Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2023, 03:48 PM   #1011
Doctor Thantos

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Thanks for making this Eric. It is really great.

I am trying to make a missile. SM+3. Is there a weapon or self destruct module that I can use for warheads?

What module would I use to make a launcher on the mothership?

Right now I have it with 6 missile launchers (12cm) and only enough ammo for one round of launches to simulate a mirv warhead, that launches at range 10.

Any suggestions?
Doctor Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 05:42 AM   #1012
Snoman314

Obligatory comments on what an amazing piece of work this spreadsheet it. But actually though. It's such a fantastic resource.

I'm messing around with Ornithopter wings (SS7:12). The description there is pretty brief, but it does seem to say that each ornithopter system adds +1 to Handling, which I read as being in addition to the Handling bonus from having wings.

"Each system provides 0.25G acceleration in atmosphere only, and adds +1 to Handling in the air."

Currently that +1 Hnd is not being applied in the spreadsheet.

I tried creating a user system that copies from the Ornithopter and Manoeuvre Enhancement systems, but while it then says '+1 Handling' in the System notes, it's not added to the Hnd/SR stats. I poked around in the hidden cells, trying to to decipher things, and the best I could do is it seems like it's hardcoded to look for the "Manoeuvre Enhancement" system? But I'm not confident about that, and couldn't get it to add up correctly without breaking everything.

For now I can just make a note to use the 'actual' Hnd rating, but it'd be nice if it it'd add this value itself.
Snoman314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:00 PM   #1013
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

I am running into a problem with the Spaceships spreadsheet and more recent Excel editions.

"Some cells in this workbook contain data validation rules, which refer to values on other worksheets. These rules won't be saved." A whole raft of values are called out.

Excel will also tell me that there is a user-defined function that has the same name as an already defined function and that the already defined function will be used which will cause changes. The function 'phi' is indicated as the problem.

Edit: This is the same problem jbalsle reports up thread in post #1001. He has the exact text in his report/

I am using Microsoft® Excel® 2021 MSO (Version 2303 Build 16.0.16227.20202) 32-bit

Anyone else ever encounter this?

Last edited by Joseph Paul; 04-23-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Joseph Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:20 PM   #1014
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
"Some cells in this workbook contain data validation rules, which refer to values on other worksheets. These rules won't be saved." A whole raft of values are called out.
I have no idea why this would be happening. Cell Validation is used to create the drop down menus, and in Excel 2000 (which I use to create the original sheet) they CANNOT directly reference ranges in other worksheets. As I don't have a current version of Excel, and I don't know what the error even is talking about.

According to the MS Support site this may even be an erroneous warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Excel will also tell me that there is a user-defined function that has the same name as an already defined function and that the already defined function will be used which will cause changes. The function 'phi' is indicated as the problem.
This one, at least, is a non-issue. Phi is numerical constant approximately equal to 1.618. At one point I defined some things like that in the sheet when I was first working on the functions and promptly forgot about them. It appears that the newer version of excel just added a function to define it much as it has long had a function to define pi and e (euler's constant). Not using the version in my sheet shouldn't hurt anything, as I don't believe the value is even used.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 04-24-2023 at 05:12 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:53 PM   #1015
Dark_Daemon

Having trouble running it in LibreOffice. There's a lot of errors showing, half-size systems don't change the design table, that sort of thing. I've got the macros enabled. Anything I'm missing?

Error in the macro pops up: ScrubArray already defined?

Last edited by Dark_Daemon; 06-05-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Dark_Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:34 AM   #1016
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Daemon View Post
Having trouble running it in LibreOffice. There's a lot of errors showing, half-size systems don't change the design table, that sort of thing. I've got the macros enabled. Anything I'm missing?

Error in the macro pops up: ScrubArray already defined?
I have not done any real work on the sheet in a while, and no work on the OpenOffice version in a very long time. It is likely that it is incompatible with newer versions of the suites and you'll need to go back to one of the versions I mention in the first post as being compatible. Also make sure you're downloading the OpenOffice version, as the Excel version won't work with any version of LibreOffice/OpenOffice without a lot of updates (the reason I haven't tried porting it over again).
Kaboom-baya.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:29 PM   #1017
Doctor Thantos

Have I maxed out the spreadsheet?

I am running into an issue with it telling me it can't save anymore ships. No Empty Slots? How do I make more? Can I just delete all the Utility Vehicles I don't need?

My file is 132,292 KB. When I make a ship, I typically copy an existing table and rename it the name of my ship. I have about 45+ tabs.

I have noticed that my excel is super slow so I started saving my ships and then deleting the tabs but I got a message No More empty Slots. Is the proper way to use to only have one design table and just load / Save others?

I also have an issue with the checkboxes being out of alignment with their text.

Do I have to start over? Can I import the ships I made to a new version of the spreadsheet?
Old 06-20-2023, 07:56 PM   #1018
ericbsmith

Note most of what I say here applies to the Excel version of the sheet. The OpenOffice/Libre Office version supports some of this, but not in the exact same way and/or not completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Thantos View Post
Have I maxed out the spreadsheet?
Excel gets touchy if you create duplicate Design Table tabs. This sheet has a lot of buttons and eats up a lot of memory. It also does a lot of calculations and slows down calculations in general if you have multiple duplicates of the tab. I'd recommend against having more than two or three Design Tables duplicated, as it can hit memory limits, especially in older versions of Excel.

However, you can create duplicates of the ship Save Sheets, and these have fewer calculations and buttons so they don't slow down the entire spreadsheet to nearly the same degree. Each Save Sheet is capable of storing 256 ships. If you go to one of the Save Sheets or the Design Table there is a button in the upper-right corner called "Add Save Sheet." This will add a duplicate Save Sheet and delete all of the ships in the duplicate; or you can just right click on the tab on the bottom and select "Move or Copy" to make a duplicate tab, but then you'll have to delete the ships from it yourself.

Quote:
Do I have to start over? Can I import the ships I made to a new version of the spreadsheet?
Yes, it supports importing ships from older versions of the sheet. Open both spreadsheets in Excel, go to the newer spreadsheet doc you want to import ships into, go to one of Save Sheets, and click the Import Ships button. One of the drop-down menus allows you to specify the spreadsheet file name to import ships from, another allows you to specify which Save Sheet in that file.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 07-05-2023, 02:47 PM   #1019
Doctor Thantos

Thanks Eric, I got my file down to about 8MB from 170MB by saving all the design tables to a New tab Saved Ships 1 that was created by the macro button (I maxed out Unofficial Ships) and then deleting the extra tabs.

At some point my design table got jumbled and all the check boxes don't align with the words.

I am trying to import the Saved Ship 1 Sheet into the new download of the file but I keep getting a Runtime Error 9 Subscript out of range.

Any idea on how to fix it?

EDIT: I was trying to import from 2.0 V33 to 2.0 V20. It's not backward compatible.

Last edited by Doctor Thantos; 07-05-2023 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Figured out issue.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:10 AM   #1020
ericbsmith

Quote:
EDIT: I was trying to import from 2.0 V33 to 2.0 V20. It's not backward compatible.
Yeah, no, I've never checked for backwards compatibility since there's no real reason to import to an older sheet and, best case, would result in lost information. Also, if something didn't work I'd have to update the older sheet, which is pointless...

Anyway, I take it that you've now managed to import your ships into a current version of the sheet?
Kaboom-baya.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet