Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #211
tshiggins
 
tshiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Word has arrived in Lisbon that a fugitive is to arrive wanted for espionage, sedition, terrorism, and as an accessory to the recent assassination of a German officer. He is said to be accompanied by an attractive women. The PCs are officers in the local police.
As an added complication it turns out that this fugitive carries a visa signed by Charles de Gaulle. Maintaining neutrality between beligerants is hard enough. This visa will involve the local government in someone else's civil war. And whatever the PCs do they know uncomfortably that if a diplomatic mistake, is made the government won't hesitate to explain it as the work of "overenthusiastic officers".

What do they do when Victor Lazlo comes to town?
Depends. Is there such a place as "Rick's Café Américain"? :)

Seriously, this would be a great espionage/intrigue setting, but you'd want to build it out more, and define the relationships between the local constabulary and the NAZI liaison, the Vichy military, the Free French resistance, and the Moroccans.
__________________
--
MXLP:9 [JD=1, DK=1, DM-M=1, M(FAW)=1, SS=2, Nym=1 (nose coffee), sj=1 (nose cocoa), Maz=1]
"Some days, I just don't know what to think." -Daryl Dixon.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #212
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Word has arrived in Lisbon that a fugitive is to arrive wanted for espionage, sedition, terrorism, and as an accessory to the recent assassination of a German officer. He is said to be accompanied by an attractive women. The PCs are officers in the local police.
As an added complication it turns out that this fugitive carries a visa signed by Charles de Gaulle. Maintaining neutrality between beligerants is hard enough. This visa will involve the local government in someone else's civil war. And whatever the PCs do they know uncomfortably that if a diplomatic mistake, is made the government won't hesitate to explain it as the work of "overenthusiastic officers".

What do they do when Victor Lazlo comes to town?
Not much unless there's a new wrinkle. They can avoid trouble by just not noticing Lazlo. It might get interesting, though if a prominent German is killed in Lisbon while Lazlo is in the vicinity.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #213
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Depends. Is there such a place as "Rick's Café Américain"? :)
I'm sure there is in Casablanca by now. It's to obvious an advertising gimmick. But it wouldn't be the real one. I was talking about Lisbon however. If you remember at the end of the movie Lazlo had gotten his hop to Lisbon from Casablanca. However he will be in a similar difficulty there, and he has to get from there to Allied territory. The Germans of course will want that not to happen.

But there were real places like Rick's in neutral cities that catered to rich refugees who were stuck in town and had nothing to do with their money but party. Or acted as places where the Good Guys and the Bad Guys met and exchanged sporting insults. Or all of that kind of thing. They are mentioned in some of the espionage histories I have. Some of the tradecraft of the movie was off but the basic premise was real.

The poorer refugees didn't have as much fun. And the poorer spies were likely to end up with a knife in the back-from whoever-and dumped in the harbor for the fish. But what the hey.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison

Last edited by jason taylor; 12-22-2015 at 06:39 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #214
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I'm sure there is in Casablanca by now.
There is. Also one in Cape Town, South Africa, for some reason.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:01 AM   #215
tshiggins
 
tshiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
There is. Also one in Cape Town, South Africa, for some reason.
The one in Casablanca looks like almost an exact copy from the movie, and the staff willingly gives up a seat at the piano for anybody who wants to play, "As Time Goes By."

(It wouldn't surprise me to learn the house pianists are absolutely sick of that song, by now, and are happy to let the guests play it, so they don't have to.)

I sent the link to the site for the restaurant to a co-worker, a black guy, who said he'd like to take his wife, some day. He also said he'd learn to play that one song, and buy a white dinner jacket with bow-tie, just so he could do it right -- and get pictures.
__________________
--
MXLP:9 [JD=1, DK=1, DM-M=1, M(FAW)=1, SS=2, Nym=1 (nose coffee), sj=1 (nose cocoa), Maz=1]
"Some days, I just don't know what to think." -Daryl Dixon.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #216
(E)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Zealand.
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Elven magical style slash martial art that incorporates elements from the plant college or it's equivalent. Highest level a tree form spell/technique giving an Ent like form for combat or camouflage purposes
__________________
Waiting for inspiration to strike......
And spending too much time thinking about farming for RPGs
Contributor to Citadel at Nordvörn
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:34 AM   #217
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
The one in Casablanca looks like almost an exact copy from the movie, and the staff willingly gives up a seat at the piano for anybody who wants to play, "As Time Goes By."

(It wouldn't surprise me to learn the house pianists are absolutely sick of that song, by now, and are happy to let the guests play it, so they don't have to.)

I sent the link to the site for the restaurant to a co-worker, a black guy, who said he'd like to take his wife, some day. He also said he'd learn to play that one song, and buy a white dinner jacket with bow-tie, just so he could do it right -- and get pictures.
Does the police chief allow gambling?
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #218
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Does the police chief allow gambling?
Of course not! Unless he wins.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #219
Edges
 
Edges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GMT-5
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Does the police chief allow gambling?
I'm sure he would be shocked to find gambling taking place.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #220
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

The Age of the Superhero started in the 18th century. As a result Europe is filled with super powered nobles and royalty, many of whom have a lot more authority than in real life. Meanwhile the United States Constitution never happened. Instead the not especially United States still operate under the Articles of Confederation as fundamentally autonomous political entities. Weirdly autonomous political entities, what with the one that was influenced by a superheroine to remove the vote from men, the one that had a successful slave rebellion and is dominated by the descendants of the slaves, and the one that is a theocracy. And elsewhere the Machine Empire rules what used to be the empire of Russia, and Europe and the Empire of China watch it with dread.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.