Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #1
Juca

Default Faster reloading on a budget

Hi, guys. One of the players in my group wants his character to reload faster his guns. They are smooth-bore pistols, with a whooping 10 seconds to reload. He already got Fast-Draw (ammo). Does the Gunslinger advantage reduces the time to reload, as Heroic Archer do for archers? Does increased time rate: only for reloading, exist? What is its cost?

Thanks!
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
Aldric

Default Re: Faster reloading on a budget

Fast Draw, carry more pistols and just draw a loaded one and fire it.
Bonus perks to avoid accidentally firing your other guns and to have them loaded off screen
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

The Quick Reload perk (Gun-Fu, p. 21) is probably what you want. For a muzzleloader, it's levelled, and each level takes 25% off the reloading time, to a minimum of 3 seconds. It's cinematic, though, so they'll either need to take Gunslinger or a similar cinematic advantage to take it, or you'll need to give special permission to take a cinematic perk without such a prerequisite.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:53 AM   #4
Juca

Adric, he already does that, having 4 different pistols, but he has one that is "special" (weapon bond, magical abilities and stuff like that) that he wishes to be able to use with a little more frequency.
Kelly, he already does have Gunslinger, and fights alongside an elf that can teleport to his sword, so it already is a little high on the cinematic scale, don't worry. Where can I find this perk?
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2018, 04:08 AM   #5
Aldric

I'm wondering why he didn't buid the gun as an innate attack if he has a weapon bond.

The perk is exactly where he said... I'm lucky my players never saw it, and instead went with multiple disposable guns and then melee weapons.

In any case, even 3 seconds to reload your gun while in combat, when the guy next to you is using Rapid Strike to make 2 or more attacks each second, seems too much
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

GURPS Gun-Fu can be obtained here
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Refplace

You could let him draw shot pouches of premeasured powder with a bullet. Still have to tamp it down and those pouches would be vulnerable to fire or water.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
The Quick Reload perk (Gun-Fu, p. 21) is probably what you want. For a muzzleloader, it's levelled, and each level takes 25% off the reloading time, to a minimum of 3 seconds. It's cinematic, though, so they'll either need to take Gunslinger or a similar cinematic advantage to take it, or you'll need to give special permission to take a cinematic perk without such a prerequisite.
Actually, it's also present in Tactical Shooting and given the nod as realistic though rare. It's only one level in that incarnation, though.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #9
Juca

Yes, totally missed the reference for Gun-Fu, sorry! I don't have it, and I don't think that I can buy it now for just one character trick...
As for the Innate Attack, it opens up another different can of worms. What if he chooses to quickly reload another gun? If he lends his weapon to a friend? If he upgrades it with money? For me, unfortunately, it is not a good option.
Think that I will allow the "gunslinger" advantage to function as "heroic archer", and allow him to reload at an increased pace by accepting a penalty on the attack roll.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juca View Post
Yes, totally missed the reference for Gun-Fu, sorry! I don't have it, and I don't think that I can buy it now for just one character trick...
You don't need to, Kelly Pedersen literally spelled out how it works for muzzle-loaders.

Quote:
As for the Innate Attack, it opens up another different can of worms. What if he chooses to quickly reload another gun? If he lends his weapon to a friend? If he upgrades it with money? For me, unfortunately, it is not a good option.
You put the Gadget Limitation on it, and presto, it's loanable.

Quote:
Think that I will allow the "gunslinger" advantage to function as "heroic archer", and allow him to reload at an increased pace by accepting a penalty on the attack roll.
That's perfectly fine as well.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote