Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-30-2022, 01:21 PM   #21
Steven Marsh

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Companion 3

For those who have been waiting . . . wait no longer!

Dungeon Fantasy Companion 3 is now available on Amazon!

At least in the United States and — as noted in an earlier post — Italy. Oh, and Canada. And probably other countries... if not now, then hopefully soon as it makes its way around the globe.

This also means that it's now listed as part of our On Demand program.

Thanks for your patience!
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:30 PM   #22
thom

...and bought!
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:02 AM   #23
tbone

The drop of Companion 3 was a surprise. The $25 price was a surprise, too, until I saw what a big book it is. The biggest DFRPG publication yet: 174 pages vs 128 for Adventurers. (A hard copy from Amazon Japan is a bit over ¥6500, or $50+. I think I'll make do with the PDF alone for now.)

Yeah, I own many of the Pyramid issues with the original content, but I like having it all in one spot, spruced up with art, "lightly updated", and indexed.

Particular highlights:

Peter D's equipment kits are immediately useful (especially for instantly outfitting NPCs), and the spell components article keeps the concept nicely simple and optional.

I gave David P's Heroic Background Generator a quick spin; it performed admirably. Looking forward to seeing how players will welcome it.

I'll have to use Christopher R's encounter generator, quest generator, and new deathtraps before I can comment, but I know there are GMs who lust for these things.

Then we have four new professions, plus the nifty Five Easy Pieces to build characters (and professions) super-fast. (Would be nice to see Demon-Hunter join Undead-Hunter and Mage-Hunter in some future release.) Six pregens (including the one in the solo adventure). Lots of monsters and monster mods. A half dozen adventures, boosting the officially published DFRPG adventure count from two to eight. Really, really good essay-type articles by Steven M (I think I've read them all before, but they're worth a re-read). New spells and abilities and gear and magic items scattered about. Notes for using things with GURPS. And plenty of decent art. (What's up with the ladies on p34? One is a giant? Or the other is, like, a halfling's halfling?)

One bug: The solo adventure is exceptionally well done as an intro to the game (as people noted here after its first publication), but it carries forward an error from the original. Redhair the Quick's sheet lists 2d+3 swing dam for his rapier, but text entries repeatedly instruct the player to roll 2d-1, apparently forgetting the +4 dam from Weapon Master. That's a loss of 4 x 1.5 = 6 pts of damage, a big deal for combat outcomes, so watch out. (Or am I missing something?)

The wrap-up: This book may not excite players who own all the Pyramid issues, but for anyone else, it's a huge haul.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:41 PM   #24
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
The biggest DFRPG publication yet: 174 pages vs 128 for Adventurers.
Ahem. ;-)

Nordlondr Bestiary is 192 pages.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:38 PM   #25
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Nordlondr Bestiary is 192 pages.
Companion 3 is the biggest SJG publication in the line.

Nordlondr Bestiary is indeed heftier yet!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:45 PM   #26
Michael Thayne

Curious if anyone has noticed any changes to the text (including tables, formulas, etc.) that made them go, "oh, nice to see that cleaned up"?
Old 04-06-2022, 07:56 AM   #27
Anders

Amazon UK lists it as "out of stock", which makes me wonder if they know what the OD in POD stands for.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #28
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Companion 3 is the biggest SJG publication in the line.

Nordlondr Bestiary is indeed heftier yet!
I was sort of teasing, but sort of not. The Gaming Ballistic products that are Powered by GURPS ARE Dungeon Fantasy RPG stuff. While they're independently produced, Sean and I coordinate and communicate to the necessary extent to ensure that (a) nothing gets bent or broken too badly, and (b) nothing gets done that isn't bent or broken but also precludes folks from playing the game their way.

I'd look at examples such as Delvers to Grow, Hand of Asgard, and of course the Bestiary as products that are presented with a Norðlond slant on the fluff text, but the actual mechanics and content are almost entirely setting neutral.

(For what it's worth, the links above take you to my new, improved web store, hosted on Shopify. The prior GB online store experience was, well, awful and I rolled some of the proceeds from the Bestiary into drastically improving the experience. I hope you like it.)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:26 AM   #29
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
(For what it's worth, the links above take you to my new, improved web store, hosted on Shopify. The prior GB online store experience was, well, awful and I rolled some of the proceeds from the Bestiary into drastically improving the experience. I hope you like it.)
!! It's nice! And a heck of a lot peppier!
Old 04-07-2022, 12:18 PM   #30
MrCrowley

So I can play a dungeon delving Captain America. Awesome! However, the greedy, hooked-nose goblins is pretty icky. Especially since that not how DFRPG goblins have been shown so far
MrCrowley is offline   Reply With Quote