Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #1
Plane

Default flourishing your Force Sword

Kinda wondering what different ways exist to approach this sort of trick:

https://youtu.be/_dTAJiPMqbo

MA51's "Quick-Swap" perk allows swapping hands as a free action but this seems delayed enough that it wouldn't be a free action (I assume it normally costs a Ready or two?)

It definitely seems like a Shtick (also on MA51) but I'm not sure what variety of rules exist for Shticks.

The example given of Chiburi obviously requires physical components (blood on your sword, you can't do an intimidating flick if there's no blood to flick off!) but how would you deal with something like this which doesn't require a component?

I'm wondering if in this case "can only be performed with a de-activated Force Sword" might be an adequate substitute for "can only be performed with a bloodied blade" ?

Or maybe you could in theory do this shoulder-rolling move using a lit force sword but that should come with a high risk of injury if you fail the required Combat Skill roll needed to acquire the "Intimidate as a Free Action" benefit from success.

Like would it seem fair if you failed this combat roll (lose control of force sword) representing dropping it, that maybe you roll to see if it's headed your way (maybe 9 or less like one of those random attacks) and if it does, you'd have to roll a dodge or parry or suffer damage from your own Force Sword?

I get the impression that Shticks are normally free actions (even though Chiburi is clearly a physical movement... makes me think it should at least count as a parry or a component of a Rapid Strike) since it talks about getting a +4 bonus only if "entire next turn" is used.

In this case even though it's a demonstration of DX not ST, it seems like in the case of an energy weapon (which does not do damage based on ST, the threat comes from how accurately the plasma is placed) maybe a display of fabulous DX should give that +4 ?

Strength after all can be a broader concept than just Lifting ST or Striking ST, but the ability to inflict damage altogether, and someone who understands what a force sword does (maybe require an IQ roll to comprehend, might not intimidate a wild animal who doesn't understand what you're doing) should find that just as scary.

The only thing is if it takes an "entire next turn" then you probably couldn't multi-task to also spend that turn as a ready on a normal weapon-swap, so it seems like to Shtick+Swap simultaneously and get the +4 you would need the Quick-Swap turn except you have the option of using that 'free action' swap as part of your Shtick?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: flourishing your Force Sword

Honestly, this seems like just a party trick, at most covered by some sort of Hobby Skill or similar. The GM might allow it as a complementary roll for Intimidation or the like. Force Sword Art might also include it - I could see something like this as part of a kata, perhaps (I think I've read about some staff/spear kata that have a "roll over the arm" component, albeit not nearly as pronounced as this).
Old 05-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
Witchking

Flourishing your Force Sword...

...is one way to pick up a great nickname like

...Nicky No Nose
Old 05-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
Lovewyrm

This is something I'd personally just allow if it's for show, if you want some side effects from it then maybe a roll if you're not in active combat, but this looks like something that doesn't happen often.

If in active combat then, a roll for sure, although I don't know what for, maybe juggling, maybe some sort of body thing, like acrobatics, or just dexterity.

With maybe a gradient of possible fail and not a do or don't choice.

(I tend to just allow with cool stuff...which makes me wonder how suitable my comments are in general...going into the books seems like a pastime here, which makes sense, but on the other hand, maybe I can be a bit of a voice of 'GURPS' isn't required to go simulationist <<)
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #5
zoncxs

I would say you need the quick swap perk and related combat skill at 16+ to do a "Fancy" swap. No roll required.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:14 PM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Flourishing your Force Sword...

...is one way to pick up a great nickname like

...Nicky No Nose
I definitely wouldn't want to practice this kind of stuff unless the on-switch was keyed to react to flesh so that if my shoulderpad hit the switch it wouldn't accidentally turn on.

If it's a dead-man's switch (requires sustained pressure to stay on, not merely flicking it on and it stays on until yuo flick it off, like a light switch) I imagine that temporarily pushing the button via it bumping your shoulder wouldn't keep it on long enough to extend the blade particularly long, doesn't even a C-reach Force Knife take an entire second to extend?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:54 AM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I definitely wouldn't want to practice this kind of stuff unless the on-switch was keyed to react to flesh so that if my shoulderpad hit the switch it wouldn't accidentally turn on.

If it's a dead-man's switch (requires sustained pressure to stay on, not merely flicking it on and it stays on until yuo flick it off, like a light switch) I imagine that temporarily pushing the button via it bumping your shoulder wouldn't keep it on long enough to extend the blade particularly long, doesn't even a C-reach Force Knife take an entire second to extend?
I believe lightsabers in Star Wars are canonically this way, which is why they turn off when dropped. Those who want to be able to use their lightsaber as a thrown weapon either install a locking mechanism or (I think more often) use the Force to keep the lightsaber turned on while it's in transit. It's up to the GM how force swords work, but the dead-man's switch approach seems like the best option, honestly.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:13 AM   #8
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I believe lightsabers in Star Wars are canonically this way, which is why they turn off when dropped. Those who want to be able to use their lightsaber as a thrown weapon either install a locking mechanism or (I think more often) use the Force to keep the lightsaber turned on while it's in transit. It's up to the GM how force swords work, but the dead-man's switch approach seems like the best option, honestly.
Useful info...but 18 is 18. In combat tbh losing a nose is a milder possible result.

Out of combat...not necessarily going to be that bad, but no guarantee. Depends on what the stakes the PCs were playing for.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #9
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Kinda wondering what different ways exist to approach this sort of trick
Power-Ups 2 defines a lot of Schticks. The move you suggest is just a showy Ready maneuver. Buy the perk and make a skill roll or drop it.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:52 AM   #10
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Power-Ups 2 defines a lot of Schticks. The move you suggest is just a showy Ready maneuver. Buy the perk and make a skill roll or drop it.
And Live out your life with a healthy proboscis.

Tags
chiburi, force sword, intimidation, quick-swap, shtick