Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2023, 04:42 AM   #11
Embassy of Time

Default Re: [GURPS Heart Corps] Can AI design a GURPS campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Evil View Post
Chat GPT is in its infancy. I find one of its best uses is bulk placename generation.
If I understand GPT AIs right, and I think I am starting to, it is an attention issue. The more it writes in one answer, the more "unhinged" it becomes, so short answers (or multiple ones in lists) are its favorite. Looking at the structure of my GURPS books, I think that can work well for fleshing out a setting, but I am unsure about major plotlines or recurring friends/foes/situations...

Also, rules are right duds. It just can't do them. So anything rule related must be manually added, I believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
As a business school drop-out, I think it also says a lot about modern MBAs....

BTW, although all aspects of AI fascinate me, I hope to respect the forum and keep this thread focused on AI as a tool for GURPS settings, such as (but not only!) Heart Corps. Threads go off on tangents so easily, these days...

Last edited by Embassy of Time; 02-10-2023 at 05:33 AM.
Embassy of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:12 AM   #12
Embassy of Time

I've now been using chatGPT for a few days to add content to the campaign and ... I am not sure what to think, honestly. It makes some cool lists and has interesting angles on things here and there, but it feels like spitballing ideas with someone who just polished off their third energy drink of the afternoon.It grasps at syraws, offering limited coherence and going on sometimes wild tangents. It almost feels like the time spent sorting through the results could have been spent writing almost as much, some of it even a bit better.

I don't know, just felt like airing an update. I bought a domain to host the campaign notes, but it needs setting up, so it will be a bit.

Does anyone else have experiences like this? What do you do, and how do you use something like chatGPT to help your campaign prep??
Old 02-12-2023, 08:36 AM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

ChatGPT is advertising. Its job is to convince companies to license the software, train it with their specific information, and use it as a chatbot on their websites. It can probably do that better than current-generation chatbots, but that doesn't mean it actually understands anything.

Personally, stuff I write either involves complicated technical stuff (for work), or rather specific ideas (for gaming). Describing either sort of content clearly enough for a language model to create accurate descriptions seems harder than just writing it myself.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 04:39 AM   #14
Embassy of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
ChatGPT is advertising.
Everything is these days, it seems..... *siiiiiiigh*
Quote:
Its job is to convince companies to license the software, train it with their specific information, and use it as a chatbot on their websites. It can probably do that better than current-generation chatbots, but that doesn't mean it actually understands anything.

Personally, stuff I write either involves complicated technical stuff (for work), or rather specific ideas (for gaming). Describing either sort of content clearly enough for a language model to create accurate descriptions seems harder than just writing it myself.
I agree with the basics of this, but I just cannot shake the feeling that we have amazing tools at our fingertips, if only we figure out how to apply them right...
Old 02-13-2023, 06:06 AM   #15
Opellulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassy of Time View Post
I agree with the basics of this, but I just cannot shake the feeling that we have amazing tools at our fingertips, if only we figure out how to apply them right...
It's not the NPL (Natural Processing Language) that those "IA" use that do the magic but the data used to train it. So if you feed em all the fantasy fiction ever existed you can obtain a pretty decent "hallucination" machine that will spat out an infinite number of decent hooks.

Much of the commercially available engines out there "ChatGPT" and "Bard" included are trained on material randomly scraped by internet and then manually checked for offensive material by underpaid workers from Kenya. There is a bit of everything over there and, like any general purpose machine" it lose more usefulness the more specific you go.

My best bet on an useful IA application for RPG would be a "GURPS RULE GENIE" feed with all the Gurps manuals, supplements, pyramid articles and why not, forum content. It would be able to give you a quick rule to sort out any situation you would encounter. Think like "how do i assets the damage to a centaur hit by a shrapnel grenade at 3m of distance while in partial cover?" and that would give you a pretty spot on answer. It would not be consistent from case to case, it would not be perfect and it would create some "hallucination" (false reality) from time to time. But being only a tool to assist the GM it would not matter that much and would be (at least to me) super useful.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:29 AM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
The "apply them right" part involves paying OpenAI/Microsoft quite a lot of money. They don't want it to be too useful in its free form, since that would reduce their ability to make money off it.
Old 02-13-2023, 03:41 PM   #17
Embassy of Time

(I must resist the temptation of going into a full AI discussion, since this is a forum for GURPS. So I will stick to the GURPS issues here, and maybe this thread on ChatGPT can be used for a broader debate on non-GURPS matters in AI?)

I am kinda getting the hang of ChatGPT, but it still feels clumsy. I am currently trying to think like a ghostwriter, so I wonder, if someone asked YOU to write a GURPS setting book for them, what qustions would you ask them in order to get the writing going?

I still fall back on lists, but I think that's just me being uneasy around a new technology....which might make me redundant in a decade or so...
Old 02-13-2023, 05:03 PM   #18
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I am currently trying to think like a ghost-writer, so I wonder, if someone asked YOU to write a GURPS setting book for them, what questions would you ask them in order to get the writing going?
I'd start by asking about the source material, and then read it. Then I'd ask about the length, and the styles of adventures to be supported.

So I think it's worth trying to find out by experiment how much source material appropriate to your setting ChatGPT has digested.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:37 PM   #19
Embassy of Time

I got the first few pieces put together into... something. The layout is horrible, and I only marked the AI pats through half of it, but I need to let my brain rest. DTP in an office suite is just a horrible but of torture :'(

Anyway, it's here! Any suggestions on how to continue (not sure Security Level 1 is complete yet...) are welcome, especially how I may be able to integrate some AI tomfoolery! Oh yeah, bought a domain for it, but nothing is there, yet...
Old 02-15-2023, 09:17 PM   #20
Inky

I'm not sure what you're asking for, whether you're asking for comments about the Heart Corps setting in general or about how to get the AI to do it.

Security Level 1 might be tricky as it seems to be mostly about shady business practices on a fairly realistic level, which ChatGPT seems to be reluctant to discuss unless you keep reminding it that you're talking about a fictional company. (If you extended it to using a different text generator AI for that, you might have an easier time, I'm not sure. ChatGPT's precautions against people using it for nefarious purposes seem to be unusual).