Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2024, 09:18 AM   #1
Bathawk
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default The Classic Switchblade

Surprised I couldn't find the stats on a switchblade in basic book or in martial arts, but I guess I should just use the stats for a "small knife"?

But then I started thinking, my Dad once showed me a switchblade he had, and I guess outside of the "gimmick" it didn't seem like a high quality knife...showy maybe...but if anything, I would think that same gimmick would be rife with issues

So does anyone have input? Are the stats included elsewhere? Or am I overthinking it and should just stick to "small knife"?

Last edited by Bathawk; 02-26-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:52 AM   #2
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: The Classic Switchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post

So does anyone have input? Are the stats included elsewhere? ?
Yes, they are in High Tech along with modern TL8 "tactical folders" whihc are much higher quality.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:52 AM   #3
Culture20
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default Re: The Classic Swutchblade

I believe its popularity (and infamy) stems from its being more easily concealed in any pocket or purse, no sheath required.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:36 AM   #4
RGTraynor
 
RGTraynor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pioneer Valley
Default Re: The Classic Swutchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I believe its popularity (and infamy) stems from its being more easily concealed in any pocket or purse, no sheath required.
Nah. More that it was the routine and dramatic weapon used in cinematic portrayals of 1950s-60s street gangsters; a switchblade is no tougher to conceal than a Boy Scout knife. Having once owned one (illegally, given my state), I agree that its utility as a weapon is limited to fights between switchblade wielders. "That's not a knife ... THAT's a knife" remains one of the better quotes for a reason.
__________________
My gaming blog: Apotheosis of the Invisible City

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:05 AM   #5
Polydamas
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central Europe
Default Re: The Classic Swutchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
Nah. More that it was the routine and dramatic weapon used in cinematic portrayals of 1950s-60s street gangsters; a switchblade is no tougher to conceal than a Boy Scout knife. Having once owned one (illegally, given my state), I agree that its utility as a weapon is limited to fights between switchblade wielders. "That's not a knife ... THAT's a knife" remains one of the better quotes for a reason.
If you mean a large locking folding knife like an Opinel, then it needs two hands to open. Switchblades were fashionable with criminals because they were concealable but could be opened quickly with one hand (and because the mechanical aspect makes the inner 14 year old happy). Of course its not that hard to conceal a fixed-blade knife, and it is a better weapon.

Tactical folders offer the same combination of compact, one-handed opening, and gee whiz (and you can get them in matte colours which are tacticool today, like a switchblade with chromed furniture was cool in the 1950s).
__________________
"It is easier to banish a habit of thought than a piece of knowledge." H. Beam Piper

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 02-28-2024 at 11:38 AM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:05 AM   #6
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: The Classic Switchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
So does anyone have input? Are the stats included elsewhere? Or am I overthinking it and should just stick to "small knife"?
Pretty much yeah. Likely with cheap.

Despite appearances in some fantasy settings, actual switchblades require coiled torsion springs of a size and quality that are not available before the mid-19th century. And switchblades reputation is based more or less entirely on scare campaigns run in the mid 20th century. In fact, they make relatively lousy combat knives [because] of the opening mechanism - between the risk it might fail when you needed it and the issue of making the mechanism sturdy enough to take combat stresses without snapping off or folding closed on the hand you are gripping it with, and the fact it doesn't actually take any longer to draw a knife from a sheath than it does to deploy a switchblade, well....

Note too that anything bigger than a small knife is largely irrelevant in any folding or retracting format - if the blade is larger than a one handed grip, you can't conceal it within the handle without making the handle ridiculously large. Not to mention the longer blade offering a longer lever arm to make that stress on the mechanism problem even worse.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:16 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor
 
Kromm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Re: The Classic Swutchblade

It's described on p. 197 of High-Tech, with stats on p. 200. It amounts to a cruddy small knife you don't want to parry with.

I nearly lost a finger to an expensive folding knife, not a switchblade, when its well-made, solid lock failed anyway. In fact, this happened twice with two different knives, neither of them cheap. I've handled both folding and out-the-front switchblades, and would say that "expensive," "well-made," "solid," and "not cheap" wouldn't describe any of them . . . I'd hesitate to use one as a weapon.
__________________
Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch <kromm@sjgames.com>
GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games
My DreamWidth [Just GURPS News]
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:32 AM   #8
Donny Brook
 
Donny Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Snoopy's basement
Default Re: The Classic Swutchblade

A sprung locking folder (switch blade) could be made as strong as a good quality manual-opening locking folder.

But even in a good quality locking folder, the locking parts are smaller and more fragile than a solid tang and handle. There's no way around that.

In the kind that open out the front, the best quality will have a solid bar than slips into part of the space in the handle occupied by the closed blade. This will make it quite sturdy for the force of thrusting, but again there is no way to compensate for the lack of robustness for swinging and parrying.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:48 PM   #9
Bathawk
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default Re: The Classic Swutchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It's described on p. 197 of High-Tech, with stats on p. 200. It amounts to a cruddy small knife you don't want to parry with.

I nearly lost a finger to an expensive folding knife, not a switchblade, when its well-made, solid lock failed anyway. In fact, this happened twice with two different knives, neither of them cheap. I've handled both folding and out-the-front switchblades, and would say that "expensive," "well-made," "solid," and "not cheap" wouldn't describe any of them . . . I'd hesitate to use one as a weapon.
Thank you. I have the pdf, but when I searched for "switchb" it only came up with four matches for "switchboard"
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 03:43 PM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: The Classic Swutchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
Thank you. I have the pdf, but when I searched for "switchb" it only came up with four matches for "switchboard"
You're using a case-sensitive search. Searching for "Switchb" should find the right item.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flick knife, folding knife, gravity knife, switchblade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.