Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Kyujutsu and Technique Adaptation (Targeted Attack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
No, it just lets you buy it.
Why did you use a perk for that? Why doesn't the Style just have Targeted Attack (Bow/Any)?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why did you use a perk for that? Why doesn't the Style just have Targeted Attack (Bow/Any)?
Face seemed to be the main target. Including (any) in the Techniques would have been saying, IMO, "Face is most common but samurai learned all sorts of specialized targets" instead of "Face is taught, but some samurai learn other specialized targets." Using Technique Adaptation seemed to me like the best way to charge a 1-point UB for learning other ones, since it was clearly not that typical.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #13
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
Face seemed to be the main target. Including (any) in the Techniques would have been saying, IMO, "Face is most common but samurai learned all sorts of specialized targets" instead of "Face is taught, but some samurai learn other specialized targets." Using Technique Adaptation seemed to me like the best way to charge a 1-point UB for learning other ones, since it was clearly not that typical.
So it is a 1 point UB saying you can learn other targets. And, if we, as the GM say that this school of Kyujutsu added TA (Bow Shot/Limb Artery), we could add it without it?

I get the UB bit, but I guess I don't see it as very much worth it. Why wouldn't you just ask your GM to allow you an extra technique?
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #14
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
So it is a 1 point UB saying you can learn other targets. And, if we, as the GM say that this school of Kyujutsu added TA (Bow Shot/Limb Artery), we could add it without it?

I get the UB bit, but I guess I don't see it as very much worth it. Why wouldn't you just ask your GM to allow you an extra technique?
because the style rules assumes you can't freely learn new techniques out side your style, the hole point is as long as you have enough point in combat skills in your style this perk allows you to do so freely with out having to tract down a teacher from a different style
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio Montecchi View Post
I thought Technique Adaptation was meant for you to learn a technique your style taught your for one weapon for any weapon you might want to use it with.
Like Technique Adaptation (Disarm) allows you to learn Disarm for any weapon.
The idea that Technique Adaptation (Targeted Attack) is meant for you to take TA for any location instead of any weapon seems to work in the opposite way compared to Technique Adaptation for any other technique.
I agree that it's sometimes difficult in MA to figure out exactly how a particularly flexible perk is supposed to be applied for a given style. Granted the GM gets to make the call, but it's useful to know what the authors intended, and sometimes the entries make that a little opaque (especially since some of us don't have the martial arts knowledge to make the calls more obvious).

How, specifically, are you trying to apply this?

If you're a player looking to talk your GM into letting you get "TA/Flail" using this perk, then that's one thing.

If you're a GM, and you're thinking, "Hey, the characters in my cyberpunk yakuza pseudo-samurai campaign could learn this using guns and motorcycles instead of bows and horses..." then it's something entirely different. Though in that case, I would just create a new (parallel) style.

If we're in grey areas, like samurai with muskets trying to adapt their techniques to new weapons, then you (or your GM, if you're the player) have some decisions to make about what's possible/realistic. Do you get this by creating a new style, or does the curriculum of an existing style enable it? I think that's what you're really asking here.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
We, as the GM, can say that Kyujutsu can include breathing fire or shooting lightning bolts out of our asses or WTF we want, with the only potential consequence being the utter ruinment of the game due to failed suspension of disbelief or other causes, which vary by player. Know Your Players.

Quote:
Because it is a specific factor of your GM's current setting that that stuff matters more than [0] points?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Sure. It would be very unusual in Japan, but it would make a good uruwaza (hidden technique). I think I explain it in the book - the face was one of the only unarmoured parts of a mounted samurai archer's body, so the face was considered the best target. An early-era samurai wouldn't be served well by aiming elsewhere.

Later ones, sure - an arm-crippling bowmaster would be a very cool character to have in a Tokugawa Shogunate-era game, for sure.

Quote:
You can ask your GM for anything, of course. This perk is letting you buy a UB that says the GM shouldn't say no to additional Targeted Attack options.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts