Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #51
Leynok

Default Re: Just How Am I Intimidating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
My expectation of PCs is that they embrace their disadvantages, not find ways to circumvent them. If you have Pacifism Cannot Kill for instance you can't even leave a foe to die. Technically you aren't killing them in that case but the point is to follow the spirit not the letter of the law when it comes to Disadvantages.
While I agree with the message, a nitpick in your example is that Cannot Kill specifically states that you can't leave people to die on their own.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:25 AM   #52
Rasputin

Joe Pesci in Goodfellas springs readily to mind. "Just how am I funny?" was not only funny, but also intimidating. Of course, the real Tommy DeSimone was a huge guy and obviously looked intimidating.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #53
Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
While I agree with the message, a nitpick in your example is that Cannot Kill specifically states that you can't leave people to die on their own.
I knew that, my suspicion is that the game designers put that in there to make it clear that Disadvantages should be based on the spirit not the letter of the law because they can't include every interaction. In other words Disadvantages actually disadvantage the character.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #54
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Joe Pesci in Goodfellas springs readily to mind. "Just how am I funny?" was not only funny, but also intimidating. Of course, the real Tommy DeSimone was a huge guy and obviously looked intimidating.
The Joe Pesci character was also trading on his reputation and history though.

Take that seen scene and imagine some unknown chap walks in same size as Joe Pesci and tries doing the same.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #55
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Pacifism doesn't usually stop you from hurting people in non-physical ways, so you can still use threats like that.
Especially if you're sister can kill people with her mind.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #56
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
The Joe Pesci character was also trading on his reputation and history though.

Take that seen scene and imagine some unknown chap walks in same size as Joe Pesci and tries doing the same.
Then it's not Intimidation anymore, it's Specious Intimidation.

You can't just walk into a room and say "Grrr, I'm scary" and roll Intimidation. That's not how Intimidation works. All this thread really amounts to is "Isn't it weird that an ST 9 guy can walk up to people and use his Intimidation-19?"

No, it isn't weird, because he can't.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #57
David Johnston2

Quote:
Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada is intimidating. Frank Underwood from House of Cards is intimidating. Doctor House from House is intimidating. None of these characters are physically tough. What good intimidators have in common is above average IQ and a healthy mean streak. Disadvantages like Pacifism should incur a penalty to intimidation checks.
Not really. I certainly wouldn't penalize Batman. A total pacifist might not be convincing with a threat of violence, but there's no reason why a total pacifist couldn't intimidate people with, for example, warnings of the afterlife consequences of engaging in violence.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #58
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
My expectation of PCs is that they embrace their disadvantages, not find ways to circumvent them. If you have Pacifism Cannot Kill for instance you can't even leave a foe to die. Technically you aren't killing them in that case but the point is to follow the spirit not the letter of the law when it comes to Disadvantages.
I hope you tell players what you think the penumbra of their disadvantages is. A lot of Pacifist characters aren't necessarily nice.

Every version of pacifism except Self-Defense Only and Total Nonviolence specifically permits you to start fights and hurt people with little restriction on anything short of deadly force. CHI would stop you picking a fight with someone 'uninvolved', which could occasionally be a constraint.

And the only part of any version of the Disadvantage that isn't exclusively about violence is the prohibition on killing indirectly or by inaction in Cannot Kill. The only way that causing mental distress, social losses, criminal charges, loss of property, etc. would violate any form of Pacifism is if you have Cannot Kill and suspect that your action will cause the target to die. (So with Cannot Kill you couldn't honestly threaten to hound them to suicide, deprive them of critical medication, or convince a mob boss that they stole from him, for instance. But that leaves a lot of things that can hurt, and thus scare, someone.)
Old 05-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #59
fifiste

Wouldn't cannot kill tehnically allow you to cleanly amputate all of your intimidatee-s limbs for example. (I'd say that going by the book a cannot kill would allow you to do that - but it's kind of iffy - maybe you'd also need another more penalizing disdvantage - cannot kill people and also cannot leave them a mutilated wreck hwo would be happy to die if only you'd allow them?)

Also -- a cut to man without disadvantage thread - if someone would actually go to these lengths I'd personally think rolling will against aquiring a plethora of mental disadvantages should probably be a logical idea to handle such actions. ? Like of your character stuck his hand to bear trap you'd later roll HT to avoid gaining one arm disadvantage.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #60
jason taylor

Remember that one in Burn Notice where they questioned two gangsters by taking them two the window, defenestrating the recalcitrant one onto a heap of some kind of padding, and then questioning the other who now thought they were willing to throw people out windows to get information?

Tags
intimidation