Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
nerdvana

Default Douglas Cole's "By Default" and Wildcard Skills

I'm going to start off by saying I really like Douglas Cole's "By Default" from Pyramid #3/65. However, neither it or Power-Ups #7: Wildcard Skills (which in the case of the latter makes perfect sense) address how to apply them to each other.

So, the solution I was thinking of is make Wildcard Skills be bought up from ½Attribute+5 for 12 points and just tweak the costs from Power-Ups #7 based on that data point.

Does anyone see a hole in this idea?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Douglas Cole's "By Default" and Wildcard Skills

Whoa, somehow I misremembered how By Default works. I really liked it for actual defaults, but somehow subconsciously rejected the idea of changing the way non-default skill levels and costs work.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I'm going to start off by saying I really like Douglas Cole's "By Default" from Pyramid #3/65. However, neither it or Power-Ups #7: Wildcard Skills (which in the case of the latter makes perfect sense) address how to apply them to each other.
WC7 would never have referenced a basically edition-level optional rule presented in Pyramid. It was, I'll admit, an oversight of my article, born of the fact that it's been sitting on my computer for something like ten years, since Third Edition.

Quote:
So, the solution I was thinking of is make Wildcard Skills be bought up from ½Attribute+5 for 12 points and just tweak the costs from Power-Ups #7 based on that data point.

Does anyone see a hole in this idea?
I'd make wildcards triple-cost Very Hard skills, buying htem up from 1/2Attribute-1, no default.

This will still make them cheaper relative to full DX or IQ, but will also continue the massive tilting of point expenditures to skills over attributes, which is a side-effect, desired or not, of the By Default switch.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
WC7 would never have referenced a basically edition-level optional rule presented in Pyramid. It was, I'll admit, an oversight of my article, born of the fact that it's been sitting on my computer for something like ten years, since Third Edition.
Right, that was basically why I said it made sense your article wasn't mentioned in PU#7 :)

Quote:
I'd make wildcards triple-cost Very Hard skills, buying htem up from 1/2Attribute-1, no default.

This will still make them cheaper relative to full DX or IQ, but will also continue the massive tilting of point expenditures to skills over attributes, which is a side-effect, desired or not, of the By Default switch.
Interesting because in every other way your "By Default" leaves the skills (for an average character) the same but by putting a -1 on there you reduce the skill level from a Wildcard Skill in the RAW.... (in the RAW a DX 10 character with 12 points in Sword! has that at 10... in your example above they would have it at 9 where as my original idea/suggestion would leave it at 10)
Old 12-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Right, that was basically why I said it made sense your article wasn't mentioned in PU#7 :)

Interesting because in every other way your "By Default" leaves the skills (for an average character) the same but by putting a -1 on there you reduce the skill level from a Wildcard Skill in the RAW.... (in the RAW a DX 10 character with 12 points in Sword! has that at 10... in your example above they would have it at 9 where as my original idea/suggestion would leave it at 10)
A quick look, though, at Wildcards says 12 points in a Wildcard skill gives DX-1 (PU7, p. 4). Am I missing something? It takes 24 points to get to DX.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
nerdvana

Quote:
A quick look, though, at Wildcards says 12 points in a Wildcard skill gives DX-1 (PU7, p. 4). Am I missing something? It takes 24 points to get to DX.
No. It's probably me. Read it once. Need to reread obviously
Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
nerdvana

Now that dinner is done and I've had a chance to look at it again I see my mind transposed info... yeah, it would be half minus 1. Thanks Douglas. :)

Tags
by default, power-ups 7, pyramid #3/65, wildcard skills