Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #1
lordtarim

Default Thoughts on a Healing Spell.

I am Creating a Healing Spell to use in my campaign and potentially publish in a future supplment book expanding on various tallents like Preist, Bard, and Naturalist.

I have 3 variants I would like everyones opinion on, they have so far been untested in their present form.

Minor Healing: IQ 12 Thrown Spell

Version #1 - Cost: 2ST, 4ST, or 8ST
Heals target 1D6/2D6/3D6 points of Damage and/or Fatigue. Additional castings on the same target with in 24hrs adds a 1 die penality to the to hit roll for each extra casting ( 4D6 then 5D6, 6D6 ect...).

Version #2 - IQ 10 Touch only?
Heals target 1D6/2D6/3D6 points of Damage and/or Fatigue. Penality of one additional dice per extra 1D6 in healing on the to hit roll (2D6 healing = 4D6 vs DX, 3D6 healing = 5D6 vs DX, ect...) ST cost = 1/2 number of hits healed.

Version #3 - IQ 10 or 12? Cost: 2ST
Heals target 2 hits and converts all the damage they have taken so far into fatigue. Does nothing for fatigue only Damage (hits) and has no effect on additional damage taken after the spell is cast.

Let me know what you guys think, im trying to keep it low powered enough to fit in with the lethality of The Fantasy Trip.
lordtarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Thoughts on a Healing Spell.

The idea of converting hits to fatigue will likely be popular. But I'd make the ST cost higher--something like at least a 4:1 ratio of casting ST to points healed.

My preference, however, is for healing spells to shorten the natural healing rate, so one could get down to 6 or even 3 hours of light activity to heal a point of damage.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
timm meyers

Healing Magic is like air power, it runs the risk of modernizing the medieval setting.
Even in a modern world if a paramedic could lay hands and mend bones doctors and hospitals would soon cease to exist.

Regarding your proposed spells I think all of them are too cheap to cast. A 2 to 1 ratio is a minimum for this powerful type of spell.
A combination of Physicker talent might also be a worthy modifier or prerequisite for a user of this spell.
I like the random 1d6 hits cured as it makes it temperamental and think a high casting cost of 4 or 5 would keep this spell balanced. If the world allows easy healing of weapon wounds the units of surgeon-magi would be as important as heavy cavalry keeping the elite guard units continually on the battle field, and changing the face of war.

The cleric healing is a more common trope and partially I think due to the type of specialization that character is usually required to have. This type of healing is more linked to the "Gods" willingness to aid a follower and less the scientific manipulation of magical laws of physics. So there you have an all new set of costs/# uses/results/blowback effects etc. to keep it in balance.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
hcobb

What keeps the current healing spells from being used all the time are the IQ levels, fatigue costs, and side effects. If you change this it will have some ramifications for your game.

But given a typical goblin witch, a party to Aid her, and the ability to hide away for a week any injury can be overcome.

See Balance The Scales for another approach to powering high cost magics.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #5
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
Regarding your proposed spells I think all of them are too cheap to cast. A 2 to 1 ratio is a minimum for this powerful type of spell.
A combination of Physicker talent might also be a worthy modifier or prerequisite for a user of this spell.
I like the random 1d6 hits cured as it makes it temperamental and think a high casting cost of 4 or 5 would keep this spell balanced.
If you average out a bunch of 1d6 rolls, a casting cost of 4 is nearly 1:1 with points healed. If you want an average 2:1 ratio, you'd want a casting cost of 7.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
TippetsTX

Try shifting to a d3 scale.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
Terquem

I really like the idea of spells or potions that just cut down on the "waiting time to heal". I think that fits the existing dynamic feel of The Fantasy Trip well.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
amenditman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
This could be tied to the cost to cast. If the caster is not a Physicker the cost doubles to 4:1 ratio instead of the base 2:1 cost suggested.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:13 AM   #9
hcobb

Time is also a useful currency for Healing (as you don't get to Physicker in the middle of combat).

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/new_spells.html#Spells
"Heal(S) Prerequisites: Physicker or Vet or equivalent talents (depending on the subject). The wizard pays 5 fatigue then spends one minute (12 turns) in casting while in physical contact (hands or staff) with the still living target. During and after a successful casting the target suffers no further damage from blood loss. At the end of the minute the wizard rolls and on a success the target recovers one hit of damage. Each subject can only benefit from the result of the Heal or Greater Heal spell cast in the past 24 hours with the greatest absolute value. I.e. a roll of 3 on a heal spell would heal 3 hits and also negate the 3 hits inflicted on the target by a previous roll of 18 on a Heal spell within the last day, but a roll of 4 at that time would have no effect. This spell doesn't regrow missing parts. See the Regeneration spell on page 30 for that. If the first casting in a day is after a Revival spell it will hopefully raise ST from zero to one."
Old 03-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
larsdangly

The best way to cut down on healing time is to wear armor.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote