Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2021, 10:55 PM   #21
(E)

Default Re: unstable terrain: how does it work?

I'm nowhere near my books and also fairly casual with the finer details of combat rules, but would cases involving knockback and performing some kicks require a roll to remain standing?
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:08 AM   #22
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I'm nowhere near my books and also fairly casual with the finer details of combat rules, but would cases involving knockback and performing some kicks require a roll to remain standing?

Yes.
If you miss with a kick, your roll vs. DX or fall down.
If you get knocked back, you roll vs. DX, Acrobatics, or Judo.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:14 AM   #23
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, that's interesting. I own hardly anything in the DF line, so I haven't seen that. This is GURPS DF, not the DFRPG you're quoting, right?

Is there anything about when you have to make a DX roll to remain standing? Is there terrain that's not bad enough to call for the -2 penalty, but that does give you a chance of falling? The Basic Set doesn't seem to talking about this, though Perfect Balance gives you bonuses to "keep your feet or avoid being knocked down"—but I can't find any statement that "when you do X in situation A you have to roll to keep your feet."
Yes, that's DF16 Wilderness Adventures and I was trying not to copy too much but here's the rest:

"Tricky Environments
Outdoor clashes are often fought on awkward or unstable battlefields. Bad Footing: Terrain that slows travel (Terrain Types, p. 22) regularly features areas of ground treacherous enough to influence combat. Examples are ice and snow in arctic terrain, pebbles in island/beach and mountain, sand in desert and island/beach, all swampland, and wet ground anywhere. "
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #24
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Martial Arts refers to -2 to attack and -1 to defend for bad footing. But you can buy that off with a 1-point perk, Sure-Footed. If that's all that's involved, then buying Terrain Adaptation for 5 points is just crazy; there's no reason anyone would ever do it.
Sure-footed reduces a penalty for an environmental hazard rather than making you "immune" to the move impacting events of an environment. Sure-footed wouldn't help you run across an ice without falling, tread across snow at full speed, or even with using non-combat skills.

Terrain Adaptation would allow you to run at full speed across a snow drift and use all your skills as if you're on solid ground.

I'd also consider Terrain Adaptation a defense (immunity) for any power that described as causing that terrain effect. Affliction - "ice slick that makes you fall down" - shouldn't work on a character that's paid to be immune to icy terrain.

Last edited by naloth; 09-28-2021 at 10:04 AM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad terrain, terrain adaptation