Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 07-09-2023, 04:05 PM   #1
ParaLogia

Default "Just Desserts" Side Quest order of operations

The "Just Desserts" Side Quest (from Munchkin Side Quests 2) lets you go up a Level when someone Curses you, and it can be the winning Level.

Say the player with the side quest is Level 9, and someone else plays a "Lose a Level" curse on them. Does the curse fully resolve before the Side Quest can be fulfilled, or can the player reveal the quest and reach Level 10 (to win) as soon as the curse hits the table?

My guess is the former, but I'm not sure.
ParaLogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:03 PM   #2
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Default Re: "Just Desserts" Side Quest order of operations

The curse must fully resolve, so you'd lose the level, and then gain one. We don't have a lot of cards that interrupt things, when we do it's pretty specifically spelled out.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:55 PM   #3
ParaLogia

Makes sense, thank you!
Old 07-11-2023, 11:18 PM   #4
ParaLogia

Sorry for the double-post, but I thought of some follow-up questions.

1a) Same scenario as the OP (someone plays a "Lose a Level" Curse on me). Instead of revealing the quest immediately, can I first play a GUAL to bring myself back to Level 9, and then reveal the quest to win? Or did I close my own window of opportunity for completing the quest by playing a different card?

1b) (if the answer to 1a is No) What if someone else played the GUAL (or any other card) before I got to reveal my quest? Do I lose my opportunity to complete a side quest as soon as any actions occur after the triggering effect? Even if the actions/cards played are completely unrelated to my quest?

2a) (if the answer to 1b is No) Slightly different scenario: Instead of a "Lose a Level" Curse, someone plays a different Curse (e.g. "Lose Your Class") on me. Before I can reveal the quest, another player jumps in and plays a Wishing Ring to cancel the Curse. Can the quest still be fulfilled, even if the Curse was canceled?

2b) (if the answer to 2a is No) Same scenario as 2a, except that the other player doesn't play the Wishing Ring until after I've revealed the quest. Does the Wishing Ring retroactively prevent me from fulfilling the quest?
Old 07-12-2023, 07:54 AM   #5
Brf

Things in Munchkin resolve in order.
In this case, the Curse happens first, and makes you lose a level. You would need to reveal your quest before anything else happens. So your 1a-1b would not be valid, since the quest is not being revealed immediately after the curse.

In 2a, the Wishing Ring is an interrupt played immediately after the curse, so it cancels the curse, so the quest is no-longer valid to claim.

In 2b, the Wishing ring is too late to cancel the curse, since this curse is an immediate effect and the quest has already been played, so it is no-longer immediately after the curse.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote