Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2023, 10:12 AM   #381
Apollonian

Default Re: New Fantasy Setting Seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
How is its Resurrection magic? If you can do that en mass then some really reckless strategies become viable.
Hadn't thought of it, but I'd lean toward inefficient and requiring sacrifice - they'll use it for VIPs but nobody else. And it's obviously an ideal opportunity for Treachery.

I don't think they'd have zombie horsds either... just not in-theme for them as I envisioned it.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 08:44 AM   #382
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
Hadn't thought of it, but I'd lean toward inefficient and requiring sacrifice - they'll use it for VIPs but nobody else. And it's obviously an ideal opportunity for Treachery.

I don't think they'd have zombie horsds either... just not in-theme for them as I envisioned it.
This would make for a fun high-action, high-violence campaign.
I'd play at least a few sessions, although I'd bail if the GM wanted nothing more than an excuse for gun-fights.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 02:32 PM   #383
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Basically, a wizard botched a spell big time. He landed in the year 2012AD and trying to make sense of it all. He met two scientists (one of whom was a big fan of the Catweazel TV show.) They got government research grants and nice offices for the three of them.

Now the PCs are a class of wannabe wizards and wizardesses ready to study the high entropy art of magic. This whole school of magic is supposed to be secret. Supposed to be secret. All kinds of people from spies to tabloid reporters want in on the secrets. School won't be easy.
It seems really unlikely that government grants for this could be obtained without the whole business vanishing into a really secure area on a military base or suchlike.

RogerBW's Age of Aquarius campaign started with a similar premise (people in the 1960s start gaining psi powers), and we had quite a struggle to avoid becoming officially dead.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 04:24 PM   #384
Astromancer

Chessboards

They tell me you've gone mad Poimandries.

I simply have gained some new insights.

Anything you could explain?

Partially, not fully. The gods are at war. Instead of all out violence,
they play something that could be called Chess.

You say it could be called chess.

If chess could have seven players and millions of pawns, yes.

The Western Lands have had strange and glorious times of late. A means to create thousands of copies of a text has been developed, AND IT USES NO MAGIC! The secrets of sailing the deep oceans has been discovered. The lore of the Ancients has been brought to the printer's shop and made commonplace for all. New lands unknown have been discovered. Learning, art, literature, natural philosophy, and all the practical sciences are reborn. Magic shines with a brilliant light. Medicine leaps forward in effectiveness. It is the age of wonders and elegance. To bad every king and sovereign prince is at war with all his neighbors.

Basically, it's a TL4 world undergoing a Renaissance. Every European nation is a print the legend version of its most glorious and glamorous self. Gloriana rules Britannia, the Sun King rules Gaul, Poland extends from the Baltic sea to the Black sea, Hispania is flooded with silver, and Portugal with spices.

However this world is in turmoil. Seven pantheons of gods (Greek, Norse, Irish, Slavic, Egyptian, Persian, and Cannite) are engaged in a game to see who will rule the dawning age. The world is the gameboard and the PCs are the pieces.

This is a high magic swashbuckler game. Individual PCs will have a patron god. As long as they live up to that deity's values the PCs have Ridiculous Luck and three levels of Serendipity with the wishing enhancement. However the gods are picky. If you don't do it their way, you lose your luck. This can be an issue. Thor is one of the good guys, but he doesn't get strategy. Athena has many virtues, but she doesn't understand romance. The Dagda is a great guy, subtlety is beyond him.

Your PCs must accomplish great and glorious deeds while keeping a touchy Patron happy. May the gods be with you. But may they give you some breathing room too.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:35 PM   #385
Astromancer

I wonder if the Virtue system from 1st Ed Scion would be useful for the Chessboards setting. You might need different virtues.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-19-2023, 07:01 PM   #386
dcarson

For Chessboard I'd look at Divine Favor.

Many years ago Lee Gold wrote Lands of Adventure that had a system where in order to use clerical magic Piety had to be your highest stat. Besides just putting the highest state there and making others lower you could raise it by things like attend all major religious occasions, attend all religious occasions, tithing, tithing more than normal, etc.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 05:32 PM   #387
Astromancer

The Horns of Elfhame

They say an Irish Witch, they called her a Ban Dru, turned the stones against England.

Turned the Stones?

Placed a curse by performing a ritual in the ruins of an ancient Irish temple.

Did they clap her in Irons or shoot her?

I neither know nor care. It's the fact that she summoned the Fairy host against England that worries me!

Basically, the Fairy host has been summoned into this world. They are attacking the England of Queen Elizabeth Tudor. Luckily the Fairy Host has fairly primitive technology, about TL2. The Elizabethans are TL4 and fairly sophisticated. Most of Europe is staying well out of this fight as the weather has gone insane. The Pope has declared that the devil has tricked the Fairy Host into attacking England to destroy the Earth. All good Christians must aid Elizabeth in the fight. The kings are staying out, but many adventurers are in.

The Fairies have magic. The Elizabethans are learning fast. Meanwhile, the fairies don't seem to learn about technology. Still, at this point the Fairy Host has the advantage.

Note: John Dee has returned to England and has rejuvenated Elizabeth. So Elfhame might not have such a large advantage.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-28-2023, 02:31 AM   #388
Astromancer

Try stealing the idea of large numbers of humans turning into Elves, Dwarfs, Trolls, and Orks, they called it goblinization. The main switch up is no prior plague. People just start changing. Some ethnic groups (Native Americans, the Celtic peoples, etc) almost exclusively turn into Elves. Other less fortunate groups might turn into Orks or Trolls.

At first the change would be slow. A certain old people seeming to spontaneously rejuvenate. Some people would find that they are growing fangs.

Magic would be seeping into the world at the same time.

Basically, you start with a normalish world and watch it fall apart while the PCs try to achieve an important goal.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-28-2023, 07:52 AM   #389
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try stealing the idea of large numbers of humans turning into Elves, Dwarfs, Trolls, and Orks, they called it goblinization. The main switch up is no prior plague. People just start changing. Some ethnic groups (Native Americans, the Celtic peoples, etc) almost exclusively turn into Elves. Other less fortunate groups might turn into Orks or Trolls.

At first the change would be slow. A certain old people seeming to spontaneously rejuvenate. Some people would find that they are growing fangs.

Magic would be seeping into the world at the same time.

Basically, you start with a normalish world and watch it fall apart while the PCs try to achieve an important goal.
Part of the background for my Oubliette setting involves all the humans transforming into one of four races - Havlins (halflings), Dwarves, Elves, and Nornu (giants) - around the time the Dungeons the setting revolves around (and that give it its name) appeared. My original plan was that the transformation was sudden, akin to the change of humans into Cardoodles in Endtown (without people turning into monsters - although the monsters pouring out of the dungeons certainly helped effect something of an apocalypse), but a slower and more subtle transformation might be interesting.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:52 AM   #390
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Part of the background for my Oubliette setting involves all the humans transforming into one of four races - Havlins (halflings), Dwarves, Elves, and Nornu (giants) - around the time the Dungeons the setting revolves around (and that give it its name) appeared. My original plan was that the transformation was sudden, akin to the change of humans into Cardoodles in Endtown (without people turning into monsters - although the monsters pouring out of the dungeons certainly helped effect something of an apocalypse), but a slower and more subtle transformation might be interesting.
So... when you do a "goblinization" event (to borrow the term from Shadowrun, do you prefer to keep the changes physical, or do you also include mental changes as well, adding and removing racial mindset stuff like dwarven greed and crafting talent, goblin cowardice, or elven long-term thinking (to take some random cliched examples)?
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote