Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
DataPacRat

Default Some questions on Jobs

I have a character whose sleeping schedule doesn't match a 24-hour day, with a Dis/Ad combo to match. Is there a GURPS Disad to specifically add "Can only take freelance jobs", or is that just a special effect?

Said character also has Independent Income to represent some government benefits. Several such programs I know of ding a recipient's income, so they only get half of any external income, up to where they're earning twice the program's benefits. So with $800 of Independent Income, if the PC got a job supposedly worth $400, they'd only get an extra $200 above the II; if they got a job nominally paying $1600, they'd get $800 from the II and $800 from the job, for $1600; and any income above that is normal, no longer halved. I'm going to hazard a guess that GURPS doesn't have anything to cover any of this, but I thought I'd throw out a line to see if anyone had any ideas.

Also, are there any decent compilations of modern-era Jobs, matching whatever's changed between 3e and 4e? I've been able to flip through my 3e GURPS books to skim the job tables, but haven't transitioned my instincts to 4e yet.
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: Some questions on Jobs

1. Job: I would simply pick a job which either would typically assume, or can reasonably have, flexible working hours.

2. Sliding benefits.

I would either leave the benefits unsliding or just not bother modelling the effect with Independent Income.

Another way would be to abstract it if the job normally pays a randomised amount. You could make the job pay a fixed amount instead and charge a Perk.

Or you could charge a Perk to effectively provide the character with financial life support if they don't work for whatever reason. But that's really what you get for living in a modern society. When the savings run out, they become Poor rather than dead.

Another way is to calculate the average portion of the benefit that the character will receive over the period of a year and reduce the cost of the Independent Income accordingly ("Pays on a sliding scale, -40%" or whatever).

Last edited by mr beer; 08-06-2017 at 04:44 PM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
DataPacRat

Default Re: Some questions on Jobs

For discussion fodder, after going through my 3e books, I've found exactly two Jobs that match my PC's requirements: Late twentieth century or later, freelance hours, qualifying skill levels, at least 1 CP in relevant skills, and not triggering Cowardice with risk of severe injury. As it happens, there are three different versions of the one job, and four of the other. Picking one source apiece:

From Space: Computer Programmer, with a base pay (given skill level and that the PC is Poor) of $450 a month, with a job roll of 18-; and from Espionage, Writer (which, these days, probably translates to 'Blogger with a tipjar and Patreon'), with a base pay of $600 a month and a job roll of 16-.

Even with particularly good job rolls, neither is going to break the $1600/month level. So this simplifies one of my questions down to: Is there a Disad to represent "Jobs provide only half the income they otherwise would"? Debt /almost/ works, if it can be nudged onto a sliding scale.

(Of course, I may have slipped a step trying to translate wealth levels between 3e and 4e. If I have, I hope someone here can set me straight.)
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
independent income, job tables, jobs