Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Aigol

Default Martial arts questions { Arm Lock }

I'm about to have several players using rules from Martial arts so I'd love to clear some things up.

For initiating an arm lock without a parry the initial grapple is against Judo does that need to target the arm location or is part of using the arm lock technique on your next turn transferring the grip to the arm?

Last edited by Aigol; 01-02-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Aigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Martial arts questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aigol View Post
I'm about to have several players using rules from Martial arts so I'd love to clear some things up.

For initiating an arm lock without a parry the initial grapple is against Judo does that need to target the arm location or is part of using the arm lock technique on your next turn transferring the grip to the arm?
Target the arm for -2 on the grapple Attack Roll. Apply Arm Lock next Turn without the Hit Location penalty.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Aigol

Also attempting to grapple one hand is not penalized but if you then attempt something like an arm lock or leg lock with just the one hand that is penalized correct?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Humabout

-2 to DX-based rolls for using one limb or -4 for using the crook of your limb. Attempts to inflict damage are always at -4. ST-based rolls use half ST, rounded down.

-2 to skill/DX for legs, but +2 to ST.

These are cumulative.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Aigol

BUt those penalties are for using the techniques right? not initiating the grapple It does not list any penalties in basic and in the sound of one arm grappling box it only lists penalties on techniques I wasn't sure if I missed something
Old 01-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Humabout

Default Re: Martial arts questions { Arm Lock }

I'm pretty sure the techniques are just special applications of grappling. Even just a straight one-armed Judo grapple to the torso should take the appropriate penalties I mentioned. If you're attempting a one-footted wrist lock against a guy while lying on your back under a car checking its muffler, you should just add up all of those penalties and apply them to the underlying grappling skill roll (judo or wrestling in this case). You should also probably also take a penalty to your Mechanic (Automobile) roll, as well.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA91
Example: Arm Lock (p. 65) targets the arm, which has a
hit location penalty of -1 for grappling purposes, making the
basic default penalty -1. It gets another -1 for being able to
inflict ongoing injury. These penalties total -2. However, the
initial grapple takes an extra turn (+1) and requires an
attack roll (+1), adding +2. The net default penalty is +0.
This explains why Arm Lock defaults to Judo+0. Note that the Hit Location penalty is already accounted for, just like in the case of Eye-Poke, the -9 penalty for targeting the eye is already part of the Technique.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aigol View Post
BUt those penalties are for using the techniques right? not initiating the grapple It does not list any penalties in basic and in the sound of one arm grappling box it only lists penalties on techniques I wasn't sure if I missed something
There are no penalties to HIT for grappling with one hand in RAW (or in the upcoming grappling book, for that matter). You lose a ton of bonuses in the Basic Set and Martial Arts for only having one hand when your foe tries to break free or you try a technique.

The initial grapple is just that: You grab your foe with one hand. You might be going for some funky power, or an Arm Lock, or Wrench Arm, or to grab a weapon or attempt a disarm. The rules are agnostic to the initial grab.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
This explains why Arm Lock defaults to Judo+0. Note that the Hit Location penalty is already accounted for, just like in the case of Eye-Poke, the -9 penalty for targeting the eye is already part of the Technique.
Hrm. I'll have to check my manuscript; I'd forgotten that the location penalty was built into the technique!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Aigol

So with the penalty built into the technique does that mean that your initial judo grapple does not need to specifically target the arm? that is the one bit I'm confused on. Because I notice leg log specifically says you must grapple your opponent's leg and arm lock just says you must grapple your opponent

Last edited by Aigol; 01-02-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Tags
combat rules, martial arts