Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-03-2022, 08:23 PM   #2631
William

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

A popular wish in pre-modern games is some sort of ancient hand grenade, a weapon which GURPS High-Tech dates to TL4. Welp, tell your GM to take a gander at this, in PLoS One from four researchers at Lakehead University in Canada:

Quote:
The sherds derive from four small, thick-walled, sphero-conical vessels recovered from a destruction layer, dating between the 11th and 12th century, Jerusalem. ... The unique fourth sherd is from a stoneware sphero-conical vessel with very thick walls, no decoration and the residue supports the possibility it was used for the storage of chemicals or may have held the chemical ingredients for an explosive device, consistent with a medieval grenade.
11th/12th century is square in the middle of TL3, so this could push the timeline back at least one TL. Of course, there's no evidence that they were widely used, and the tech wouldn't be very mature yet, but as an advanced oddity from those wacky Holy Land scholars at the crossroads of East and West, hey, your would-be medieval mad bomber could yet ride!

See also the phys.org commentary, and acknowledgement that I was pointed to this by the latest Kobold Courier.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:08 PM   #2632
J Crocker

Was it near Antioch?
J Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:36 PM   #2633
awindeyer1226

Most of the game ideas that inspired our favourite games today are made from possible bugs that became features. Now we only get bugs that breaks the game.
awindeyer1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #2634
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Crocker View Post
Was it near Antioch?
'O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.'

I think there were some basic "iron bombs" in GURPS Low Tech that were available at TL 3, although I could be mistaken. I don't recall there being any grenades contained in pottery in there, however - just some paper bombs (giant firecrackers, really) and the above ones with thin iron shells.

And I kinda feel like awindeyer might be some sort of weird spam, but not 100% certain...
Old 05-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #2635
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Y'know, when it comes to using bleak humor to try to find laughter in the most horrific of circumstances, the Ukrainians demonstrate absolute mastery.

These people need to win the war, because a free Ukraine, clearly, will make phenomenal contributions to Western culture.

For instance, you could set a really good Twilight 2000-type game, there, and read https://ukranews.com/en/news for campaign ideas and unique NPCs.

Content warning, though. the site, Ukraine and World News, Today, has a lot of stories that are really hard to read.

Last edited by tshiggins; 05-07-2022 at 10:51 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:18 AM   #2636
Anders

7 square kilometers of land in the middle of Europe remains unclaimed. Why?

Is it haunted? Does it have ritual significance? Do several leylines cross there? Is it home to... something?
Old 05-10-2022, 07:55 AM   #2637
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
7 square kilometers of land in the middle of Europe remains unclaimed. Why?

Is it haunted? Does it have ritual significance? Do several leylines cross there? Is it home to... something?
Can you tell me where it is so I can read about it?
Old 05-10-2022, 09:38 AM   #2638
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I believe the reference is to the disputed border between Croatia and Serbia. Each country favors a slightly different technical definition of the border, and both definitions happen to exclude a particular small area (while including more valuable disputed areas). There's a similar (and significantly larger) mutually unclaimed area on the border between Egypt and Sudan.

If your PCs are considering claiming this land as their own nation, they're too late- some weirdo already has.

Last edited by ravenfish; 05-10-2022 at 09:43 AM. Reason: grammar
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #2639
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I believe the reference is to the disputed border between Croatia and Serbia. Each country favors a slightly different technical definition of the border, and both definitions happen to exclude a particular small area (while including more valuable disputed areas). There's a similar (and significantly larger) mutually unclaimed area on the border between Egypt and Sudan.

If your PCs are considering claiming this land as their own nation, they're too late- some weirdo already has.
A forest on the shores of the Danube sounds like it might have seen a lot of history in the roughly 50,000 years modern humans have lived in Europe. Could have been all sorts of shrines there and rituals performed...

And Egypt and Sudan, well, that could be even older.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #2640
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Some clown claimed it for a sovereign state called “Liberland”, and you can perhaps find details by searching on that term.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox