Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-26-2021, 07:04 AM   #621
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
And 22 tons isn't that much in volume. It's a little more than a cubic meter, 1½ cubic yards.

Pick it up and stick it in the back of your truck. I dare you.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #622
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pick it up and stick it in the back of your truck. I dare you.
Like I said, in volume.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:09 AM   #623
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

An Underdark setting where the ecology runs off of "mana blooms". Mana blooms can be used to grow food, provide light, and make mighty enchantments. They also let dormant critters grow to monstrous proportions and excess energy can result in hauntings/strange magical fields. The blooms last for a few months, and an area will keep blooming periodically from anywhere from one year to decades.

The players go out to find and clear mana blooms for the next generation. Hopefully they don't get eaten by something.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 11-30-2021, 07:33 AM   #624
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

A "resurrection" spell that doesn't necessarily stick spirits back in their original bodies, but can, for instance, stick them in the body of a defeated enemy.

This could be done to infiltrate the enemy, to gain a larger and stronger body, or because the previous body is in terrible shape.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #625
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
A "resurrection" spell that doesn't necessarily stick spirits back in their original bodies, but can, for instance, stick them in the body of a defeated enemy.

This could be done to infiltrate the enemy, to gain a larger and stronger body, or because the previous body is in terrible shape.
This kinda has the same feel as Altered Carbon, albeit more Fantasy than soft Science Fiction. If you're unaware, in that basically everyone has an implanted disc in their upper spine (right near the base of the neck) that contains their consciousness; so long as the disk isn't destroyed (or wiped - energy weapon shots to the head tend to fry it with an incidental EMP), they can be put into storage, uploaded into a different body (including purely artificial ones), etc. This has some... interesting effects on society.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #626
RyanW

Because we would not stop for Death

There is a project to develop a transmissible vaccine for use in countries that lack the infrastructure to provide widespread vaccinations. It gets highjacked by a group of True Believers and turned into basically a vaccination against natural death - providing near universal immunity and almost complete unaging. Average lifespan, barring accidents (or the inevitable starvation if adjustments aren't made quickly), stretches into multiple centuries. And it is dropped onto a world completely unprepared for it.

It would be a struggle to avoid an ecological and economic disaster, but if anyone reverses it they would technically become the greatest mass-murderer in history.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #627
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
There is a project to develop a transmissible vaccine for use in countries that lack the infrastructure to provide widespread vaccinations.
In my nascent Centrum Light campaign, something like this is one of the projects the Health Service likes to spread on other timelines. A nerfed version of a serious disease that gives immunity without much danger.

Of course, there will be some bad reactions and a danger of mutation into a deadly form, but this is Centrum, so being ruthless in pursuit of maximizing lives saved is the rational thing to do.

Then one of the medical survey teams notices a contagious amnesia outbreak (i.e. The Infinity Patrol getting sloppy with the Eraser drug.)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #628
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Of course, there will be some bad reactions and a danger of mutation into a deadly form, but this is Centrum, so being ruthless in pursuit of maximizing lives saved is the rational thing to do.
Part of the backstory of the webcomic Genocide Man involves the Genocide Project (the organization responsible for the Genocide Men, who basically exist to wipe out populations of "deviants" - genetically-enhanced humans), in order to stem the tide of engineered plagues assailing humanity, create a plague of their own that serves as a delivery system for a genetic therapy package. A big part of this is to upgrade the human immune system so further plagues won't work (although the Project has "the keys to the kingdom" - backdoors in the immune system they can exploit for their own plagues when needed); of course, they also take the opportunity to reduce overall human aggression in the package, in hopes of ending wars entirely.

It works, stopping future plagues and making the world much more peaceful overall. It also kills 1.5 billion people over the course of 3 years, out of the 5.3 billion population at the time... and that's with it not mutating (genetic therapy that isn't tailored to an individual, and performed without any preparation on the part of the patient, is unsurprisingly rather dangerous).
Old 12-11-2021, 05:08 AM   #629
RyanW

No Dog's Land

The trenches of the Great War, from the point of view of the war dogs. The PCs are a group of dogs, doing their best to keep their soldiers safe and sane.
(This popped into my head as an idea for a Don Bluth inspired animated film titled "How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down On The Farm" about a war dog trying to integrate back into civilian life after WWI)
Old 12-11-2021, 04:25 PM   #630
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
No Dog's Land
"Sarge, how do I get out of this chicken-chasing outfit?"
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote