Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #21
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: The power of JUSTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Detect Injustice

Probably a passive ability that gets a roll to know if an injustice happened nearby, or in an area. Distance to it being some negative modifier. It's like danger sense in a way, but more in the idea that you know when some injustice happened and can probably find out where.
Like Sisteh Soldier says.... :-) Good idea.

Quote:
Serendipity

You can find clues and information that leads to balancing the scales of justice. Crimes go punished!
That's a great idea. Didn't even think about that.

Quote:
Cosmic Knowledge

You KNOW the laws and weight of crimes in any area you are. You know what people WANT to happen to someone who broke the law.
I REALLY like this idea - but how to model it? A form of Common Sense?

Quote:
Detect Transgressions

You can probably detect someone's guilts. Anything someone was already punished for in the eyes of the people is undetectable. Justice was served already after all.
Hmmmm.

Quote:
Supernatural Durability

This one will seem odd, but nothing can impede justice. You can't be stunned or stopped until justice is served!
I like this better than Unkillable. Maybe with the vulnerability being the hand of a just man/woman.

Quote:
Higher Purpose

Anything that is done in line with seeking justice is probably going to get a bonus roll. I think this is classic Justice.
Yes, but you'd need to price with Broad +40%.

Quote:
Blessed

Powers come from a higher court of humanity and you can draw upon it to aid, buff, boon yourself in the face of seeking justice.
Ok. That's really cool too.

Quote:
Binding

Bring the perpetrator in intact means binding them. I would think this binding might have cosmic on it or something because the idea is you are under arrest by a greater power, not just handcuffs. Indestructible might be enough though.
Yeah. This is a give (as you and others have noted).

Quote:
Smite

Some people might think powers to harm, smite, etc might work for justice, but that can be an injustice. In America, for example, justice means a right to trial. This isn't justice because people don't know if someone is guilty before court, but it's a sign of civility that nobody is taking justice into their own hands. Still, some lands smiting might be perfectly fine!

Maybe Smiting is a variable ability based on the nature of the guilty. It's almost like sanctity or mana levels, your power grows and wanes based on how difficult it is to serve justice. You always get JUST ENOUGH POWER to help you thwart the machinations of injustice, because going too far is no longer just =)
I like the idea of a scaling damage effect. Hmmm.

Quote:
Power Modifier
Honesty is a big requirement for this. But I think it should be Honesty towards the people, less the "Crown". But it could be fun to have robocop moments and make it honesty towards the crown. Sorry, can't arrest OCP executives, even if we are doing illegal crap! If you do something unjust you lose the power of justice. Makes sense!
So more loyalty to the people vs. system would be in your eyes a feature for Honesty?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
A talent that applies to all Law specialties? You could probably just roll it into the power talent. Although you'd want the ability to ignore cultural familiarity penalties too, so Xena-Adaptibility (Legal Situations Only -80%) [4]?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #23
Colarmel

Using transmetahuman's houserule I just found when looking for an official rule to do the same thing:

Perfect Hunter 19 points - Special Rapport (Directional Only +0%) (One Way +20%) (Transferrable: Any Sentient Being +250%)

I'd add an accessibility modifier, must have announced pursuit to the pursued, but I've no idea what that'd be worth, and it'd probably depend on the idiom of the character (e.g. a modern beat-cop might have to read a list of the charges, a western marshall might just announce, "Justice is comin'").
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Judgement Sense
16 points
You may make an IQ roll to know the local law applicable to any situation you encounter, even in completely alien cultures, as well as to know how the people involved feel that the law should apply.

Statistics: Jack of All Trades +6 (Only for Law rolls relating to an immediate situation or Psychology rolls to determine attitude towards the law -80%) [12]; Xeno-Adaptibility (Only to remove CF penalties for this ability -80%) [4]
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #25
whswhs

Quote:
I got most of those - but not Detect Higher Purpose. I like that. Ditto for Affliction to remove powers.
I'm glad you like it, but actually it's a typo! It should be "Detect; Higher Purpose." Didn't notice my fingers had missed one of the keys. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #26
whswhs

Quote:
Aspected Intuition.

One of the powers under Noumena in Powers: The Weird approximates this ability, I think.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #27
Ternas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
I think the flavor of general "Justice" power in the genre of supers is a general sense of indomitability. A sort of Juggernaught thing might make sense. Basically: Justice will find you, maybe not today, maybe you'll manage to delay, but you will suffer the penalty of your actions. I think the powerful impact of justice as a concept is its inevitability.
Quote:
Agreed. It's closely linked to the concept of pursuit predation - eventually, it catches up and you will pay for eveyrthingyou've done.
And this is why I love Vhailor and this one single quote of his regarding Justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhailor
When the injustice is great enough, justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it. None may stand against it. It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment, and lend its servant the power to pass sentence. Know this: There is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them. It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods. Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe.
The thing with him, of course, is that for him there is no other Justice than his. Going between towns and cities is no difference because he is the embodiment of the Justice that he carries. Definitely Extreme Fanaticism, if you can convince him that he's wrong, then he's the one that takes damage.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
A talent that applies to all Law specialties? You could probably just roll it into the power talent. Although you'd want the ability to ignore cultural familiarity penalties too, so Xena-Adaptibility (Legal Situations Only -80%) [4]?
I'd probably take the same direction that was taken with Omnilingual from the Supers book. If you somehow know every law out there you might as well just take an "Unusual Background" that just says that you do just the same as you take a UB to know every language.

Quote:
I like this better than Unkillable. Maybe with the vulnerability being the hand of a just man/woman.
Yeah, I agree that actually is a better idea than what I had with Unkillable 1.

While I was at work earlier was actually thinking about other abilities.

•Single Minded
Let's be fair, if you're tracking down someone that has committed a great injustice, you're probably not going to be taking that many side trips to 7/11 for a Slurpee.

•Psychometry
You're not playing Minority Report here and trying to prevent a crime. You're trying to find someone that has committed an injustice and this would be the way to help figure that out. My personal preference would be for the Hypersensory limitation to keep things a bit vague.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #28
Colarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternas View Post
•Single Minded
Let's be fair, if you're tracking down someone that has committed a great injustice, you're probably not going to be taking that many side trips to 7/11 for a Slurpee.
Possibly adding doesn't eat/drink and doesn't sleep as well.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #29
Colarmel

If he's the zero collateral damage type he might have

Shortest Distance 56 points - You move straight through anything that gets between you and your target. Nothing slows you down.

Insubstantial (Accessibility: Only while moving directly toward target -40%) (Can carry objects - no encumbrance +10%)
Old 10-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #30
Ternas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
Possibly adding doesn't eat/drink and doesn't sleep as well.
Goodness no. There's nothing Justice enjoys better after correcting an Injustice like a deep dish pizza and a frothy root beer.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high powered, supers