Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
DangerousThing

Default Re: Quick Question: Parrying Unarmed Attacks--Thurst or Swing Damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
Swing damage, and if the weapon has no swing damage (or a way to calculate one), you don't hurt the attacker. I haven't yet seen a non-aggressive parry that defended with the tip of a thrusting weapon.
Do you mean that one can't do damage with an unarmed aggressive parry? :)
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Anthony

The whole setup is somewhat a-physical (a normal parry has quite low force, and should be something like 1d-4 regardless of the weapon being used), but RAW it's probably whichever you choose.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The whole setup is somewhat a-physical (a normal parry has quite low force, and should be something like 1d-4 regardless of the weapon being used), but RAW it's probably whichever you choose.
While it's true that *your* action may have quite low force, your opponent is still swinging at full force. I'm almost inclined to believe the damage is based on the attacker's swing, not the defender's.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
While it's true that *your* action may have quite low force, your opponent is still swinging at full force.
Your opponent isn't swinging at all. While parrying a kick could result in an edge-on hit, most punches are thrusts that will be deflected, not met force on force.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I say do like caltrops: The ATTACKER's Thrust damage, type inflicted based on the weapon doing the parrying.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I have used thrust damage, not because the parry was thrusting, but because even an aggressive parry is weaker than a true strike.
I've used the same house rule, or similar ones, in the past.
I think a lot of people have trouble with the RAW on parrying unarmed attacks. Full swing damage seems too high, but basing it on thrust doesn't always solve the problem either.
Personally, I have a bit of a problem with the fact that it's an attack you essentially get no defense against. You put your arm or leg out there, and it's meat for the chopper. It may be realistic (with lowered damage perhaps), but it's still not a lot of fun...
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #17
tbone

I'm in agreement with those who suggest reduced damage. A defensive action against a limb just shouldn't carry the same force as a dedicated attack against that limb.

Perhaps we can steal a suggestion from Martial Arts' Defensive Attack, which gives -1 dam/die. After all, the sort of parry under discussion here is very literally a defensive attack...

Hm, that also creates the possibility of the Aggressive Parry technique for weapons, bringing damage back up to the normal amount. Anything potentially broken in that idea?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
While it's true that *your* action may have quite low force, your opponent is still swinging at full force. I'm almost inclined to believe the damage is based on the attacker's swing, not the defender's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Your opponent isn't swinging at all. While parrying a kick could result in an edge-on hit, most punches are thrusts that will be deflected, not met force on force.
This is why I roll the attacker's damage, and use the weapon's injury modifier (defender's choice, if more than one). Parries really don't have much oomph behind them; I see most damage coming from the attacker's blow. I could see the justification for a Armed Weapon Parry technique, though. Actually, I think there is one floating around by Icelander, IIRC.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I'm in agreement with those who suggest reduced damage. A defensive action against a limb just shouldn't carry the same force as a dedicated attack against that limb.

Perhaps we can steal a suggestion from Martial Arts' Defensive Attack, which gives -1 dam/die. After all, the sort of parry under discussion here is very literally a defensive attack...

Hm, that also creates the possibility of the Aggressive Parry technique for weapons, bringing damage back up to the normal amount. Anything potentially broken in that idea?
This is similar to what I've toyed with myself. I feel like even Defensive Attack may be too damaging, especially on heavy chopping weapons. Perhaps use thrust at -1 per die, with +1 for two-handed weapons and whatever modifier is provided by weapon quality. Armed Aggressive Parry would allow a full-damage attack.

Something else I've toyed with is to allow "Aggressive Parry" against armed opponents, by parrying against the attacker's hand instead of the weapon. This would use the same Armed Aggressive Parry technique, but with a sizable additional penalty (both on the Parry and the counter-attack) based on the reach of the attacker's weapon.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The intent of the rule is to use the damage of the attack being parried. The weapon might be some Swiss Army knife with 100 attack forms, but the attacker has to pick one before rolling to hit. Use the damage of that attack form.

Those who dislike the size of the damage – and I agree it's excessive – might want to reduce Parrying Unarmed Attacks (p. B376) to a special case of Hurting Yourself (p. B379). First, don't limit self-inflicted damage to target DR. Second, change damage type to that of the edge of whatever you're parrying (cutting for anything with a swing cutting attack, crushing for just about everything else, and possibly burning or corrosion for energy swords), and remember that minimum damage is 1 point if the type is anything but crushing. Finally, apply any armor divisor on the weapon.

This is strictly a replacement for Parrying Unarmed Attacks (p. B376). Parrying Unarmed (p. B376) wouldn't change, because that's about mistiming a parry with your body and placing a body part directly in the path of a full-powered attack.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote