Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #41
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Resistant to Posions (+8): Poisons for casual consumption and/or showing off

That sounds like a job for the Invention rules.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #42
lwcamp

Default Re: Resistant to Posions (+8): Poisons for casual consumption and/or showing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The situation it comes up is for sucking venom out of a snake bite. Snake bite kits include a suction bulb to do the job, but in theory it can be done by sucking (as noted, however, it's risky).
It's also been shown to be useless. And if you cut the wound to try to let you get more of the venom out (which is also useless), you just end up with a possible source of infection and a bleeding wound in addition to a limb full of venom.

Seriously, if you are ever bitten by a venomous snake, or even one that you are not sure is venomous, don't try to suck the venom out. Don't try electroshock therapy, or whiskey, or any other home remedy. GET TO A HOSPITAL. Stay calm, keep the bitten body part at heart level, and have someone take you to the emergency room. They have antivenoms there that can clear the stuff out, and proper medical care for keeping you alive when the venom shuts down various vital body processes. In some parts of the world, a compression bandage wrapped around the limb helps give you more time before you get to a hospital (but not in the U.S.A, unless it's a coral snake - or rattlers and copperhead and cottonmouth vipers have venoms that don't work well with compression bandages).

Okay, enough of that digression. Back to discussing eating poisonous things ...

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #43
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Honestly, there should probably be a "different biochemistry" ad, disad, or 0p feature out there; things that react differently to specific toxins than humans may also react differently to a whole lot of other substances as well. A lot of biological points would probably be totally ineffectual on aliens, not because the aliens are specially poison resistant, but because they just don't have the receptors targeted by those poisons.
I believe that immunity to a specific poison is a perk.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #44
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I believe that immunity to a specific poison is a perk.
Yeah, but that's not what I was talking about.

Tags
poison, resistant