Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Sunrunners_Fire

Default [BASICDAMAGE] Custom GDF Questions

Okay, so ...

I am attempting to replace the [BASICDAMAGE] section of the Characters GDF with a custom formula. This section takes the st(), thr() and sw() tags; obviously. Does GCA permit me to add custom tags to this section (and reference my tags to make the formulas more human-readable) or do I get to live with the sprawling mass of numbers?

Admittedly, its' more of an aesthetics question than a technical one but I figured I'd ask in an attempt to make it easier on me to debug my stuff.

Also! Does anything break if thr()/sw() returns "1d+0" rather than "1d"? Figured I'd ask this one before finding out the hard way. Heh.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: [BASICDAMAGE] Custom GDF Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
I am attempting to replace the [BASICDAMAGE] section of the Characters GDF with a custom formula. This section takes the st(), thr() and sw() tags; obviously. Does GCA permit me to add custom tags to this section (and reference my tags to make the formulas more human-readable) or do I get to live with the sprawling mass of numbers?
Sprawling mass of numbers. This section is largely a reference, allowing you to specify values at different stages. You can't add tags because they won't be preserved. I haven't visited this part of the structure since the early days of GCA, since it's almost never come up as an issue for expanding.

GCA will use the first entry where the lookup ST is less than or equal to the st() value. So you can do formulas for different 'blocks' of values if you want.

Note that GCA parses the entry values on the 'd' to get a thBase and thAdd or swBase and swAdd values. So if you use a formula to figure things, it'll need to be formatted to allow for parsing on the 'd' if any + or - value is needed. (Meaning: enclose in parens. See the last entry in that section of Basic Set for an example.)

Hmm. Thinking about it now, you should be able to use an Attribute as a variable if that would help. Because the Basic Damage values are sent through the Solver when they're needed (to solve any formulas) any references to traits should be solved for at that time. That might help you some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Also! Does anything break if thr()/sw() returns "1d+0" rather than "1d"? Figured I'd ask this one before finding out the hard way. Heh.
No, having the +0 should be fine, as that's basically the value that the xAdd value would be anyway, after the entry is parsed into the storage object.

Armin
Old 08-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: [BASICDAMAGE] Custom GDF Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Hmm. Thinking about it now, you should be able to use an Attribute as a variable if that would help. Because the Basic Damage values are sent through the Solver when they're needed (to solve any formulas) any references to traits should be solved for at that time. That might help you some.
Sadly, trying this didn't work out for me. I am probably doing something wrong but I'll just leave it as the sprawling numbers and keep my notes so I can change/reconstruct them as necessary. Thanks again.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basicdamage, custom gdf, gca4