading, not mind control... but V may get that and be touchy about anything close to it.

Quote:
"Character trumps trivialities of birth, but trust is a precious commodity to be sure. You have enough to share a round at the least, and we will see how it goes from there."
Arlinela: "I am glad you will judge me by my deeds. Do you intend to start your investigation at the portal nexus itself, or in the cults hanging around Torlin? I do think the cults are working with forces inside the nexus, but they are not directing it from the outside: their masters are based out of the nexus, not Torlin. And there is a conflict between them, though I haven't figured out the sides yet."


Haley: "You keep calling it the Nexus. You should know its real name: Sabwerk. It was once prosperous dwarven mining center."

Arlinela: "Their masters are based out of Sabwerk then. The old entrances have been rebuilt and refashioned. I know of two: One is easy to find, and full of traps and seems to be a sort of test."

Haley: "I can handle traps. They are under my God's Jurisdiction"

Arlon: "A test? What sort of test?"

Arlinela: "A puzzle of sorts, involving keys. I've collected some of them. They're from a cornucopia enchantment. There is more than one kind. "

Arlinela: "There is also a water entrance. I can mark it on a map. It involves long dives and large drops. Either way, the place is full of abominations, elder things, and hostile constructs. Be prepared for swarms, Elder things, traps, and hostile spells. And portals, of course."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:02 PM   #1627
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
OCC: Truthsayer is mind reading, not mind control... but V may get that and be touchy about anything close to it.
I misremembered it as forcing you to only speak the truth... Been a long time since I used basic GURPS Magic.

Quote:
Arlinela: "I am glad you will judge me by my deeds. Do you intend to start your investigation at the portal nexus itself, or in the cults hanging around Torlin? I do think the cults are working with forces inside the nexus, but they are not directing it from the outside: their masters are based out of the nexus, not Torlin. And there is a conflict between them, though I haven't figured out the sides yet."


Haley: "You keep calling it the Nexus. You should know its real name: Sabwerk. It was once prosperous dwarven mining center."

Arlinela: "Their masters are based out of Sabwerk then. The old entrances have been rebuilt and refashioned. I know of two: One is easy to find, and full of traps and seems to be a sort of test."

Haley: "I can handle traps. They are under my God's Jurisdiction"

Arlon: "A test? What sort of test?"

Arlinela: "A puzzle of sorts, involving keys. I've collected some of them. They're from a cornucopia enchantment. There is more than one kind. "

Arlinela: "There is also a water entrance. I can mark it on a map. It involves long dives and large drops. Either way, the place is full of abominations, elder things, and hostile constructs. Be prepared for swarms, Elder things, traps, and hostile spells. And portals, of course."
"A water entrance may suit some... But I think most of our company would be more comfortable on solid ground. Tell us more of this puzzle and these keys...
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 01:05 PM   #1628
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

"I've got a bunch of keys, but they all seem to be copies of the same three. There is something involving amulets with rats engraved on them. I can give you a copy of each key and a bronze amulet if you promise to return the keys and give me any extras beyond a basic set that you find."


"One key at least goes into a Golem in one of the rooms, and that lets you access under it further into the dungeon."

"The Puzzles confuse me. I suspect there are several with overlapping themes. They involve the keys, rat amulets, and rat emblems in general."


Arlon: "I can get us through a water section if we need it. Might be worth it if the front door is that complex."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:58 AM   #1629
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"I've got a bunch of keys, but they all seem to be copies of the same three. There is something involving amulets with rats engraved on them. I can give you a copy of each key and a bronze amulet if you promise to return the keys and give me any extras beyond a basic set that you find."


"One key at least goes into a Golem in one of the rooms, and that lets you access under it further into the dungeon."

"The Puzzles confuse me. I suspect there are several with overlapping themes. They involve the keys, rat amulets, and rat emblems in general."
[QUOTE]
"Where can these keys be acquired? I would hate to break our word if we fail to return them. What is the nature of this amulet?"

Quote:
Arlon: "I can get us through a water section if we need it. Might be worth it if the front door is that complex."
"Does this bypass the puzzle, or simply make for a less guarded approach?"
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 10:10 AM   #1630
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"I've got a bunch of keys, but they all seem to be copies of the same three. There is something involving amulets with rats engraved on them. I can give you a copy of each key and a bronze amulet if you promise to return the keys and give me any extras beyond a basic set that you find."

"One key at least goes into a Golem in one of the rooms, and that lets you access under it further into the dungeon."
I find myself wishing that I brought explosives instead of foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"The Puzzles confuse me. I suspect there are several with overlapping themes. They involve the keys, rat amulets, and rat emblems in general."
"So, if we take the water route, do we completely bypass the puzzles, or would there still be puzzles beyond the entrance?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Arlon: "I can get us through a water section if we need it. Might be worth it if the front door is that complex."
"Are we talking 'breathe water' through or 'dry bubble floating through the water'? I'm a fine swimmer, so I'm asking for others."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.