Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #1
Rhino

Default Garrote Question

“A garrote is a cord or wire used for strangling. You can use it only to attack unaware or helpless prey – and only from behind. You must target the neck at -5 to Garrote skill. Consider risking an All-Out Attack (Determined) for +4 to hit! Your victim may attempt to parry with a hand or close- combat weapon at -3. During a surprise attack (pp. 26-27), mental stun gives another -4 to this parry.”

If the garrote can only be used against a helpless or unaware opponent, how does the helpless or unaware opponent ever get an active defense?
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Garrote Question

Good question. This is confusing. My interpretation is that the target gets a defense roll because this sort of attack, by definition, crosses their path of vision. Maybe it's as much a reflexive reaction as a typical parry?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Garrote Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
“A garrote is a cord or wire used for strangling. You can use it only to attack unaware or helpless prey – and only from behind. You must target the neck at -5 to Garrote skill. Consider risking an All-Out Attack (Determined) for +4 to hit! Your victim may attempt to parry with a hand or close- combat weapon at -3. During a surprise attack (pp. 26-27), mental stun gives another -4 to this parry.”

If the garrote can only be used against a helpless or unaware opponent, how does the helpless or unaware opponent ever get an active defense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Good question. This is confusing. My interpretation is that the target gets a defense roll because this sort of attack, by definition, crosses their path of vision. Maybe it's as much a reflexive reaction as a typical parry?
I think that's a good intepretation, Dalin, and this whole thing is a bit of a "specific trumps general" thing. It's saying that despite it being an attack from behind that requires surprise [1], the target still gets a defense.

This is something like "I stick my hand between the garotte and my neck."

[1] having done some training with belts and ropes in grappling, and using the opponent's clothing as a choking aid, this is somewhat dubious to say "never can." But...that free perfect wrap-around that proceeds directly to strangulation is probably reasonably well represented by "only by surprise." I'd certainly allow one to grapple for it, and my wife and I worked out a few ways to transition from both handles of a garotte in one hand to a nice choke. For research purposes.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote