Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default Finding the weak spot (spaceships, mostly)

How do you spot the weakspots in Spaceship armour or rather, what Sensors do you use?

The task is on pg52, calling for "success by 5+" but:
Is it Passive sensors or Active sensors?
If Active then do you use the mods from pg44?

eg Skill#, SM+10 vessel, -53 @ 600,000 miles, +20 telescopic vision level 10 zoomed in, +10 plain sight, +24 silhouetted deep space, +10 fusion torch IR signature = skill#+21?
or if they've a stealth hull and are using a fuel cell and between you and a planet = skill#-9?

I know there's a penalty for sensors beyond the listed range (-2 per doubling?) but can't remember where I found it before...

Last edited by jacobmuller; 09-10-2011 at 12:15 PM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
jacobmuller

Default Re: Finding the weak spot (spaceships, mostly)

It's been a week; hopefully a polite enough passage of
time for some necromancy

Anyone know what sensors you use to spot Spaceship armour weakspots?
And, if it's Active, what mods you might use?
Or
Where I might have found the -2 per x2 range for active sensors?
TQ
Old 09-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
vierasmarius

I'd use let you use any sensor array except a scientific one for the task, and include all mods except the IR signature - that should only apply to detecting the ship, not analyzing it.

The "-2 per x2 range" is from UT, and (IIRC) replaces the normal range modifier. I don't think it's used in Spaceships.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Snoman314

Spaceships detection rules are all about the passive sensors. Stuff is usually too far away for active sensors to be useful, and they'd generally be worse for detecting weak spots in armour, ever if they were useable.
Snoman314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman314 View Post
Spaceships detection rules are all about the passive sensors. Stuff is usually too far away for active sensors to be useful, and they'd generally be worse for detecting weak spots in armour, ever if they were useable.
How do you use passive sensors to assess weak spots in armor? I'd think that was more a job for imaging radar or something of the kind.

Active sensors are pretty useless at Spaceships detection ranges, but less so at Spaceships combat ranges.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
Snoman314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
How do you use passive sensors to assess weak spots in armor? I'd think that was more a job for imaging radar or something of the kind.

Active sensors are pretty useless at Spaceships detection ranges, but less so at Spaceships combat ranges.
I'll argue mainly due to angular resolution. Imaging radar has a much larger wavelength than infrared or optical wavelengths. (You could point out LIDAR, but the apertures are typically too small).
At long ranges (ie in space) you're just going to get a blob on radar of any kind, where infrared and optical telescopes will be able to resolve surface details. Then a roll against Engineer is required to infer from these images the details of the ship of interest.
Example: Assuming equal aperture sizes (possible by Aperture Synthesis using sensors at most distant extremes of the ship).
Your optical telescope is able to resolve surface details down to 10cm (approx 4 inches) on the surface of a ship of interest. At the same distance, imaging radar (and being generous with wavelengths based on those typically used) will be able to resolve details no smaller than 1 kilometer (approx 1000 yds).

For this reason alone, I would argue that active sensors are pretty useless for detailed target analysis.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
adm

I think it would be a combination of sensors. For example the above mentioned IR sensors, Hot Spots may represent weak points where more heat can escape, or primary targets like power plants.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
I think it would be a combination of sensors. For example the above mentioned IR sensors, Hot Spots may represent weak points where more heat can escape, or primary targets like power plants.
Perhaps the heat blooming from Exhaust ports that a convenient photon torpedo can be tossed down? @:-)
Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
Snoman314

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Absolutely. I was mainly pointing out the reasons why optical and infrared wavelengths would be far more useful. Thermal radiation is in wavelengths only approx double that of optical wavelengths, as opposed to 5 orders of magnitude.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
jacobmuller

Thanks, I'd never have bothered to think in terms of imaging resolution. Although I think I'll stick with the Active scan, eg if your optical resolution were 4 inches, then your radar could be 1-10 yardss, ie just enough detail for a missile to target.

Tags
scanning sense, spaceships