Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #1
GameBuddah

Default GURPS to Dungeon Fantasy RPG - Need Advice

All,

Next Saturday, I'm supposed to run a one-shot prelude session to a dungeon delving campaign, I'll be running for my wife, my best friend and his sister.

Originally, I was going to run Old-school Basic D&D, but decided to run GURPS instead, and then Dungeon Fantasy RPG due to the advice of members of the forum. Three of us have played GURPS 2nd and 3rd Editions.

I purchased the Dungeon Fantasy RPG box set through my not-very FLGS, and I'm waiting for it to come in - but I suspect they have to get it from their distributor, so while I //should// get it before next weekend, I may not.

With that being said, what would I need to do to run a basic GURPS 4th session and have it be forward compatible with Dungeon Fantasy RPG?
GameBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #2
Michael Thayne

Default Re: GURPS to Dungeon Fantasy RPG - Need Advice

Consider getting the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1 and have players create characters with the templates in there. Optionally buy the second and/or third PDFs and let players use those too. This will get you characters mostly compatible with DFRPG, and what changes there are will mostly work out in the PCs favor. Unfortunately, the changes are numerous, subtle, and not well-documented, though I'm working on that.

Trying to create DFRPG-compatible characters without help from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is going to be tricky. The hardest part is I'm not sure how to explain how the spells get broken up among the various occupations without copy-pasting an entire chapter of DF1. Roughly, though, Wizards (with Magery) are mostly prohibited from learning healing magic with the exception of Lend Energy and Recover Energy, while Clerics (with Power Investiture) get healing spells and a smattering of the kinds of spells you'd expect from D&D.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #3
Taneli

You can get the DFRPG PDF's from Warehouse 23 for 40 bucks.

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...leplaying-game
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBuddah View Post
All,

Next Saturday, I'm supposed to run a one-shot prelude session to a dungeon delving campaign, I'll be running for my wife, my best friend and his sister.

Originally, I was going to run Old-school Basic D&D, but decided to run GURPS instead, and then Dungeon Fantasy RPG due to the advice of members of the forum. Three of us have played GURPS 2nd and 3rd Editions.

I purchased the Dungeon Fantasy RPG box set through my not-very FLGS, and I'm waiting for it to come in - but I suspect they have to get it from their distributor, so while I //should// get it before next weekend, I may not.

With that being said, what would I need to do to run a basic GURPS 4th session and have it be forward compatible with Dungeon Fantasy RPG?
Personally - and recognizing this is a shameless plug - I'd get Delvers to Grow* and download the GURPS Character Sheet program (not GCA yet). It will let you build the one-shot characters to whatever point level you'd like from 62 and up very quickly. They're fully compatible with the DFRPG; despite the artwork, they're not at all specific to Nordlond.

The mission you have before you is what they were designed for: spend a minimal amount of time shifting points around in order to generate a playable, competent character in the target point range FAST, so you get get to killing monsters and taking their stuff.

One of my Patreon subscribers built a character with DtGr and GCS in three minutes. He's had a lot of practice at it, but it really can be quick.

*This product launch is only shipping to the USA, but there's a PDF-only bundle as well. The Kevin Smyth (pronounced like writhe) Attack Pack also has Hand of Asgard for domain-specific clerics, and Nordlondr Folk for alternate racial templates ... and for kids, those seem to be a heavy draw.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Listen to Doug and buy that book, of course. Even if you had the DFRPG books in your hands right this instant, I'd advise it anyway as a fast-track to getting players to table. And if you're sufficiently desperate you can get the rest of DFRPG in PDF form but it's understandable if you don't want to buy the game twice. The only other advice I'd give is to be sure you use Low Tech rather than Basic for armor. That's probably the biggest single rules difference between the two. Beyond that, it's mostly small details (for example, the superior way DFRPG handles slam damage) which probably won't even pop up in a single session. DFRPG and orthodox GURPS are 95+% identical, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote