Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-24-2024, 08:29 PM   #171
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: Warriors of Haunden

Excellent about Cassandra getting more healing!
Pyramid #4/4: Fantasy/Magic II! Add Sparkle To Your GURPS Game.
Top 12 Clues You're a Role-Playing Old-Timer My humorous (I hope) article that also promotes SJGames/GURPS
GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves My first GURPS supplement
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 09:15 AM   #172
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Rainy Day, Do you have any thoughts about building a new character at this point. Maybe a Venasir warrior who happens to be able to speak a little Haunden?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 11:38 AM   #173
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Rainy Day, Do you have any thoughts about building a new character at this point. Maybe a Venasir warrior who happens to be able to speak a little Haunden?
If both the GM and RainyDayNinja want Thad to continue to be active in the game, there may be a possible solution. I'll PM ericthered.

EDIT: Sent ericthered an email.

EDIT: Ends up my proposed solution won't work. So as Nirvana, Dennis Lloyd, and Saturday Night Live's Emily Litella might say, "nevermind."
Top 12 Clues You're a Role-Playing Old-Timer My humorous (I hope) article that also promotes SJGames/GURPS

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 05-31-2024 at 09:59 AM. Reason: EDIT: nevermind
Old 06-03-2024, 07:51 AM   #174
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Still waiting for even an indecisive answer.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-10-2024, 10:59 AM   #175
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Still waiting for even an indecisive answer.
No more. Sadly. If Rainy Day wants to come back, he remains welcome

Old 06-13-2024, 08:01 AM   #176
Kalzazz

Poor Thad RIP
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:00 AM   #177
Alden Loveshade

From the post made today in Warriors of Hauden (IC):

Quote:
A short while later, ShadowMask arrives. ShadowMask isn't his real name, its what you call the Scorceror who lives in Holidor. This is the monster who killed half your tribe, the most prominent Venasir in all the tales of the war. He can fling fire, visit dreams, strengthen warriors, craft monsters, lay cursed traps, stun you with a glance, and is supernaturally tough.
I realize Anoras isn't there, but I'm confused here. And apparently I was confused before I even designed Anoras.

It's been over a year and a half since the below, the Warriors of Haunden introduction, was posted here on 10-18-2022. And I admit my brain may have been making assumptions. But I'm not understanding how this fits:

Quote:
Haunden is a small but proud community set deep in an iron age forest. Life in Haunden is dangerous: Two generations ago the Venasir and their hated sorcerers swept through the land, driving your people off the best land into the forests and hills that once belonged to the Yorikup, sending vicious monsters into the woods after you, and then falling into vicious and destructive infighting, leaving the dangerous results of their conflicts everywhere.
I was thinking this was all in the past. Depending upon the admittedly real-life source, people in an iron age community who were in battle two generations ago would likely be dead by now. We don't know for certain, but in real life I've seen the estimated lifespan range at about 20 - 35 years. And presumably warriors in battle would have been "adults" by the standards of that time, i.e., have both learned and have developed muscles for battle. That could be about age 13 or older depending upon the culture.

And presumably the leaders would be significantly older. For example, by the Bible, both Jesus of Nazareth and John the Baptist started their ministries/leadership positions at about age 30 during the mid Iron Age. There's some belief that was because one wasn't considered to be old enough to be such a leader until age 30.

I admit my mind was putting those Biblical, historical, ages to Haunden which is of course a fantasy world. So in my mind, the Venasir leaders who attacked Holidor two generations ago were dead. But after seeing the post above about the sorceror ShadowMask, I realized I might have missed a reference that ShadowMask was still alive.

So I just did a search for ShadowMask in both the Warriors of Haunden and the Warriors of Haunden (IC) thread. I thought maybe I had missed it, or forgotten it after about a year and a half. But I didn't find a single mention of ShadowMask until today.

Had I understood that ShadowMask, "the monster who killed half your tribe," was still alive and living in Holidor, I very likely would have had Anoras do something very different. And even designed the character differently.

My thinking since before the adventure even started was that the Venasir-Haunden battle was in the dead past. That's why I gave Anoras the Quirk "Longs for the Old Days (pre-Venasir attack)." Had I known that the sorceror who killed half our tribe was still alive, I never would have given Anoras that Quirk. Based on ShadowMask still being alive, that Quirk would effectively mean Anoras wanted the attack to happen all over again. Which is not what I intended.

So at this point, I'm not sure how to play Anoras.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:27 AM   #178
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"Two generations Ago" to me means that the children of that time are now grandparents of children that age. So the event is in living memory, but just barely. At least, that's the intent. Which means that Shadowmask is NOT the scorceror who drove the tribe off the land. That's my bad. He IS the local scorceror and you (the entire tribe but especially someone with hiden lore (magic)) are acutely aware of who he is, and thus his capabilities. The name is new, admittedly, but I've had his capabilities in my notes from day one.

So Shadowmask is not the monster who drove you out, he's the monster who keeps you out. My Bad.

Does that make more sense? I made a timing error.

As a note on the average age of Low TL people, an average age of 30 for death doesn't mean that everyone over 30 starts dropping like flies, it indicates a fairly constant mortality through every state of a 70-year lifespan. If you look at family trees in history, you'll see both terrible mortality among the young and plenty of people who live to be old and grey.

Last edited by ericthered; 06-14-2024 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:15 AM   #179
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
"Two generations Ago" to me means that the children of that time are now grandparents of children that age. So the event is in living memory, but just barely. At least, that's the intent.
Understood. I admit that's what I had in mind before my mind started feeling confused. So my calling it the "dead past" was a goof on my part.

Quote:
Which means that Shadowmask is NOT the scorceror who drove the tribe off the land.
Thanks for that! That solves my conundrum.

Quote:
So Shadowmask is not the monster who drove you out, he's the monster who keeps you out.
Understood.

Although in Anoras' case she has Code of Honor (Professional) as a healer, and has Longs for the Old Days (pre-Venasir attack), and is Broad-Minded. So she doesn't think of patients, or people in general, as "monsters." Monsters are what her friend and patient Thad was turned into because Anoras failed to save his life. That's why Anoras lost it and started yelling. (And I know I wasn't required to make a roll to avoid her doing that. But to me, it felt right for the character.)

Quote:
As a note on the average age of Low TL people, an average age of 30 for death doesn't mean that everyone over 30 starts dropping like flies....
Agreed.

Thanks again for your explanations!
Old 06-21-2024, 10:33 AM   #180
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Heads up: I will be slow or absent next week, as well as at the end of the week after that.

Then posting will pick up again