Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #1
David Bofinger

Default Weaker Versions of High IQ Spells

Some very powerful spells exist with very high IQ that in practice probably won't be available to many characters. I understand these spells are too powerful to allow low-experience characters to play with them, but it seems a shame the concepts behind them never get used. Here are some thoughts on how less powerful versions might be created, that could be accessible at lower IQ. I'd be interested in hearing other's thoughts.
  • Unnoticeability:
    • Anyone who acts on the basis of the figure being present suffers a penalty of some kind.
  • Long Distance Teleport: This spell is already so dangerous I wonder if wizards would learn it. I think a random place probably should be the result for non-16 failures of the RAW spell as well.
    • This could be a medium-range spell.
    • Perhaps the destination is specified in a vague way, and there's a good chance you'll end up somewhere unexpected.
  • Revival:
    • The spell only works within a minute of death.
    • The ST must be above some (negative) threshold.
  • Zombie:
    • The zombie suffers a greater DX penalty.
    • The zombie's maximum ST is limited.
    • A maximum number of zombies at a time.
    • A maximum ST of zombies at a time.
    • The zombies immediately become uncontrolled.
  • Word of Command:
    • The effect of the word might not be to compel obedience, but just to inflict a penalty on anyone who disobeyed it, e.g. -2 to each of DX and MA.
    • The command might be easier to resist.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
MikMod

Default Re: Weaker Versions of High IQ Spells

I like it!

Medium Distance Teleport

Teleport to any place you can see. A distant hillside, right across a hall, etc.

Word Of Suggestion

Anyone hearing the wizard makes a 3D vs IQ save or thoroughly believes the wizard, and will act accordingly. Cannot be used to force actions, but to change minds, beliefs and influence behaviour.

Inconsequentiality

People can see you and know you are there. They will react to you pulling a sword, if you cast a spell they will see it. But if you stay harmless and just stand about, or sit at a table, carry stuff around, just go with the flow of the situation, then people just see you as inconsequential, like a servant beneath notice, or 'that guy that's always hanging at the bar', or 'isn't that Cheryl's second cousin?'. As long as you don't provoke a reaction you can wander about fairly easily. Makes you seem familiar and aligned with the situation.

:)

Last edited by MikMod; 03-14-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added Inconsequentiality
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
Axly Suregrip

These sound like a good idea. I agree with your approach that there should be more spells that are weaker variants. Make sure to balance new spells. If you find every player wants to have every wizard with your new spell, that is a sign of a failure, not a success. It means it lacks balance. Good luck.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:47 AM   #4
Chris Rice

I'm personally not a fan of this as I prefer spells to be clearly distinctive. I can accept the different sizes of Wall, Fire and Shadow and perhaps even the Staff spells but other than that I'd rather spells were things of a definite power - something for a Wizard to aspire to.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:11 AM   #5
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
  • Long Distance Teleport: This spell is already so dangerous I wonder if wizards would learn it. I think a random place probably should be the result for non-16 failures of the RAW spell as well.
    • This could be a medium-range spell.
    • Perhaps the destination is specified in a vague way, and there's a good chance you'll end up somewhere unexpected.
Long Distance Teleport is IQ 19 and Summon Lesser Demon is IQ 14. Just summon one and have it teleport you as a service -- it's less dangerous than Long Distance Teleport.

Last edited by zot; 03-23-2020 at 04:31 AM.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote