Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
Chorpa

Default Resistant (Cold) instead of Temperature Tolerance.

I am creating races for my version of GURPS Forgotten Realms. Been pondering the problem when trying to create the Arctic Dwarf race template. My first instinct was ofcourse to use Temperature Tolerance do increase their hardness for the cold spectrum. But after reading through the Advantages I have been thinking that the Resistant advantage better suits my view of their race. It would still have the normal comfort range as humans but then get a bonus to it's HT rolls when encountering cold effects, this bonus can be increased up to immunity. Ofcourse resistant does not give any Damage Resistance against Cold attacks just a high adaptibility to cold enviroments. Resistant seem to mostly focus on diseases and poisons but there are suggestions for other "enviroment hazards" like seasickness and see no problem using that instead of Temperature Tolerance when I read through the rules on Cold in Basic Set. What do you think about this?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Resistant (Cold) instead of Temperature Tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorpa View Post
I am creating races for my version of GURPS Forgotten Realms. Been pondering the problem when trying to create the Arctic Dwarf race template. My first instinct was ofcourse to use Temperature Tolerance do increase their hardness for the cold spectrum. But after reading through the Advantages I have been thinking that the Resistant advantage better suits my view of their race. It would still have the normal comfort range as humans but then get a bonus to it's HT rolls when encountering cold effects, this bonus can be increased up to immunity. Ofcourse resistant does not give any Damage Resistance against Cold attacks just a high adaptibility to cold enviroments. Resistant seem to mostly focus on diseases and poisons but there are suggestions for other "enviroment hazards" like seasickness and see no problem using that instead of Temperature Tolerance when I read through the rules on Cold in Basic Set. What do you think about this?
Resistant to Cold is an Occasional category per (GURPS Supers, pg 104). This makes you resistant to stuff that has a resistance check, but doesn't do anything against damage/injury.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Resistant to Cold is an Occasional category per (GURPS Supers, pg 104). This makes you resistant to stuff that has a resistance check, but doesn't do anything against damage/injury.
Neither does Temperature Tolerance. And treating it as Resistant will help protect against magical cold-based Afflictions, which TT won't do. I think it's a fine solution, especially in a (dungeon) fantasy setting.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
reddir

The temperature range is just a range. As long as you keep the size of the range constant, you can move it up or down at no cost.

If you move it down, their lowest comfortable temperature would drop. But so would their highest comfortable temperature. So they wouldn't mind 10F weather but 70F might be uncomfortably hot for them.

*just a qualitative example, I didn't look up the exact numbers.

Last edited by reddir; 06-30-2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: disclaimer
reddir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
Humabout

Temperature Tolerance is nice if you don't want to even have to roll because of heat/cold-related issues within a wider range of temperatures. Resistance is nice if you don't mind rolling but want to fail less often. DR helps with damage resulting from cold or shock; I'd say DR 2 (Limited, Cold, -40%) [6] will handle all but thermal shock, which might go as high as 2 x (18-HT), if the GM assesses frostbite on top of the normal FP loss, but that would be pretty extreme.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Chorpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Cool! I don't have GURPS Supers since I am not to fond of that genre. But seems like I was not completely out of line in my thinking. I was rating it Common category using the guidelines on GURPS Basic p. 46 in the Limited Defenses box. Guess I will just change it to Occasional so it is in line with GURPS Supers then. ;-)
Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Trigonomicon

Remember that the common/uncommon categories are setting-dependent. If offensive ice magic and frost-breathing monsters are usual, "Cold damage" might qualify as Common.
Trigonomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorpa View Post
Cool! I don't have GURPS Supers since I am not to fond of that genre. But seems like I was not completely out of line in my thinking. I was rating it Common category using the guidelines on GURPS Basic p. 46 in the Limited Defenses box. Guess I will just change it to Occasional so it is in line with GURPS Supers then. ;-)
Cold is Occasional.
Heat is Occasional.
Thermal Stress is Common.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigonomicon View Post
Remember that the common/uncommon categories are setting-dependent. If offensive ice magic and frost-breathing monsters are usual, "Cold damage" might qualify as Common.
(Metabolic Hazards) > (Thermal Stress) > (Cold).

The only way that (Cold) can be Common is if (Heat) doesn't exist.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Refplace

Yeah for DF especially I think Resistance is a better fit.
If the source material says bonus to save then Resistance best emulates that.
If you do not adjust thier comfort range then they may still have to roll to avoid FP Loss from freezing but at least they get the Resistance bonus.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resistant, temperature tolerance