Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
clu2415

Default After the End: Hulk Weapon options

Assuming that you are playing a Hulk, what weapons would you go for? In the campaign I’m in, the DM is waiving the multiplier on higher TL gear and we’re allowed to start with mutations. I took mutations for DR4 and an extra arm. I’m looking at wielding a spear on the one arm side and a cestus and a riot shield on the two-arm side. Got a large knife for backup; a long knife is 3x the cost! I also picked up staff skill so I can get swing damage from the spear. I was thinking about an alternate weapon that would do swing cutting, but few can parry while being cheap. Maybe I should just buy a (cheap) sword. Or maybe I’m thinking of this from a DF perspective and having multiple damage types isn’t as important.

Last edited by clu2415; 10-08-2020 at 04:52 PM.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: After the End: Hulk Weapon options

A Long Knife doesn't have the -1 to parry.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
Imbicatus

A hatchet doesn’t have the u modifier on parries, and can be thrown for sw cutting damage, and is cheap.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
A hatchet doesn’t have the u modifier on parries, and can be thrown for sw cutting damage, and is cheap.
Ah! The humble hatchet. Thanks.

Also, I suppose +1 parry for $80 is a good deal.

I also realized that quick reload(belt feed) is pointless. If you have more ammo than 100 rounds, you are crazy rich!
Old 10-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
Varyon

The utility of multiple damage types is very campaign-dependent. Against unarmored humans, thr imp weapons tend to work just fine. Against high-HP mutants with natural DR and/or primitive armor, sw cut may be necessary. Against unliving robots decked out with ballistic fiber, you’ll likely want sw cr. If you tend to fight a mix, it may be worthwhile to have each available; otherwise, just one may be fine.

For the spear, the Weapon Adaptation Perk can let you use the Staff entry for it (the crushing attacks, and possibly the +2 Parry) with Spear skill, so you needn’t invest in Staff. Note spears can do cutting damage with a Tip Slash (if you expect to need this frequently, I suggest a Heavy Spear, which gets improved Tip Slash damage). It may also be worthwhile to get a spear that has a crossguard near the head, as this will allow you to hold foes at bay even if they’re drugged/enraged/unfeeling enough to run themselves through to reach you, and IIRC also lets you use the useful Hook Technique.

If you really want a lot of options, however, consider the Dueling Halberd. It’s more expensive than a spear, but adds the ability to do sw cut and sw imp, both typically at sizable bonuses, and you can still use Weapon Adaptation to get a staff-swing with the haft (but no Parry bonus). It can also be used with the Hook Technique, and can even help for scaling walls. While most of its swing attacks have ParryU, you can avoid this by using a Defensive Attack (sacrificing some damage to retain the ability to Parry after an attack).

Also, don’t forget your shield is also a weapon. Add a short spike to the boss to boost its thr cr damage, and if it’s metal (or metal-rimmed), you can even sharpen the edges to get a sw cut attack.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
clu2415

I had been thinking about weapons I could use in one hand. Then I realized wrestling could be pretty awesome with three arms, so I should stick to knives and fist loads. I do have another character who uses a halberd, so I think I’ll steer clear for this character.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
I guess that could explain why the Tongs / Axe Gang favored them over bigger axes
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end, melee weapons