Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
pfharlock

Default Did anyone start with GURPS Lite, what was your experience like?

Is there anyone here who started with GURPS Lite and used it extensively before you learned the Basic Set? Is there anyone here who only uses the Lite edition?

What is your opinnion on how easy it is to pick up and how complete it is? How well does it work for new GM's, are there big noticeable gaps that a new GM would notice if they had never seen the basic set?

The reason I ask is....

There is another thread where someone is new to GMing and is trying to make an informed choice about which system to use.

It's clear from their opening statements that they want more simplicity out of the system they choose, yet still semi gritty. I believe being generic was a plus too.

For this, GURPS Lite came to mind for me. My problem though is, I started with the GURPS Basic set 4th edition. I love GURPS Lite, and love handing it out to players because it gives them a reduced rule set they can chew on fast and easy.

The caveat there though is, I know and utilize allot of the rules from the basic set that aren't present in the Lite edition. It doesn't bother me because I know the basic set pretty well and view one as an extension of the other. If there are gaps in the Lite edition my brain automatically fills them in with my knowledge of the full basic set.

How well does Lite stand on it's own without any other resources?

Thanks all :)
pfharlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Did anyone start with GURPS Lite, what was your experience like?

I know a group who played a fairly extensive (30+ sessions) space-going law enforcement campaign with Lite. They added some stuff on, and had at least one player (not the GM) who had experience with full GURPS 4e. They are experienced gamers who prefer fairly simple systems, but none of the ones they usually use were much good at technological skills or gun combat.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfharlock View Post
Is there anyone here who started with GURPS Lite and used it extensively before you learned the Basic Set? Is there anyone here who only uses the Lite edition?

What is your opinnion on how easy it is to pick up and how complete it is? How well does it work for new GM's, are there big noticeable gaps that a new GM would notice if they had never seen the basic set?

The reason I ask is....

There is another thread where someone is new to GMing and is trying to make an informed choice about which system to use.

It's clear from their opening statements that they want more simplicity out of the system they choose, yet still semi gritty. I believe being generic was a plus too.

For this, GURPS Lite came to mind for me. My problem though is, I started with the GURPS Basic set 4th edition. I love GURPS Lite, and love handing it out to players because it gives them a reduced rule set they can chew on fast and easy.

The caveat there though is, I know and utilize allot of the rules from the basic set that aren't present in the Lite edition. It doesn't bother me because I know the basic set pretty well and view one as an extension of the other. If there are gaps in the Lite edition my brain automatically fills them in with my knowledge of the full basic set.

How well does Lite stand on it's own without any other resources?

Thanks all :)
Lite works okay as long as at least one person in the group is either A) good at winging things, or B) somewhat familiar with full GURPS. It has a couple issues where the writers simply forgot that something wasn't obvious, the one that comes to mind immediately is that it has weapons with RoF but no rapid-fire rules.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

If I was to run a game, as GM I would give my players GURPS Lite, let the players interested in being spellcasters look at my pages of approved spells and magic houserules, and list/detail traits I intended to allow that were not gone over in Lite (such as Magery, Energy Reserve, and Weapon Master) and a selection of simple racial templates.

I have not yet actually tried this.