Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2023, 08:03 AM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Artifacts of Legend: Two days left

Artifacts of Legend is coming to a close. The KS ends June 10 at 8pm CENTRAL time.

Of course, that's really "two days and twelve hours," but hey ...

So, I see this one is going to be a squeaker. We've got only $708 left to fund, and 234 folks in the "following but not backed" category. We should get there. It would be awfully nice for my digestion if we got there sooner rather than later, but there we go.

Once we do fund, be that today or (gulp) during the last surge on Saturday, I'll start placing commissions for art. We'll probably see less of an acceleration than usual because of the late funding. I usually place art commissions as soon as I'm sure we're going to fund ... that seemed really promising on the first day, and then not so much after. Alas.

In any case: once we fund, the art shall start being created, and I'm pulling together a reasonably sized team to do it so it shouldn't take too long. I will have preview PDFs available for comment and proofing - and as much art as is done - the last week of June.

I can say that...
  • Both books are written and in tweaking mode. Legends is 40 pages; Sagas came in at 44
  • Legends contains 9 artifacts and 10 Legendary possession examples, plus the generator.
  • Sagas contains 11 artifacts and 12 example spirit-bound items, plus some NPCs for plot seeds
  • We also put in what was to be a preview of some of the new options for what was to become the Delvers to Grow Companion ... but I'm not sure the market will actually support that volume. Have to rethink that one. Still: you get the Irzhajotunn racial module, three upgrade modules, and one disad module.

But we're down to the end, so here's hoping we get there sooner rather than later!

Please pledge to Artifacts of Legend. It's shaping up to be a great pair of books.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:42 AM   #2
DouglasCole

Default Re: Artifacts of Legend: Two days left

Artifacts of Legend has funded!

...but it's not over until tomorrow night.

If you've been on the fence because you don't want to back something only to not get it, the project passed its funding goal last night.

The attention now turns (for me) to art direction, which is easier since both drafts are essentially laid out and fully written. I got some great playtester feedback over the last two days I will incorporate first, and then it's art-art-art.

I would appreciate - if you haven't yet pledged - at least checking out the campaign. If nothing else, there's a discount code for Gaming Ballistic material from the Shopify Store for 25% off everything I make until the Kickstarter is over. Look for it amongst the add-ons section!
Old 06-09-2023, 12:51 PM   #3
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Finally! I'll admit, I was starting to worry it might not quite make it across the finish line. Hopefully we'll see a nice post-funding surge to get the numbers up further, but I'd say the theoretical 200% funding hardcover omnibus will sadly remain just that - theoretical.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:23 PM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Finally! I'll admit, I was starting to worry it might not quite make it across the finish line. Hopefully we'll see a nice post-funding surge to get the numbers up further, but I'd say the theoretical 200% funding hardcover omnibus will sadly remain just that - theoretical.
We couldn't make 100% if every single non-converted backer (225 of them) pledged at the print-and-pdf rate of $40. That would get us close...but not there.

The internals of this one have been worrisome from the get-go. I am also glad we funded, but the fact of the matter is we're headed to a showing about the same as Nordlond Sagas (420) or worse.

The number of backers needed for me to actually a reasonable return at all rather than just "get the books made" is closer to 575 on this particular project. At the "funded!" level I don't get paid, and probably lose a bit of money.

Alas.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:17 PM   #5
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
At the "funded!" level I don't get paid, and probably lose a bit of money.

Alas.
I admit this is why I would rather see the project barely fail to fund than barely fund, although of course there are intangibles in play too like the emotional satisfaction of not failing.

Tough times. Good luck.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:24 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
I admit this is why I would rather see the project barely fail to fund than barely fund, although of course there are intangibles in play too like the emotional satisfaction of not failing.

Tough times. Good luck.
From my perspective, no, because I've already shelled out money to the writers and artists, and this helps me recover that to neutral.[1]

And it does give me a ton of material and art for not-GURPS reuse.

I play a longer game than GURPS or DEATH!

But really, to be something I can look my family in the eye and say "what I'm doing is better than returning to my old haunts" one would ideally see the first iteration of the project making SOME level of profit.

Even so, as Curly from City Slickers once said: "Day ain't over yet."

[1] Let me amplify. Some publishers run on a 'pay on publication' basis. I don't. If I ask you to write or do art for me, and you turn it in, I pay you RIGHT THEN. Because as Mal Reynolds once said: "Let me make this abundantly clear. [You] do the job, and then [you] get paid." If you do what I ask as a publisher, your job is DONE and you get compensated for it. Not when I finally get around to printing it/selling it. That is MY problem, not the writer's/artist's. So by the time I launch, I'm usually in for several grand in out of pocket expenses. That's fine: it's literally the cost of doing business. To date I've batted 100% on funding, and I don't intend to break that streak any time soon.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 06-09-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 04:13 PM   #7
sjmdw45

Oh. Good to know. Then I'm very glad it funded, and look forward to reading it.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:33 PM   #8
binn05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Finally! I'll admit, I was starting to worry it might not quite make it across the finish line.
I was really scared! Glad it was funded!
Old 06-19-2023, 04:41 PM   #9
DouglasCole

Late Pledges are now Open for Artifacts of Legend

if you missed the Kickstarter, or just wanted to wait to make sure it funded, or any number of reasons ... you can come on board now with a late pledge on Backerkit.