Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #21
malloyd

Default Re: How to make a character who can control fire and is immune to damage from it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Then again, I'm not sure exactly why accumulating rads is bad at all if you're immune to the effects of it (unless it's a lesser Resistant, or the Immunity has limitations like a power modifier or something attached to it).
Eventually, you hit results on the radiation table where if you don't roll, you can't get a critical success and won't get better. Above 4000 rads you get worse even on succesful rolls.

I'll confess that while the table does add to the realism of radiation results, I don't much care for the additional complexity. It probably should've used the disease or poison mechanics.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: How to make a character who can control fire and is immune to damage from it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
What's more unclear is how it interacts with ambient temperature, and effects that don't involve HT checks. There's a point where you start taking HP damage from sheer ambient heat, but we don't know where that is AFAIK; that point would be adjusted by Temperature Tolerance... not by Resistant/Immune.
It's more about what is conducting the heat than the exact temperature. You don't take damage from the blast of 450 degree air from opening your stove the way you would from getting hit by 212 degree water.

With humans, we generally take fatigue from making our core temperature move away from 98.6 too much or too fast or really from dehydration from our bodys' attempt to avoid that. We take damage when something causes our cells to burst usally from going above 160 degrees F or below 32 degrees F dependent on thermal conductivity.

I have no idea how you could make easy to use and remember rules that would come close to that level of accuracy.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
LemmingLord

Write invulnerable to fire on the character sheet, call it good.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
Write invulnerable to fire on the character sheet, call it good.
I'm pretty sure that only works for you. Most everybody else probably would want a point cost or something.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm pretty sure that only works for you. Most everybody else probably would want a point cost or something.
I guess if someone wasn't willing to just "write it down and call it good", then they might be willing to pull Invulnerability to Fire from 3rd Ed, and use that as a point value. Arguably, whether you try to build invulnerability via Insubstantiality, Regen, high DR, high Cosmic IT:DR, or maybe others, the costs start converging towards similar values to those given in 3rd Ed (they're often somewhat more expensive, for inarguably less true invulnerability, but still). For the sake of argument.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #26
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
(GURPS Powers, pg 90) for "Control Fire". It is its' own advantage.

(GURPS Powers, pg 92) for "Create Fire". It is its' own advantage.

(GURPS Supers, pg 104) for "Immune to Heat".
Resistant (Heat) (Occasional) (Immune, *1) is the RAW method.

(GURPS Powers, pg 118 - 119) for how to calculate "Invulnerable to Fire".
DR 30 (Limited (Heat/Fire), -40%), usually. You can do the Insubstantiality build it suggests, and add Cosmic (Rules Exemption; Can Shield Others w/ Body), +50%, so that you can shield others behind you while not suffering the effects yourself if you want that functionality.
IIRC, Control allows for a certain amount of DR against the element you control (unless that's one of RPK's house rules.) I'd consider subtracting that amount from the DR you need to buy.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #27
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
IIRC, Control allows for a certain amount of DR against the element you control (unless that's one of RPK's house rules.) I'd consider subtracting that amount from the DR you need to buy.
For standard Powers, its a Power Block Stunt [Powers.p168].
PK's House Rules (#4) makes it a normal effect, or doubled when used as a Stunt.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controlling fire, fire, immunity, immunity to fire, spells to advantages