Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2023, 11:55 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default How would you price the ability to become absolutely silent?

Two prices, for reference:

Silence [5/level] is a leveled advantage that gives +2 per level to Stealth when not moving, or +1 otherwise, only applying to listening.

Obscure (Hearing) 10 (Defensive, +50%; Stealthy, +100%) [50] allows you to project an aura of absolute silence in a 2-yard radius around you.

Being able to become completely silent on a personal level is strictly worse than the latter, so it must be cheaper, but I don't know how much. Would [25] be too cheap?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:01 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: How would you price the ability to become absolutely silent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Being able to become completely silent on a personal level is strictly worse than the latter, so it must be cheaper . . .
I'm not sure about that. The area of silence is much easier for someone to notice, simply by walking into it and noticing a suspicious silence.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:07 PM   #3
Anders

I agree with johndallman. I think [50] (10 levels of Silence) is a pretty fair price, actually. It's similar to Invisibility, but there's no encumbrance penalty. And then +10% for Switchable.

You could even cheese it to the point where you buy 5 levels with the (not while standing still) Accessibility, which would maybe be worth -20% to -40%.
Old 06-22-2023, 12:51 PM   #4
Donny Brook

With Obscure, the utility vs. inconvenience of an area effect are a wash. The resulting point value matches the point value of 10 levels of Silence at [50].
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 02:39 PM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
With Obscure, the utility vs. inconvenience of an area effect are a wash. The resulting point value matches the point value of 10 levels of Silence at [50].
I'm not sure I'd put it quite that way. Obscure or high levels of Stealth aren't quite the same thing as you being completely silent. They extend to things in contact with or quite close to you are too - your clothes don't rustle, the wind doesn't make noises blows around you or blows your hair into things, the ground you are walking on doesn't squeak etc. If you were looking for just [you] become totally silent, that's almost a feature - I let you have at will suicide as a perk, so 1 point max. It's the extending slightly into your environment that allows it to add to Stealth and makes it something more than freeze motionless.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:04 PM   #6
Varyon

While I feel it gave too small of a discount, GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery went with (for the No-Smell spell) a Self-Only -5% Limitation, so that would be the RAW option for an "I make no noise" ability; you'll of course still need Defensive (so it doesn't render you unable to hear anything) and Stealthy (so it's actually silence, rather than a loud noise that drowns out everything else).

Personally, I'd be more inclined to essentially take away the free level of Area Effect that's built into the cost of Obscure. As that is normally +50%, that implies somewhere around -33%*; possibly round it to -35%. If not using Multiplicative Modifiers in this instance, that means you have Obscure Sound 10 (Defensive +50%; Stealthy +100%; Self-Only -35%) [43]. If you are using Multiplicative Modifiers in this instance, that price drops to [32.5], which rounds up to [33]. Do note that the same methodology would result in a visual version having the same cost - but of course these only apply to human-spectrum sound or vision - you'll need to add one or more instances of Extended to cover others (such as Ultrasonic Hearing, Ultravision, etc).
Old 06-22-2023, 02:15 PM   #7
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
While I feel it gave too small of a discount, GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery went with (for the No-Smell spell) a Self-Only -5% Limitation, ...
Had to look that up, it is not self only, but "Subject’s scent only" which is different.

In Sorecery - Sound Spells you have the "Hush" spell:

The subject (an object or living being) becomes unable
to produce sounds, including in the subsonic and ultrasonic
ranges, either accidentally or on purpose. This makes the subject
invisible to geophones, sonar devices, ultrasonic motion
detectors, and Vibration Sense (p. B96).

it uses the "No Area of Effect, ‑50%" to represent that it is only the person, and not the area around them.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 02:39 PM   #8
Celjabba

With 'no area of effect' 'self-only', the floor you are walking on may make creaking noises. So could your clothes, although many gm would allow them to be covered.
Firing a gun, hitting something, writing... all of this would not be silenced.
It would cover breathing, speaking, the heart beats and other internal noises, hiting yourself, and perhaps protect against active sonar.

Last edited by Celjabba; 06-22-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 05:24 PM   #9
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Had to look that up, it is not self only, but "Subject’s scent only" which is different.

In Sorecery - Sound Spells you have the "Hush" spell:

The subject (an object or living being) becomes unable
to produce sounds, including in the subsonic and ultrasonic
ranges, either accidentally or on purpose. This makes the subject
invisible to geophones, sonar devices, ultrasonic motion
detectors, and Vibration Sense (p. B96).

it uses the "No Area of Effect, ‑50%" to represent that it is only the person, and not the area around them.
[40] would conveniently make it cost the same as Invisibility. I honestly think it's a bit less useful, but it definitely shouldn't cost more. So that's probably what I'll go with.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
silence, stealth