Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #31
Colarmel

Default Re: The power of JUSTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternas View Post
Goodness no. There's nothing Justice enjoys better after correcting an Injustice like a deep dish pizza and a frothy root beer.
Accessibility: only while hunting?
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #32
Ternas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
Accessibility: only while hunting?
Then may the hunt begin!
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #33
Kalzazz

The Harbinger in Earthdawn was kinda focused on this topic

Unfortunately I can't offhand remember much about it and don't have my ED books handy

One thing I do remember is that Harbinger's had Cosmically hardened armor, you could hit them hard enough to damage them through their armor, but never actually lessen the armors power
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #34
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Mind. Blown. *boom*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah, that's brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post

Solid. Freaking. Gold. Rory. VERY NICE. I'm using it. I'm thinking a +100% or +300% modifier here.

ah thanks guys!

Quote:

I REALLY like this idea - but how to model it? A form of Common Sense?
An enhancement like Active and probably Cosmic on Common Sense or even Oracle and Racial Memory is one way to do it.
To me a simpler method is just use Law!
There are plenty of differing laws and legal systems that a wildcard is justified, even if it is only one single skill. And use Wildcard points to achieve certain things. Making it the skill for skill rolls to use powers and you get more bang for your buck.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:25 AM   #35
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
A talent that applies to all Law specialties? You could probably just roll it into the power talent. Although you'd want the ability to ignore cultural familiarity penalties too, so Xena-Adaptibility (Legal Situations Only -80%) [4]?
Hmmm.

Quote:
Using transmetahuman's houserule I just found when looking for an official rule to do the same thing:

Perfect Hunter 19 points - Special Rapport (Directional Only +0%) (One Way +20%) (Transferrable: Any Sentient Being +250%)

I'd add an accessibility modifier, must have announced pursuit to the pursued, but I've no idea what that'd be worth, and it'd probably depend on the idiom of the character (e.g. a modern beat-cop might have to read a list of the charges, a western marshall might just announce, "Justice is comin'").
This - this I like.

Quote:
Judgement Sense
16 points
You may make an IQ roll to know the local law applicable to any situation you encounter, even in completely alien cultures, as well as to know how the people involved feel that the law should apply.

Statistics: Jack of All Trades +6 (Only for Law rolls relating to an immediate situation or Psychology rolls to determine attitude towards the law -80%) [12]; Xeno-Adaptibility (Only to remove CF penalties for this ability -80%) [4]
Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm glad you like it, but actually it's a typo! It should be "Detect; Higher Purpose." Didn't notice my fingers had missed one of the keys. . . .
It's still great idea to figure out what could drive someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Aspected Intuition.

One of the powers under Noumena in Powers: The Weird approximates this ability, I think.
Yeah, that looks like it does what I want.

Quote:
And this is why I love Vhailor and this one single quote of his regarding Justice.
Yup. Vhailor is awesome (DON'T TRUST THE SKULL).

Quote:
I'd probably take the same direction that was taken with Omnilingual from the Supers book. If you somehow know every law out there you might as well just take an "Unusual Background" that just says that you do just the same as you take a UB to know every language.
That's an interesting thought. I think Common Sense or Intuition can probably be made to create a sort of "I know things" powers. (I'm imagining Intellectus from Dresden Files, but for laws).

Quote:
•Single Minded
Let's be fair, if you're tracking down someone that has committed a great injustice, you're probably not going to be taking that many side trips to 7/11 for a Slurpee.
Yup. They have it.

Quote:
•Psychometry
You're not playing Minority Report here and trying to prevent a crime. You're trying to find someone that has committed an injustice and this would be the way to help figure that out. My personal preference would be for the Hypersensory limitation to keep things a bit vague.
Also this. But with full on visions of those who done did wrong.
Quote:
Possibly adding doesn't eat/drink and doesn't sleep as well.
Justice never sleeps.... I'm sold on this.

Quote:
If he's the zero collateral damage type he might have

Shortest Distance 56 points - You move straight through anything that gets between you and your target. Nothing slows you down.

Insubstantial (Accessibility: Only while moving directly toward target -40%) (Can carry objects - no encumbrance +10%)
Maybe. Hmmm.

Quote:
Goodness no. There's nothing Justice enjoys better after correcting an Injustice like a deep dish pizza and a frothy root beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
An enhancement like Active and probably Cosmic on Common Sense or even Oracle and Racial Memory is one way to do it.
To me a simpler method is just use Law!
There are plenty of differing laws and legal systems that a wildcard is justified, even if it is only one single skill. And use Wildcard points to achieve certain things. Making it the skill for skill rolls to use powers and you get more bang for your buck.
I'll consider it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:09 AM   #36
dbm

Quote:
I REALLY like this idea - but how to model it? A form of Common Sense?
Price it as a Wildcard skill?
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #37
Ternas

A couple of afflictions that could probably go well with a Justice powered character, especially if they're not combat based.

The Whole Truth
Affliction 1 (Disadvantage Truthfulness (6), +10%; Based on Will, +20%; Extended Duration x10, +40%; Reduced Range x10, -30%; Increased Range 1/2D, +15%) [16]

You're Nicked, Chum
Affliction 1 (Disadvantage Honesty (6), +20%; Touch-Based Reversed, -20%; Based on Will, +20%; Permanent (Until Sentenced), +150%) [27]

Give folks the urge to confess and turn themselves in. Though the latter only works if you can touch them and they fail their will rolls. Either way, a peaceable solution. I'd honestly be more tempted to use the rules from Pyramid 3-78 for Cursed Thou Art for basing self control rolls off of will and then just taking the Will-15 version instead of the SC roll of 6 for them.

Last edited by Ternas; 10-09-2016 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Forgot point cost on second affliction
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #38
(E)

An accessibility limitation "only when blind folded"
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #39
Culture20

A player in one of my Supers campaigns had a character who could Detect Criminals (with analyze), limited by direct line of sight. Note this isn't active crime; he could look at someone and determine their past crimes. The fun thing is their first mission was to assassinate Adolf Hitler at the opening ceremonies of the Olympics (plenty of witnesses to prevent a Hitler clone from taking over). So from that point on, the Super saw his own criminality (however justifiable, it was still against German law, and many other Earth laws at the time. Being an alien, he didn't really care beyond the visual "stain")
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #40
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
A couple of afflictions that could probably go well with a Justice powered character, especially if they're not combat based.

The Whole Truth
Affliction 1 (Disadvantage Truthfulness (6), +10%; Based on Will, +20%; Extended Duration x10, +40%; Reduced Range x10, -30%; Increased Range 1/2D, +15%) [16]

You're Nicked, Chum
Affliction 1 (Disadvantage Honesty (6), +20%; Touch-Based Reversed, -20%; Based on Will, +20%; Permanent (Until Sentenced), +150%)

Give folks the urge to confess and turn themselves in. Though the latter only works if you can touch them and they fail their will rolls. Either way, a peaceable solution. I'd honestly be more tempted to use the rules from Pyramid 3-78 for Cursed Thou Art for basing self control rolls off of will and then just taking the Will-15 version instead of the SC roll of 6 for them.
Definitely using these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
An accessibility limitation "only when blind folded"
No, while thematically appropriate, doesn't suit the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
A player in one of my Supers campaigns had a character who could Detect Criminals (with analyze), limited by direct line of sight. Note this isn't active crime; he could look at someone and determine their past crimes. The fun thing is their first mission was to assassinate Adolf Hitler at the opening ceremonies of the Olympics (plenty of witnesses to prevent a Hitler clone from taking over). So from that point on, the Super saw his own criminality (however justifiable, it was still against German law, and many other Earth laws at the time. Being an alien, he didn't really care beyond the visual "stain")
Hmmmm. Maybe. Cool story though.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high powered, supers