Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default (spaceships) SM based Hull dST/HP

I have the awareness of the average brick.
I've just realised that the values are off by 1 SM, ie, SM +5 is given as 30ton, dST 20 (pg SS9), but if I used the values in Basic Set Campaigns (pg b558) , it should be dST 15.
Can anyone tell me, has this oddity been clarified, please?
TQ

Last edited by jacobmuller; 05-18-2022 at 09:58 AM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:25 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: (spaceships) SM based Hull dST/HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I've just realised that the values are off by 1 SM, ie, SM +5 is given as 30ton, dST 20 (pg SS), but if I used the values in Basic Set Campaigns (pg b558) , it should be dST 15.
TQ
Spaceships appears to use roughly 6x(Weight)^(1/3), right between the 4x of Unliving and 8x of Homogenous. I don't know if it's ever been outright stated why this is the case, however. My assumption has always been it's a result of compartmentalization/redundancy (seeing as dST is typically just a measurement of dHP).
Old 05-18-2022, 10:30 AM   #3
Rupert

Quote:
I've just realised that the values are off by 1 SM, ie, SM +5 is given as 30ton, dST 20 (pg SS9), but if I used the values in Basic Set Campaigns (pg b558) , it should be dST 15.
TQ
I don't recall if it has, but I've always just assumed that it's considered to be due to compartmentalisation, redundancies, etc. From a game design perspective, it's probably to help beef ships up a bit so they don't die (quite) as fast when hit by large guns and hyper-velocity missiles.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
TQ
I've never even seen it mentioned. The number or persons who use the formulas in Campaigns to produce numbers for Spaceship-sized objects may be fairly low.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:28 PM   #5
seasalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I don't recall if it has, but I've always just assumed that it's considered to be due to compartmentalisation, redundancies, etc. From a game design perspective, it's probably to help beef ships up a bit so they don't die (quite) as fast when hit by large guns and hyper-velocity missiles.
Which it doesn't do a great job of. The basics of the combat and construction systems in Spaceships are pretty good, but they need massive alteration to deal with spaceships having the durability of soap bubbles relative to how much damage weapons do. I'm planning on doing a post on a system I came up with (in fact it's why I registered a few days ago), but the basics are "quadruple all armor values and make them semi-ablative, step down all weapon damage by one size/caliber (two for lasers), get rid of the /2 armor pen modifier for missiles and shells, change proximity detonations to deal 1/10th cutting damage instead of full damage, and apply a 0.1 wounding modifier to any excess damage after destroying an armor section".
seasalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:45 PM   #6
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt View Post
Which it doesn't do a great job of. The basics of the combat and construction systems in Spaceships are pretty good, but they need massive alteration to deal with spaceships having the durability of soap bubbles relative to how much damage weapons do.
I think that is the by product of GURPS trying to be "realistic" it is a lot easier to do damage than to protect from it. As Issac Arthur likes to say "there is no such thing as an unarmed spaceship". F = ma rules supreme and you can really wreck someone's day with projectile weapons.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:27 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I think that is the by product of GURPS trying to be "realistic" it is a lot easier to do damage than to protect from it. As Issac Arthur likes to say "there is no such thing as an unarmed spaceship". F = ma rules supreme and you can really wreck someone's day with projectile weapons.
All true.

In one of the playtests I completely destroyed a SM+14 Gibralter Battlestation and all it took was a 16cm missile launched from a platform going 70 miles per second. I didn't launch just one missile of course but it only took one hit.

My ideas for dealing with this centered around improved anti-missile defenses possibly including layers of anti-missile drones. Fiddling with armor values is probably only nibbling around the edges.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:53 AM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
My ideas for dealing with this centered around improved anti-missile defenses possibly including layers of anti-missile drones. Fiddling with armor values is probably only nibbling around the edges.
The anti missile missile is a workable idea.

Of course, you could then go the full Rocky and Bullwinkle route and introduce the anti anti missile missile missile.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:32 PM   #9
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
All true.

In one of the playtests I completely destroyed a SM+14 Gibralter Battlestation and all it took was a 16cm missile launched from a platform going 70 miles per second. I didn't launch just one missile of course but it only took one hit.

It looks like it gets better at TL10+ when improved lasers come on line, but you still need boatloads of dedicated AMS lasers to handle it, but my playtesting is limited.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:32 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
It looks like it gets better at TL10+ when improved lasers come on line, but you still need boatloads of dedicated AMS lasers to handle it, but my playtesting is limited.
Oh, this was at TL10 and during the test for the mapped system so all the station's weapons opened up at maximum range. Main Batteries, missiles, everything and not just the Tertiary Battery.

Tags
basic set, spaceships