Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
The original Super-Speed enhancement for ATR (p. P42) states it can't be used to hasten learning (it's only for mundane repetitive tasks, which learning is not), while Back to School says it can (p. 20) but only with a similar teacher, I guess?
That's right. With that restriction it's relatively hard to abuse and it captures some bits from the comics.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 13
In conjunction with intensive training (p. 5), the extra hours count only as self-study, because you aren't under close supervision.
Why can't the sleepless be "under close supervision"? Why can't one being with Doesn't Sleep train another being with Doesn't Sleep for extra hours per day? Or have a student with Doesn't Sleep have multiple teachers working in shifts?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
dataweaver

Hmm… anything about Skill Chips (or their equivalent) as “training wheels” for learning?
Old 07-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Hmm… anything about Skill Chips (or their equivalent) as “training wheels” for learning?
Not as such. It describes example TL10 and TL12 methods for technologically assisted learning, and there are plenty of tools for describing other accelerated learning methods. For skill chips, you'd have to decide what their effects ought to be on learning, which would have a lot to do with how they appear to the user.

For example, skill chips where you "just know, naturally", how to use a skill you have plugged in would be harder to lean from than ones that provide someone else's memories of using the skill. And chips that just uploaded skills into your mind would be easy to learn from.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
yes, on page 30.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:57 PM   #16
lachimba

Does this contain any guidelines on language acquisition (as opposed to 'normal' skills) and personal training ( as opposed to just working out)?

Thanks in advance
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:31 AM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Does this contain any guidelines on language acquisition (as opposed to 'normal' skills)
It treats language learning as being like learning skills. It has specific rules for the need for a shared language for many types of teaching, and on learning Language Talent.
Quote:
and personal training ( as opposed to just working out)?
That would be 1:1 tutoring, which gives large bonuses to Teaching skill.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
It treats language learning as being like learning skills. It has specific rules for the need for a shared language for many types of teaching, and on learning Language Talent.
There are also slightly expanded rules for learning languages without a teacher, and for learning them via gesture. It's not a huge amount.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:13 AM   #19
RogerBW

(From my blog)

This GURPS supplement deals with teaching, learning, and games based on either or both.

Disclaimer: I received playtest credit in this book and therefore did not pay for it.

GURPS is an unusual RPG in that it includes rules for long-term learning: not just "I have hit lots of monsters, so now I'm better at hitting monsters" but "I have been taking evening classes in Russian for a year in between hitting monsters". As RPGs have evolved, there's been a sense that campaigns may not last very long, so having a character that's fun to play straight away is considered more important than being able to develop a character over time. But there's plenty of gaming potential in learning, and that's what this supplement is about.

It is split into four parts: the first and largest deals with learning, using the study rules in the Basic Set and expanding substantially on them. There are quite a few options here, and it would be a very unusual campaign that used all of them. There's the deterministic counting of hours from the Basic Set, but there's also the option of treating learning as a sort of job: the player makes monthly study rolls (against Will, with modifications) to see how much success the character has had. Learning from points, and from a hybrid of points and study, and simply in return for money (with various high-tech ways of infusing knowledge), are also covered.

There are some notes here on game events that arise from learning (what are the teacher and the class like, how to use classrom scenes, and so on) which are dealt with more in the Campaigns section.

Back to solid game mechanics: "What Can Be Learned" breaks down skills into several categories, which are affected in different ways by the learner's own traits. Things that aren't conventional skills can sometimes be learned too: spells, techniques, languages, and so on, but most interestingly to me disadvantages: sure, Pacificism (Reluctant Killer) can be trained out of you, but education can also bestow negative-point traits, such as Code of Honour or Sense of Duty. Specific advantages, disadvantages and skills finish off the chapter: everything that can affect learning is mentioned, from Single-Minded to Unfit.

The second chapter looks at teaching: when the focus is on intructors rather than students, how do their skills affect the process of learning? There's some consideration of teaching methods (e.g. real-time video links), and more on teaching in the game: heroic learning ("you must all learn basic swordsmanship in the next few days"), and dealing with reluctant learners. The chapter ends with another quick run-through of advantages, disadvantages and skills, this time considering how they affect a teacher's ability.

The third chapter puts the first two together and deals with the bigger picture: how do you find a teacher or school, and how reliable is the relationship? This can determine the attitude of the class or of individuals within it. Academic organisations are statted as in GURPS Boardroom and Curia, with details of facilities and available information. There's more treatment of instructional methods: apprenticeships, direct tutoring, classrooms, virtual environments, drill, and so on, as well as relationships between learners and others (academic communities, rival schools, etc.).

Thr final chapter discusses campaigns with an orientation towards learning: campaigns about students, or about teachers, or about a school as a whole. There's a long list of ideas that can readily be used in school stories, and some considerations of how such campaigns can remain interesting whether bound to the school itself (the "cloister" model) or proceeding outside.

I didn't have any plans to run a school-based campaign, but now I'm thinking about it. That doesn't say much in itself: every book I read causes me to think about running new campaigns. But I think there's potential here: consider a school staffed by retired adventurers (the PCs), who want to help the new generation avoid the mistakes they made, while also keeping them safe from outside threats… or a space-naval academy prequel to the actual game of space-naval operations, as a sort of extended character generation session.

Social Engineering: Back to School is available from Warehouse 23.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #20
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
I didn't have any plans to run a school-based campaign, but now I'm thinking about it. That doesn't say much in itself: every book I read causes me to think about running new campaigns. But I think there's potential here: consider a school staffed by retired adventurers (the PCs), who want to help the new generation avoid the mistakes they made, while also keeping them safe from outside threats… or a space-naval academy prequel to the actual game of space-naval operations, as a sort of extended character generation session.
The former is exactly the premise of PS 238, which is worth a look if you have any interest in the supers genre.

Tags
social engineering