Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
DoqSaint

Default Time is the key?

Some questions about the time things happen and it is the cause of big arguments when we play.

1)A friend of mine was a 9th level cleric and he used its ability to draw a 2nd level monster from the used pile and defeat it to win. Another player uses the "lose your class" curse.
Does it apply to the recently drawn monster? He has to leave it back when he lost his class? Or he has to fight it but is not cleric anymore? When is the correct time to "hit"?

2)A friend was Wizard and he enchants a monster. Another plays "lose class" curse. Same question. He evades with treasure but stops being a wizard or has to roll the dice to escape?

3)A friend tries to steal an item. Does he have to name the item beforehands? Can he roll the dice and if he succeed take one item of his choice?

4)A friend (a) tries to steal an item from a player(b). Another player(c) throws "lose a small item" on the player(b) who is about to get an item stolen from him. Can he lose the item that was about to get stolen? (supposing the question No3 is a Yes)

5)If question No4 is Yes, can he throw the curse to himself to destroy the item that was about to get stolen from the thief?

Sorry for the description of my cases. I am tired (after a 4hour Munchkin game) and not using proper english. If you need further explanation plz tell me.

[I have munchkin translated in greek, but some cards from unatural axe have no good translation (i.e. the halfling card says that a halfling has a -1 at escaping dice), or missing stuff (i.e. some monsters have to treasure number). Is there a list of the cards with english description so that i can correct the errors?]

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post.
DoqSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Time is the key?

Here is a guiding principle for many of these questions: In Munchkin, events happen when they happen. Unless a card or rule specifically says it cancels a prior event, it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoqSaint View Post
1)A friend of mine was a 9th level cleric and he used its ability to draw a 2nd level monster from the used pile and defeat it to win. Another player uses the "lose your class" curse.
The player used his Cleric ability and started to fight the monster. Then he loses his Cleric class. He's still fighting the monster, just not as a Cleric -- the Curse doesn't go back and change prior events.

Quote:
2)A friend was Wizard and he enchants a monster. Another plays "lose class" curse. Same question. He evades with treasure but stops being a wizard or has to roll the dice to escape?
Once the Wizard charmed the monster, it's charmed. Losing his Class at that point just means he's no longer a Wizard; he still gets the benefit of having charmed the monster.

Quote:
3)A friend tries to steal an item. Does he have to name the item beforehands? Can he roll the dice and if he succeed take one item of his choice?
Nothing on the Thief card requires you to name the target of your theft attempt before you roll. You can roll and, if you succeed, then announce what you are trying to steal.

Quote:
4)A friend (a) tries to steal an item from a player(b). Another player(c) throws "lose a small item" on the player(b) who is about to get an item stolen from him. Can he lose the item that was about to get stolen? (supposing the question No3 is a Yes)
If the Thief had already rolled the die for his theft attempt, he must be allowed to complete it before the Curse takes effect.

Quote:
5)If question No4 is Yes, can he throw the curse to himself to destroy the item that was about to get stolen from the thief?
No, but of course he can Curse the Thief instead.

Quote:
[I have munchkin translated in greek, but some cards from unatural axe have no good translation (i.e. the halfling card says that a halfling has a -1 at escaping dice), or missing stuff (i.e. some monsters have to treasure number). Is there a list of the cards with english description so that i can correct the errors?]
Yes, at least of the Classes and Races. You want the Munchkin Thingies document.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
DoqSaint

Wow thank you so much.
At the last question, if he throw it to the thief then the thief decides the item he will lose since it is "lose an item" curse? (playing in greek doesn't allow me to know the exact name of the cards sorry)
DoqSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The victim of a Curse always decides what is lost unless the Curse itself says otherwise.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote