Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2023, 02:20 PM   #461
Inky

Default Re: New Fantasy Setting Seeds.

I'm not sure about any of the following.

Of course, yes, I got your meaning the first time - that's what I meant by "that's where you'd want it to be set". But in that case the monsters are reduced to more or less of a framing device, or else a lopsided sort of structure (or maybe it's just me that thinks it's lopsided) where they run from monsters, go into the TARDIS, go on a completely unrelated quest in there, and then as an afterthought go outside and defeat the monsters, who the reader/player has almost forgotten about by this time, using the powers they got in there.

Some possible ways to break this up.
1) They're going in and out repeatedly, using the TARDIS as a very confusing/dangerous HQ rather than just a single interlude, or with trying to find the solution to the problem in the TARDIS being something that takes several attempts. (This may have been what you had in mind in the first place and I just didn't get it from what you wrote).
2) Rather than being the whole thing this is used as the opening adventure (or the second adventure) of a longer campaign, with the journey into the crumbling TARDIS getting full screen time in that adventure and the party getting to use their new powers in later adventures. Though there should definitely be at least cameo appearances (if a setting can be said to make a cameo appearance) later on, because this sounds like great fun.
3) Something followed them in. They may not realise that at first. Or maybe it got in first and they followed it in.
4) The TARDIS is the Lovecraftian horror. (I've sometimes thought that if the Doctor was a D&D character, he'd have to be a Great Old One Warlock). It's leaking four-dimensional spacetime rifts, or something that was imprisoned in it so long ago that Poimandries had forgotten it was there has escaped, or it's somehow managed to connect the PCs' home planet to somewhere very dangerous, and the party's task is to sort it out. (Presumably, Poimandries doesn't know how to fix the problem by himself, though he'll go to some lengths to avoid admitting this in so many words).

By the way, apparently there's a spin-off novel called "Lungbarrow" that's very like this, although I haven't read it.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:58 PM   #462
Astromancer

I agree that the Doctor is Nyarlathotep with empathy, compassion, and a moral center.

Having the source of the ability to fight the Eldritch Horrors be in process of becoming an Eldritch Horror strikes me as highly dramatic. Also, all of the Doctors have their sinister side. This is clearest in the 7th Doctor. But look closely at the 2nd and 4th Doctors.

The name Poimandries comes from late Classical religio-magical writings. The name was given to a spirit of initiation, Poimandries later became the Tarot Magician.

By making the TARDIS into a cross between Gormengast and Galifrey I'm making the place of safety a separate source of adventures.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 04:46 PM   #463
Astromancer

The Faerie Question

Who are these people?

The Tuatha De Danna.

Those are the Gods and Faeries of Irish Mythology.

The angry woman who crushed that tank doesn't seem like a mere myth to me.

Throughout Europe the Faeries have returned. They're in Europe and demanding full citizenship! Basically the Faery Lands Forlorn aren't inhabitable anymore. They've come to Europe to survive. Realizing they must adapt to the new conditions and get human aid the Faeries are pointing out they were in Europe first so they must be citizens.

The Faeries are seeking to assimilate into modern European society. Mind you these folks are still powerful warriors and magicians and aren't quite up to speed on modern European customs and social norms.

Basically, the PCs are people and faeries living in Europe and dealing with the chaos.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-24-2023, 09:25 AM   #464
Astromancer

Print the Legend If you can tell it from the Facts

I recently bought the AMAZING ENGINETabloid game. It sets up a deliciously cynical fantasy campaign. You don't need the AM game, just grab GURPS:Warehouse 23, GURPS: Black Ops, and GURPS: Illuminati. There are other sources of GURPS pop culture Fortean wildness that you can use as well.

The PCs will be underpaid, poorly educated, free lance reporters for disreputable supermarket tabloids. Basically, the PCs are low rent Kolshack knockoffs who know TRUTH IS OUT THERE! But if they can't sell the story to an editor they can't pay the rent.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-25-2023, 09:36 PM   #465
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Could someone give me three or four examples of what is meant by "Lovecraftian horrors" in this context? I'm struggling with understanding what is meant.
The original Leviathan: A sea monster so powerful that no mortal can comprehend it let alone defeat it.

Some creatures imaginable in the context of infinite worlds (and which I took opportunity to insert bar stories of after I got the book). A Universe Eater for instance which appears every so many thousands of years and disappears.

A being that cares no more about humans than humans care about microbes, who might annihilate humans for no other reason but that it has nothing better to do.

Ungoliant

The "nameless creatures" below Moria that Gandalf talked of.

The Watcher in the Water.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:07 PM   #466
Astromancer

The Broken Gate

What did you learn scout?

The temple is mainly ruined. All the old gates are shattered. But a new gate was formed. It leads to an unknown world.

I trust you entered this world.

Yes Lord. It is strange and alien. Magic is weak and variable. Many small areas exist with no magic we understand. They are recovering from a great war. Much of the land is impoverished, but the recovered areas are highly prosperous. Their people follow a messianic cult. They speak of an anointed one, they call the lamb. But many have no faith or follow what faith they please.

No wonder they had a vast war.

The war didn't seem to have a religious cause.

Who leads this bizarre land.

An elected leader.

Who chooses this leader?

The people are said to do so.

It will take a long time to first understand and then correct this new land.

The war with the Dark Lord has been won, but the cost was brutal. The sun is dying.

The temple of the Star Mother has been shattered. Passage beyond this dying world is now limited to one strange warped world that has a name that means dirt. Worse, they don't understand that the Dawn Lord, Eternally Reborn Son of the Star Mother is the only rightful authority in the multiverse. They must submit to their lawful Lord.

For a people ignorant of magic and social propriety these "Mericans" are very skillful. Their guns will prove a serious challenge. Cars, electricity, email, helicopters, it's all bizarre. The philosophers will have to decide what's proper and get rid of the rest. This "Democracy" is clearly first on the list.

Basically, a TL3 high magic realm is invading the Southwestern USA through a nexus gate. The America that is being invaded has gone through a brutal war and is going through a post-apocalyptic collapse. However, the USA is pulling itself up from the chaos. Still, the nation is in a very fragile state. Getting the resources together to fight the invaders won't be easy.

As written, this America has been through a biological war. The other side fared worse because their protections against their own plagues were inadequate. This is a TL9 America. It's early TL9, but firmly TL9. However, the widespread poverty caused by the plagues makes the available technology limited in many areas. Also, many prototypes are highly functional but have never entered mass production for economic reasons.

The invaders aren't actually evil. They are people from a radically different culture fleeing a vast disaster. They have no experience with anything like democracy and have many cultural practices that Americans would have no tolerance for, like slavery and torture. The two sides will have a long period before they can get a common language. Let alone a common frame of reference.

I envision the PCs as being 300 to 400 point fantasy heroes beginning to understand that they might not be the good guys here. This would leave them in trouble with both sides.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-31-2023, 11:34 PM   #467
Inky

Haha, crafty idea, this sounds like it has lots of possibilities. It seems like, 'just defeated the Dark Lord, only to end up as the bad guys' is a pretty good piece of unexpectedness!

This might actually be a case where sword-and-sorcery characters have a chance against modern characters. The TL9 society will probably have high-tech stuff but mostly not be able to make more, for lack of people to run the infrastructure, and they're also down to much lower numbers so they don't have as much of an overwhelming advantage of numbers as might otherwise be the case, so they'll be batting at a much lower TL than 9 a lot of the time. And the TL3 people will have magic, if they can get any of it at all working in the TL9 world which you imply they can, whereas the TL9 ones won't know how - in theory they could presumably have some if they could steal information about how to do it, which could be a plot hook. (It seems like, since they're the PCs it's only fair for them to be fighting against heavy odds anyway, it's more awkward if the PCs are up against someone who's not a threat).

In theory, if things went well, the newcomers could actually be a help - if they're only a TL3-sized population and a lot of the TL9 population were wiped out in the war, there would actually be room, and having somebody around who knows how to do farming and other things at TL3 level is going to be really useful in a post-apocalyptic world, and again they have magic. If things didn't go well... well, the Conquistadors didn't all set out to be an evil empire either.

One possible endgame/epilogue (depending whether your game is large-scale enough for the PCs to be involved in this themselves or not) might be that they somehow restart the sun after all, perhaps with information gained from the TL9 people.
Another might be that they don't, but they go back years later and start building a dome in the high magic world and now they have access to high magic.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:50 PM   #468
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Haha, crafty idea, this sounds like it has lots of possibilities. It seems like, 'just defeated the Dark Lord, only to end up as the bad guys' is a pretty good piece of unexpectedness!

This might actually be a case where sword-and-sorcery characters have a chance against modern characters. The TL9 society will probably have high-tech stuff but mostly not be able to make more, for lack of people to run the infrastructure, and they're also down to much lower numbers so they don't have as much of an overwhelming advantage of numbers as might otherwise be the case, so they'll be batting at a much lower TL than 9 a lot of the time. And the TL3 people will have magic, if they can get any of it at all working in the TL9 world which you imply they can, whereas the TL9 ones won't know how - in theory they could presumably have some if they could steal information about how to do it, which could be a plot hook. (It seems like, since they're the PCs it's only fair for them to be fighting against heavy odds anyway, it's more awkward if the PCs are up against someone who's not a threat).

In theory, if things went well, the newcomers could actually be a help - if they're only a TL3-sized population and a lot of the TL9 population were wiped out in the war, there would actually be room, and having somebody around who knows how to do farming and other things at TL3 level is going to be really useful in a post-apocalyptic world, and again they have magic. If things didn't go well... well, the Conquistadors didn't all set out to be an evil empire either.

One possible endgame/epilogue (depending whether your game is large-scale enough for the PCs to be involved in this themselves or not) might be that they somehow restart the sun after all, perhaps with information gained from the TL9 people.
Another might be that they don't, but they go back years later and start building a dome in the high magic world and now they have access to high magic.
Setting up a balance between the sides was part of the idea. The main strongholds of the invaded people (as written Americans but pick who you like) would be largely beyond the invaders grasp. The few areas of Normal Mana in this world would become invader strongholds.

The world in question was a 5% Low Mana/95% No Mana world with very few native mages. It is now 15% Normal Mana/55% Low Mana/40% No Mana world. However that seems to still be in flux. The pre-War society is rebuilding.

The invaded are struggling to restore their old democracy. The invaders are monarchists who see the invaded as being governed by councils. Government by council, assembly or moot, is seen as unspeakably corrupt.

Cultural conflict is a major part of the setting.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-07-2024, 11:43 AM   #469
Astromancer

Editorial Committee

As we know civilization has collapsed. The Outer Ones have broken the world. Still there is a chance left. My Cabal of Wizards and allies has gained the power to rewrite history and reshape the world. In order to make this work we'll need to take imagery from popular culture. This allows a connection with the people. As fantasy is too easily reached and manipulated by the Outer Ones, and we need something farther away than so called "realistic fiction" I propose we use Science Fiction and Superhero Stories to reshape reality.

Yes I know that this crowd doesn't like that stuff. But remember, we are fighting for survival.

More later, I must go...

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 02-11-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:14 PM   #470
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Editorial Committee

As we know civilization has collapsed. The Outer Ones have broken the world. Still there is a chance left. My Cabal of Wizards and allies has gained the power to rewrite history and reshape the world. In order to make this work we'll need to take imagery from popular culture. This allows a connection with the people. As fantasy is too easily reached and manipulated by the Outer Ones, and we need something farther away than so called "realistic fiction" I propose we use Science Fiction and Superhero Stories to reshape reality.

Yes I know that this crowd doesn't like that stuff. But remember, we are fighting for survival.

More later, I must go...
It's later.

The new reality overwriting the broken reality left by the Outer Ones resembles a fairly crackbrained blend of Pulp Sci Fi, Weird Tales, Sci Fi comic strips, and Golden Age Superhero comics. The obvious cracks and missing pieces are drawn from comic novels, think Wodehouse, Stella Gibbons, and Preston Struges film scripts.

Earth resembles a pulp adventure Print the Legend version of the 1930s. There are important changes. Sexism, homophobia, Racism, and class bigotry are absent or vastly reduced. Weimar Germany is stable and progressive (Hitler illustrates greeting cards and is totally apolitical). Russia and China are stable Social Democracies, as is most of Europe and the Americas.

There are Moonbases and Mars is regularly visited and the Martian languages are becoming better known. It's now accepted that Mars was Atlantis. Or rather, distorted memories of ancient Martian visitors and journeys to Mars are the basis for the Myths of Atlantis, Lemuria, and Mu.

The Tech Level is 6+4^. Although most technologies in everyday use are TL6+1 or +2. Telepathy is an accepted fact (most mages hide in plain sight as Telepaths). This is a obviously unstable and

Ancora Imparo