Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Donny Brook

Default Confused by the FAQ on Afflictions

The question was can you Afflict yourself.
The answer says: "Sure. But you lose all the niceties of having a personal Advantage and get all the effects of being Afflicted (HT roll, uncontrollability after activation, variable duration etc.)."

What does it mean by uncontrolability after activation? Isn't it canonical that the Afflictor controls afflicted Advantages?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
Brandy

Default Re: Confused by the FAQ on Afflictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
The question was can you Afflict yourself.
The answer says: "Sure. But you lose all the niceties of having a personal Advantage and get all the effects of being Afflicted (HT roll, uncontrollability after activation, variable duration etc.)."

What does it mean by uncontrolability after activation? Isn't it canonical that the Afflictor controls afflicted Advantages?
I don't believe so. Old forum threads indicate that being able to end an affliction early would be an enhancement (+10% seems to be the hive wisdom), and basic says explicitly that the subject of an afflicted advantage isn't under control of the advantage.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
I don't believe so. Old forum threads indicate that being able to end an affliction early would be an enhancement (+10% seems to be the hive wisdom), and basic says explicitly that the subject of an afflicted advantage isn't under control of the advantage.
But when the subject isn’t in control (not always the case), the afflictor is. If the subject and afflictor are the same person...
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
But when the subject isn’t in control (not always the case), the afflictor is. If the subject and afflictor are the same person...
I don't think that's correct. I think that without other modifications if I afflict you with insubstantiability neither of us can end it before the duration expires.

If characters or Powers says otherwise I haven't seen it.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
Donny Brook

But if I Afflict you with Warp, I decide where you go. And if I Afflict you with Flying, I control your flight. Unless I have a [0] modifier on Afflict that puts the target in control.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #6
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
But if I Afflict you with Warp, I decide where you go. And if I Afflict you with Flying, I control your flight. Unless I have a [0] modifier on Afflict that puts the target in control.
Some GM arbitration is required, but affliction isn't something you have to keep concentrating on. It's a fire and then you're free to do something else letting the affect you "cursed" (or blessed) the target with takes its course without your direct supervision.

Warp gives one use when you afflict it. Flight shouldn't allow you to move the afflicted, but it would give you the ability to give them and turn on the ability to fly. The "under control" bit isn't active control, but who gets to choose if it power is activated.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Donny Brook

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...82&postcount=7

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=52139

Is this consistent?

Last edited by Donny Brook; 11-12-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #8
Plane

Maybe the idea of 'the Afflicted does not control the Warp destination' somehow overrides the 'the Afflictor controls the Warp destination' when the Afflictor and Afflicted are the same person?

I would say that any time an Afflictor controls an Afflicted advantage, perhaps they should have to use standard maneuvers to do so? So if you did Affliction: Warp on a target, they should not immediately Warp unless you want to roll at IQ-10 for a Warp done with 0 preparation. Otherwise, you would need to take the standard number of Ready maneuvers to lower the penalty...

So the drawback of doing Affliction on yourself and then Readying that Affliction's Warp is that you have to take the time to do an Attack maneuver first (to apply the affliction) before taking the Ready maneuvers, whereas if you possess the Warp advantage inherently, you can begin taking those Ready maneuvers right away and don't need to waste a turn making an Attack on yourself.

It also means, if you are attacked and need to Warp as a dodge, you're probably out of luck?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #9
Culture20

I see no inconsistency in those two posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Maybe the idea of 'the Afflicted does not control the Warp destination' somehow overrides the 'the Afflictor controls the Warp destination' when the Afflictor and Afflicted are the same person?
exo-teleport, aka afflicted warp, is the poster child for afflicted advantages. In Supers, exo teleport explicitly can be afflicted on oneself as long as the weight capacity fits
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:26 AM   #10
Plane

S25 mentions Affliction: Warp "without teleporting yourself", S30 is the Exoteleport limitation.

For actual examples of Affliction: Warp, there is Matter Transmission on P147 which talks about buying off the -10 for doing an instant teleport using Reliable, so it seems to assume that all Affliction: Warp uses this option, though I don't see any problem with allowing someone using Affliction: Warp to spend followup maneuvers to offset the zero-time penalty.

Someone who fails their IQ is -5 for 10m (or unable to use at all for 1d hours on a crit fail) unless they take the "No Strain" enhancement. Does Affliction: Warp get around that (each afflicted advantage is a "fresh" one which replaces the burnt-out one) or should these penalties be applied to any efforts to Warp anyone you've Afflicted?

I think you're referring to PP69 "You can Exoteleport yourself if your weight limit is high enough, but at a -2 penalty, due to the awkwardness of treating yourself as an external load." I'm not sure if that -2 would apply if the "Modified Warp" being afflicted didn't have the exoteleport limitation though, as without it your own weight isn't normally assumed to be an external load. If it is a case of relying on Carrying Capacity for yourself, then even if you possessed Warp (Exoteleport -50%) instead of using it through self-Affliction.

The RL Exoteleport variant on PP70 doesn't appear to mention a -2, probably because despite the name it doesn't include the Exoteleport limitation, so you should be able to move more weight with it.

Both versions of Affliction:Warp use "Modified Warp +200%" based on a [20] cost Warp resulting from at least -80% in limitations. Both versions have +50% Reliable -50% blind which cancels out. The differences of the roots:

PP69 gets -80% by the total of Exoteleport -50% + Modified Capacity, 1 lb., -30%
PP70 gets -80% from Range Limit, 10 yards, -50%; Reduced Range 1/10, -30%

So just looking at first level in these psi powers, RL Exoteleport should be able to allow you to teleport a target up to the combined weight of your body plus your basic lift, versus a mere 1 pound for the non-RL version. I think this would be based on the weight and basic lift of the person who attacked with Affliction (since they make the IQ rolls to teleport) and not the target of the Affliction.

I think this would change if using "Beneficial Afflictions" since then it is the Afflicted person (and not the person who afflicted them) using the advantage and making the IQ rolls, so it would make sense to use their weight and their basic lift, in that case.

For RL Exoteleport to ignore the user's weight, one way to solve this would be to assume Exoteleport -50% was built in but counteracted (total 0% modifier) by Extra Carrying Capacity: Extra-Heavy +50% in which case instead of teleporting the user's weight plus basic lift, you could teleport only the user's extra-heavy encumbrance, so they could only move themselves if their weight was equal or less to BLx10.

Or: assume the unwritten -50 was countered by the sum of +20 from either Mental Carrying Capacity or Telekinetic Carrying Capacity and +30 from Extra Carrying Capacity: Heavy. In this case it's merely BLx6 but based on Will or TK level instead of Lifting ST. Either of these make a lot more sense for a non-melee Affliction.

The intentional omission of the Exoteleport limitation from RL Exoteleport could explain why there's no mention of a -2 penalty for treating yourself as an external load, though there's really no mention of targeting yourself at all...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, warp