Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2022, 10:04 PM   #1
JulianLW

Default [Martial Arts] Wrench Limb Damage?

Quick question. Maybe I've missed this obvious answer somewhere....

Let's say I have ST 15 but I have bought the Wrench Limb technique up to 18. I successfully grapple and Wrench. Do I do 2d+1 crushing (ST 15) or do I do 3d crushing (ST 18)?

I am pretty sure the intent is that I do the ST 15 damage and the Wrench Limb technique doesn't raise my actual ST for the damage roll but only for the contest, but I thought I'd ask others because the more I think about it, both options seem pretty reasonable.

Thanks!
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Wrench Limb Damage?

Swing Crushing with a possible bonus for relative lavel of Wrestling Skill.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:09 AM   #3
Varyon

Considering this is a Technique that is very rarely going to be at unmodified ST for the success roll (untrained, it's at ST-4; fully trained, it's at ST+3), I believe if the intent were for it to use modified ST for the damage roll, this would have been explicitly noted. So, damage is based on the character's normal (Lifting) ST, probably with the Wrestling bonus in play (so high Wrestling both makes it both easier - ST-2 to ST+5 - and more damaging).

A character with extra damage for Wrench (Limb) / Neck Snap has a few options to get there. A custom Technique could increase damage by +1 per -2 (or +1/die per -4), and would "stack" with Wrench (Limb) and Neck Snap. The character could simply have additional Lifting ST (at human levels, every +1 to Lifting ST is +1 to damage). Optionally, you could allow for Lifting ST that is Limited to only work for Wrench (Limb) and Neck Snap; I'd eyeball it as simply being worth [1] per level (making it roughly comparable to the custom Technique, albeit without the Unique Technique [1] buy-in or the additional [1] for the first level for a Hard Technique).
Old 03-05-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
Quick question. Maybe I've missed this obvious answer somewhere....

Let's say I have ST 15 but I have bought the Wrench Limb technique up to 18.
There is no Wrench Limb technique, B404's combat option next to Neck Snap initially had no technique for it in Basic Set like NS did.

MA82's Wrench (Limb) says you need to buy up either "Wrench Arm" or "Wrench Leg".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
I successfully grapple and Wrench. Do I do 2d+1 crushing (ST 15) or do I do 3d crushing (ST 18)?

I am pretty sure the intent is that I do the ST 15 damage and the Wrench Limb technique doesn't raise my actual ST for the damage roll but only for the contest
That's how I would read it, otherwise untrained people would do swing damage based on ST-4 instead of based on ST.

I like the idea (incentivizes buying up the technique) but it might be double-dipping, dunno.

For anyone playing w/ Technical Grappling, TG41 seems to have removed the swing damage entirely and instead makes the damage margin-based like w/ Choking, so there's basically just a single roll now.

You have to spend control points to get potential to do it though.

Last edited by Plane; 03-05-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, wrench limb