Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
nerdvana

Default [Powers] Create

I'm not sure if I've been told this is a legal build or not (couldn't find it in a forum search)... but is applying Permanent (+150% OR +300%) to Create a legal build?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: [Powers] Create

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I'm not sure if I've been told this is a legal build or not (couldn't find it in a forum search)... but is applying Permanent (+150% OR +300%) to Create a legal build?
I'd say no. Create already has a mechanic for permanent creations, by spending points to stabilize a construct. Adding Duration could extend the amount of time an unstabilized creation will persist, but not make it permanent without that additional expenditure.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
munin

No: "Area Effect and Extended Duration are off limits... To keep matter around indefinitely, use your Creation Pool." (p. P94)
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
zorg
Experimental Subject

I agree it wouldn't be RAW-legal. On the other hand, I don't care much for the mechanic where you stabilize creations with CPs; I think it's a bit clunky and doesn't mesh well the the rest of the rules. As a GM, I'd be OK with substituting the RAW mechanism with the standard application of Enhanced Duration enhancements. The main difference between the two methods is that with the Enhancement, you pay CP up-front, and with the RAW mechanism, you pay them when you need them.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
I agree it wouldn't be RAW-legal. On the other hand, I don't care much for the mechanic where you stabilize creations with CPs; I think it's a bit clunky and doesn't mesh well the the rest of the rules. As a GM, I'd be OK with substituting the RAW mechanism with the standard application of Enhanced Duration enhancements. The main difference between the two methods is that with the Enhancement, you pay CP up-front, and with the RAW mechanism, you pay them when you need them.
I concur and would house-rule this one personally.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
I think you still need some mechanic to control the total creations you can have at one time. Maybe there could be a way to improve the efficiency of creation points, much as higher Wealth values give more money per cp. For example, if Create gives a "free" pool of tens points, there could be a leveled advantage that increases the pool to 20, 50, 100 etc.

Also, it may be beneficial to find a way to unlink Creation Points from the $ value of the items created, attaching it instead to some more abstract measure of "usefulness." Not sure how to go about that however.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I think you still need some mechanic to control the total creations you can have at one time.
I don't really see why, to be honest. If the character starts rolling out created gold, that's not qualitatively different from a gambler earning money, a telepath making people give him their stuff, or what have you. Any character can use his abilities to make money, it's just that with Create, this is more obvious.
(The abuses you can pull when you start with hugh Wealth aren't pretty, either, btw. The Empire is striking back? Bah, tell the Emperor he's fired.)

You can treat created items/wealth the same way as other advantages earned in play, imo. That's the way the rules handle things in all other accounts, and it works OK, usually.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
I don't really see why, to be honest. If the character starts rolling out created gold, that's not qualitatively different from a gambler earning money, a telepath making people give him their stuff, or what have you. Any character can use his abilities to make money, it's just that with Create, this is more obvious.
(The abuses you can pull when you start with hugh Wealth aren't pretty, either, btw. The Empire is striking back? Bah, tell the Emperor he's fired.)
The way you deal with that is by disallowing that level of Wealth. And the way you would deal with the power to create gold freely would be to disallow Creation. Simple, no?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I think you still need some mechanic to control the total creations you can have at one time. Maybe there could be a way to improve the efficiency of creation points, much as higher Wealth values give more money per cp. For example, if Create gives a "free" pool of tens points, there could be a leveled advantage that increases the pool to 20, 50, 100 etc.

Also, it may be beneficial to find a way to unlink Creation Points from the $ value of the items created, attaching it instead to some more abstract measure of "usefulness." Not sure how to go about that however.
There is a simple way... just take from Filthy Rich to multiple levels of Multimillionaire, and let that cover the wealth-creating effects of your Create ability, as mentioned as an option right in Powers. Not being fond of keeping track of a Creation pool, I generally take that route in any case.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The way you deal with that is by disallowing that level of Wealth. And the way you would deal with the power to create gold freely would be to disallow Creation. Simple, no?

Bill Stoddard
Or by just noting that while Wealth gives some Status for free, it certainly doesn't necessarily give you the Rank or Status to order rulers around. And even Create Gold doesn't really imply infinite Wealth, or even enough Wealth to buy the world, because if you make too much you will of course crash the market for it.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, independent income, permanent, powers, q&a, wealth