Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2022, 05:08 PM   #1
Wazowski

Default Special Ops 3rd: Security/Surveillance the new Sensors?

Hello, it seems like several templates in the Special Ops book from the third edition have the skill of EO (Sensors), but none of them have Security or Surveillance. After researching into the 3rd Basic book, I found that the Surveillance specialty did not exist, and although the Security Systems did exist, it stands out as the electronic version of Lockpicking.

The Sensors specialty covers detection gear of all types, plus ECM and ECCM gear, so my question is: is the Sensors specialty supposed to be replaced by other specialties in the 4th edition?
Wazowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:14 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Special Ops 3rd: Security/Surveillance the new Sensors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazowski View Post
The Sensors specialty covers detection gear of all types, plus ECM and ECCM gear, so my question is: is the Sensors specialty supposed to be replaced by other specialties in the 4th edition?
This was overhauled in 4e. ECM and ECCM now come under (Electronic Warfare). (Security), (Sensors) and (Surveillance) all exist. They have some overlaps at the edges of their fields. See p. B189.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:28 PM   #3
Wazowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This was overhauled in 4e. ECM and ECCM now come under (Electronic Warfare). (Security), (Sensors) and (Surveillance) all exist. They have some overlaps at the edges of their fields. See p. B189.
If I wanted to update some of those templates should I replace Sensors with the four specialties?
Wazowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:19 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazowski View Post
If I wanted to update some of those templates should I replace Sensors with the four specialties?
That depends on what the template is about. U.S. Air Force Combat Controllers probably still have Sensors, for radars. Delta Force and SEALs might have any of the specialties. Recon Marines might well have Surveillance, and so on. 4e makes distinctions here that 3e did not, so some judgement is required.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics operation, sensors