Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2023, 09:22 PM   #31
Anaraxes

Default Re: Why is shock capped at −4 in 4e?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Momentum doesn't exist in GURPS combat.
Shock is the momentum mechanic in GURPS combat. Score a hit, and it's more likely that you'll hit again next turn, prolonging the shock, and less likely that you get hit. The relative advantage tilts your way as long as you can keep it going.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:35 PM   #32
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Shock is the momentum mechanic in GURPS combat. Score a hit, and it's more likely that you'll hit again next turn, prolonging the shock, and less likely that you get hit. The relative advantage tilts your way as long as you can keep it going.
Shock doesn't penalize defenses.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:16 AM   #33
Anaraxes

Quote:
Shock doesn't penalize defenses.
Not by RAW, no; Kromm's noted that rule (like a couple of others) is mostly just to save recalculation. But it's not hard just to houserule that Shock/2 is a penalty to Active Defenses, since that's the effect it would have if you recalculated from scratch. Though you might not want actually to do that, as it amplifies the death spiral momentum effect the cap is meant to curb.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:44 PM   #34
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Not by RAW, no; Kromm's noted that rule (like a couple of others) is mostly just to save recalculation. But it's not hard just to houserule that Shock/2 is a penalty to Active Defenses, since that's the effect it would have if you recalculated from scratch. Though you might not want actually to do that, as it amplifies the death spiral momentum effect the cap is meant to curb.
Without a defense penalty, there is no momentum effect. If anything, there's the opposite, because causing shock does encourage the subject to take a defensive maneuver that makes it harder for the attacker to land the second hit than it was to land the first one.

...And as always, if you want to be talking about a houserule like 'shock applies to active defenses', that's something that needs to be stated because otherwise there's no way to know that context...
Old 03-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #35
Rupert

Quote:
Without a defense penalty, there is no momentum effect. If anything, there's the opposite, because causing shock does encourage the subject to take a defensive maneuver that makes it harder for the attacker to land the second hit than it was to land the first one.

...And as always, if you want to be talking about a houserule like 'shock applies to active defenses', that's something that needs to be stated because otherwise there's no way to know that context...
I think that if Shock was to applied to active defences, or was to be uncapped, High Pain Threshold would have to be repriced. It's already under-priced in any campaign where combat or other sources of damage and pain are at all common. Make pain and/or shock stronger, and HPT becomes an even better bargain and even more mandatory.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:16 PM   #36
ravenfish

If one is going to house-rule in uncapped shock penalties, it might be reasonable to change High Pain Threshold from "ignore all shock penalties" to "reduce shock penalties by four" to avoid the trait becoming a must-buy as people are worrying about.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:22 AM   #37
VIVIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
If one is going to house-rule in uncapped shock penalties, it might be reasonable to change High Pain Threshold from "ignore all shock penalties" to "reduce shock penalties by four" to avoid the trait becoming a must-buy as people are worrying about.
I thought I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I have a draft of a house replacement for HPT:
Quote:
Pain Tolerance
2 points/level
You have a high tolerance for physical pain. Each level of this advantage negates −1 in penalties from the shock of an injury. Pain penalties are alleviated as well, to a minimum of −1 for moderate pain, −2 for severe pain, and −3 for terrible pain. Finally, you receive a bonus of +1 per level to rolls to resist knockdown and stunning after a major wound (but not stun from afflictions or other sources).
VIVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:11 AM   #38
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIT View Post
I thought I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I have a draft of a house replacement for HPT:

Would you allow high levels to allow functioning whilst suffering Agony, as HPT does? And do you intend to cap the bonus vs knockdown and stunning (HPT gives a total +3 bonus)?

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:43 PM   #39
VIVIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Would you allow high levels to allow functioning whilst suffering Agony, as HPT does? And do you intend to cap the bonus vs knockdown and stunning (HPT gives a total +3 bonus)?
As for Agony, I don't like that rule to begin with. Agony is an incapacitating condition; if you aren't incapacitated, you aren't suffering Agony. It would be more consistent, I think, to apply the bonus to resistance rolls vs. effects that cause agony as well as to stun checks.

As for the bonus to stun checks, I think I would actually leave that uncapped and soft-cap the advantage itself instead.
VIVIT is offline   Reply With Quote