Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #21
weby

Default Re: [SE] Selling fish to a fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
This is actually the origin of my issue, from the last time someone decided to play a Face Man in one of my games. As I started working on the campaign, I realized that even with a Skill 14 versus a "normal" guy (Will 10), unless some penalties are racked up, the Face Man will be able to short-circuit every fight.
Note that someone who starts as negatively inclined towards you will likely get a bonus to any will rolls from just that without any special other things.

But overall, yes I have found the influence rules to be kind of not working when the skill gets too high and my current campaign is now at the level where the faceman! is skill 25 and the Bard! is at skill 27. So I basically threw the influence rules out and made my own, they are influenced by the idea of friendliness levels in D&D, but the actual implementation is quite different. You can see them in: https://hups.kivinen.iki.fi/k2011:reactions
Old 02-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #22
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
I can certainly see how that could be a problem in many genres, but would not the natural solution to that problem be to not allow too high social skills and advantages (or make them more expensive)?

It seems to me that it would be better to just not allow certain powerful traits if they are problematic, than to have immunity to those traits come up with implausible frequency.
What's "implausible"?

If we are talking, say, about guards at a bank, or at a high-security prison, I would expect them to be people who could not be talked into violating their duties. After all, doing so would cost them their jobs, and might send them to prison; both their interests and their principals would go against their susceptibility.

I would allow a guard's being susceptible if that were the premise of a scenario, or if there were a way for the PCs to do research and find the specific guard who had some sort of vulnerable point. But I wouldn't allow a good roll to get the guard to go blatantly against his duties.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #23
Kalzazz

Offenders can be very good at manipulating staff

http://www.amazon.com/Games-Criminal.../dp/0960522603 is a very good book on the topic (and recommended reading at TDCJ CO Academy)

El Chapo once escaped from a max security prison by bribing guards (and the police, and the prison administrator and who knows who else)

The Bureau of Prisons actually as part of their vetting process for employees does a credit check on them, to avoid hiring people who need money and thus might be susceptible to bribery

Trying to suborn people into getting you out of prison is usually a fairly long involved process, so if someone wanted to do it instantly I would possibly impose the -10 for instant use
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What's "implausible"?

If we are talking, say, about guards at a bank, or at a high-security prison, I would expect them to be people who could not be talked into violating their duties. After all, doing so would cost them their jobs, and might send them to prison; both their interests and their principals would go against their susceptibility.

I would allow a guard's being susceptible if that were the premise of a scenario, or if there were a way for the PCs to do research and find the specific guard who had some sort of vulnerable point. But I wouldn't allow a good roll to get the guard to go blatantly against his duties.
Given the current situation in one of the campaigns I play, I would like to gather more such examples, and will be thankful for similar contributions from others.
The one that comes to my mind is from Hero (2002). Spoilered for those who prefer to watch it themselves:
Spoiler:  

I consider that example to be something that in-world characters would tend to call impossible until they witness it, but what the game system should consider merely improbable, or at least improbable without epic skill levels.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #25
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What's "implausible"?

A bank or high-security prison guard being persuaded to violate their duty by a normal human should certainly be extremely unlikely. I would give significantly better odds to exceptionally skilled people, but I would find it very unlikely that even they would succeed without some holding some advantage.

However, even very skilled humans most likely won't come anywhere close to a theroretically perfect approach. Such a negotiation is after all a very complicated activity with a near infinite number of possible approaches. Just because any real life human might be unlikely to succeed at such a senario, does not at all mean that any level of skill would be insufficent.

A guard could very well be pusuaded that he is better of with a changing jobs and that he would definately get away with violating his duty. Every guard might not be susseptible to this specific approach, but tailoring your approach to your specific target is part of having a high skill. Others might be possible to persuade that letting the prissoner go would be the right thing to do, that the friends of the prissoner are holding the family of the guard hostage or that they will get a bribe if they let them go etc.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #26
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Trying to suborn people into getting you out of prison is usually a fairly long involved process, so if someone wanted to do it instantly I would possibly impose the -10 for instant use
This is a good point, and reminds me of a minor complaint I have about social engineering in GURPS, in that time requirements are mostly vague or unspecified—granted, it's difficult to nail down, but if you're going to be able to "take your time" or "rush," you need a base to work from.

I played in a game a while back where we started a whisper-campaign to take over leadership of an organization. There's no indication at all of how long that should take. I'm not sure how you set a standard for that, exactly, but we really needed to know at the time.
Gigermann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #27
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
A bank or high-security prison guard being persuaded to violate their duty by a normal human should certainly be extremely unlikely. I would give significantly better odds to exceptionally skilled people, but I would find it very unlikely that even they would succeed without some holding some advantage.

However, even very skilled humans most likely won't come anywhere close to a theroretically perfect approach. Such a negotiation is after all a very complicated activity with a near infinite number of possible approaches. Just because any real life human might be unlikely to succeed at such a senario, does not at all mean that any level of skill would be insufficent.

A guard could very well be pusuaded that he is better of with a changing jobs and that he would definately get away with violating his duty. Every guard might not be susseptible to this specific approach, but tailoring your approach to your specific target is part of having a high skill. Others might be possible to persuade that letting the prissoner go would be the right thing to do, that the friends of the prissoner are holding the family of the guard hostage or that they will get a bribe if they let them go etc.
It's in SE already (maybe Basic also?) that the guard could roll against his Loyalty instead—which, if he'd risk injury in the course of his job, would be 13-15. I was also thinking of using a Will-based Professional Skill roll for someone who's used to dealing with slippery types in the course of his job (a bounty hunter, in my instance). Risking one's employment is listed as a -2 (to the Manipulator), and personal danger is -3. Even so, that doesn't reduce the Vixen's chances against the Headsman quite enough to make it seem "right."

Last edited by Gigermann; 02-21-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Gigermann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #28
Kalzazz

A CO might well perceive an Offender as having Social Stigma (Criminal) and such also
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #29
Whyte

Milady de Winter pulls off some very good scams in the Three Musketeers.

There is also Snow White and the Huntsman.

A big point to me would be:
Does the executioner think that he could get away with it? "Let me escape and stay behind to be hung, drawn and quartered." sounds a lot different from "Lets escape together, I have some rich friends who will help us to get to the Caribbean, where we will live out the rest of our lives in wealth and debauchery." Is the execution to be supervised by people who would recognize her and point it out if he tried to pull a switcheroo? Also, some of the executioners might be quite callous and have high Will to go through their brutal job. Some might be downright sadistic.

But yeah, I'd probably allow for a chance.
Whyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #30
Not

To elaborate: Milady de Winter is in prison and is interrogated by her prosecutor, a young zealot. Over the course of many weeks and many interviews, she gradually corrupts him and somehow convinces him to allow her to escape, with the promise that they will run away together. Of course, the rendezvous never happens. Dumas writes the encounters so very convincingly, I'm not certain whether they are fact or fiction. (He blunders in having her threatened with exile to Australia about 200 years too early.)

Tags
social engineering