Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #11
dataweaver

Default Re: Darwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Darwin

Technology Level: 8
Mana Level: Usually Low
Native Power Sources: Mutant, Technological
How many parts do you intend to split the Marvel Universe into, and what do you figure the fault lines should be? You've already got Mutant and Corporate Robotics… I could also see a "scientific explorers" world (the Fantastic Four, Giant-Man and the Wasp, and possibly the Hulk; though the Hulk might be better off in a "Gamma World" of some sort), a "street vigilantes" world (Spider-Man, Daredevil, Hawkeye, etc.), and at least one "Mystical World" (Dr. Strange, Thor, Ghost Rider, etc.)

I suspect that the Avengers are going to be a casualty of this break-up: the team's "big three" are Iron Man (probably ported to Ferrous), Thor (who I suspect will end up on a world dominated by magical and/or mythological superheroes), and Captain America (who's likely to end up on a "street-level" world with the likes of Hawkeye, Black Widow, and maybe Daredevil); and Giant Man, Wasp, and the Hulk (the other founding members) don't belong on any of the possible world mentioned so far (not to mention that two key Avengers — Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch — are mutants). Frankly, I don't think there can be any one subworld that would include enough of the Avengers roster for the team to make sense there. If there ever is an Avengers teamup, it will have to be parachronic in nature.

There are a lot of characters and teams like this in the Marvel Universe: the New Warriors prominently featured a couple of mutants who somehow managed to avoid the bulk of the "mutant persecution syndrome" (largely because their real-world origins were from outside the X-Men titles: Justice was based on a major player in the future-based Guardians of the Galaxy, while Starfire came from the "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" cartoon series).

This project also reminds me of the 90s "Shattered Image" four-shot which provided an in-universe counterpart to the breakup of Image Comics.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #12
David Johnston2

Default Ferrous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
If there ever is an Avengers teamup, it will have to be parachronic in nature.
There is another option which I haven't gone into yet because I haven't quite decided whether I'd just have characters inspired by Marvel Comics or...

Well...

The Alliance

The Alliance is generally considered to be the foremost superteam in the world. It consists of:

Iron Man: Using what is generally considered the best general purpose battlesuit in the field (There are stronger suits but they get there by being bigger and slower. There are faster suits but they lack the protection, firepower and stamina.), Iron Man is is the organizer of the Alliance and represents Stark Industries.

Soldier: Formerly the best soldier the United States Army had, combat injuries rendered him a nearly dead multiple amputee. But they had the technology and they rebuilt him into a cyborg super-soldier. Now he represents the United States government on the Alliance.

Archer: Using a lightweight battlesuit armed with a dizzying array of specialized munitions, and the best targeting system yet developed, Archer is the sniper of the team. He represents Advanced Idea Mechanics.

Vision: A fully sapient android, The Vision uses a unique "phasing" technology to pass through and sometimes disrupt solid objects. He represents Vision Innovations (Name changed because Williams Innovations didn't test well).

Hex: The most vulnerable member of the team is also the most dangerous thanks to the cybernetic implant that enables her to remotely jam and disrupt robots, battlesuits and more mundane elements of a highly computerized environment. She represents Wundagore Mountain (a software company). Her relationship with Vision is something she tries to keep secret as is her criminal past as a hacker who worked with anti-corporate terrorists.

War Hammer: Bigger and more powerful than Iron Man but lacking the other suit's agility and versatility, War Hammer's particle beam cannon hits like a lightning bolt. He represents Hammer Industries.

Gigatron: But by far the biggest is the five story tall man-piloted robot provided by Roxxon. It's virtually useless of course.

Lastly there's the "Stinger", a miniature robot provided by Van Dyne Microtronics with no mind of it's own, teleoperated remotely to scout situations and sabotage the opposition.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
samd6

Default Re: [IW/Supers] Splinter Worlds

I like this idea of having an avengers analogue on several worlds in the marvel skerry. What are the teams like in the mystic and street level worlds?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
I like this idea of having an avengers analogue on several worlds in the marvel skerry. What are the teams like in the mystic and street level worlds?
Not every splinter has an Avengers equivalent. Ferrous is a world where many superheroes are famous and respected...often more than they deserve, so it's a world where the concept of a premiere super team makes sense just as it makes sense to have an X-Men equivalent consisting of robots who fight for their right to be recognized as legal person covered by laws against slavery. But Mystic is a world where superheros and monsters operate in secret and at night for the most part, and witnesses to the exceptions routinely have their memories wiped. So while some of the individual Avengers have counterparts, there is no close equivalent to the Avengers team, just Doctor Strange's ad hoc team of Defenders.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Not every splinter has an Avengers equivalent. Ferrous is a world where many superheroes are famous and respected...often more than they deserve, so it's a world where the concept of a premiere super team makes sense just as it makes sense to have an X-Men equivalent consisting of robots who fight for their right to be recognized as legal person covered by laws against slavery. But Mystic is a world where superheros and monsters operate in secret and at night for the most part, and witnesses to the exceptions routinely have their memories wiped. So while some of the individual Avengers have counterparts, there is no close equivalent to the Avengers team, just Doctor Strange's ad hoc team of Defenders.
Well, most iterations of the Defenders would be fairly easy to adapt as you did with the Avengers into the Alliance. Beast, for example, could be a sorcerer who had a spell backfire on him, a wereBeast, or simply be an intentional skinchanger that chose a powerful humanoid form (or a combination thereof). Valkyrie fits into Mystic nearly as easily as into the hypothetical Mythic or Epic world that Thor probably calls home. Namor likewise works quite well.

Is there a lower-powered version of the Avengers on the world that probably contains both Spider-Man and Daredevil?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
dataweaver

What we seem to have right now:

• Ferrous (confirmed): Marvel through the lens of corporate espionage and high-tech gadgetry. Signature characters: Iron Man, Deathlok, Machine Man.

• Darwin (confirmed): Marvel through the lens of the X-Men. [i]Signature characters:[/b] the X-Men.

• Pulp (speculative): Marvel through the lens of super-science and exploration. Signature characters: the Fantastic Four, Dr. Pym.

• Street (speculative): Marvel through the lens of the products of various "enhanced human" accidents and programs. Signature characters: Captain America, Spider-Man, Daredevil.

• Monsters (speculative): Marvel through the lens of science gone wrong. Signature characters: the Hulk.

• Mythic (speculative): Marvel through the lens of mythology brought to life. [i]Signature characters:[/b] Thor, Black Knight?

• Mystic (speculative): Marvel magic. Signature characters: Dr. Strange.

• Horror (speculative): Supernatural monsters. Signature characters: Ghost Rider, Blade.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
Prince Charon

You could probably combine Horror and Mystic, without contradiction.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
samd6

I was under the impression that Horror, Mythic, and Mystic were all bundled together as the Mythic splinter.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
dataweaver

They might be; I don't know. That's David Johnston2's call, after all. (Personally, I'd be inclined to do just that; but then, I'd also be inclined to lump the Street, Pulp, Monsters, and Ferrous splinters together.)
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Is there a lower-powered version of the Avengers on the world that probably contains both Spider-Man and Daredevil?
Cap, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Black Panther, etc. There are many possibilities.

Tags
infinite worlds, marvel, power sources, supers