Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
Christopher R. Rice

Default The power of JUSTICE

...or judgement, or righteousness, etc. What sort of power builds or powers would be appropriate for a super/god/high-powered character? I've got a few ideas, but like most of my posts I'm trying to clear the cobwebs with external help.

I'm thinking things like Ghostrider's Penance Stare, Tyreal's power suite from Diablo, etc.

Any thoughts?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: The power of JUSTICE

I think the Spectre is a classic embodiment of this premise, though his abilities go beyond "justice powers."

You're going to want to look at the Moral modifier in GURPS Powers. For a high-end character you might also want to use Cosmic.

The lists of abilities for the Good and Order power frameworks will give you ideas for what to include. Scanning through them, I like Allies; Blessed; Channeling; Detect Higher Purpose; Indomitable; Intuition; Medium; Mind Shield (aspected to prevent your judgment from being biased); Neutralize; Oracle; Protected Power; Resistant; Static; Terror (Awe); True Faith; Unfazeable; and Visualization. Attacks would be Afflictions with Negated Advantage to take away powers that have been abused, or perhaps to take away defensive powers that block justified attacks.

Classically, justice has Only When Blindfolded and wields a mace, hammer, or staff.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #3
GodBeastX

Justice from what earthly culture's viewpoint?

That does matter. Eye for an Eye can be just. Return back to you seven fold can be just. Torture by horrific beings can be just. Righteousness and goodly changes from various cultures too.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Kalzazz

Hmmm, Judge Dredd comes to mind. Some kind of 'Higher Purpose - Uphold the Law'?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Hmmm, Judge Dredd comes to mind. Some kind of 'Higher Purpose - Uphold the Law'?
Law is not the same as justice, as shown in the old Judge Dredd vs. Batman comic books.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Kalzazz

I've only read the first couple hundred Judge Dredd in 2000 AD, I haven't read any of those

I really have no idea exactly how you would do Judge Dredd . . . . Judge Dredd is a fit, tough, skilled guy with a neat gun and bike, and he has Law Enforcement Powers and Police Rank or such . . . . but it seems that his big power is that Judge Dredd, somehow, just does not fail. Maybe some kind of Aspected Destiny or Impulse Points?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Law is not the same as justice, as shown in the old Judge Dredd vs. Batman comic books.
Not sure if comic book writers are my go-to sources for philosophy on the nature of law versus justice =)
Old 10-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #8
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Not sure if comic book writers are my go-to sources for philosophy on the nature of law versus justice =)
Entertainment sources are not my go-to for philosophy, at all. You choose wisely.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
McAllister

Binding! Even if your character is empowered to pass judgment on people, Binding them first is iconic.

If the campaign uses Corruption Points, use them. Firstly, that the Justice-wielder smites the bejeezus out of the Corrupt, and secondly, that Justice abandons those whose Corruption scores increase.

Detect for a variety of things (criminal intent, guilt, murderers) or, perhaps more simply, Mind Probe. Or not; perhaps having good and evil objectively delineated by powers cheapens the experience, but in many cases the Justice-wielder wants to feel empowered by the knowledge of who's done what.

What I really want is access to written-up karma powers, like afflicting someone to receive a point of injury for each point they inflict, but that's tricky. Maybe simpler to go with inflicting Cursed with a Mitigator such that someone who lives a just life won't suffer the curse's effect.

Wow, none of these are on whswhs's list? I'm surprised we have such different views of Justice.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #10
Ternas

For me, I'm not too familiar with such concepts of Justice following characters in comic books. But the one character I am familiar with is Vhailor from Planescape: Torment and it is definitely shaping my view of how to build such an array of powers because of how he is and how his concept of Justice empowers him.

Now I do quite agree that any sort of power this character exhibits would definitely come from a Pact based power modifier and the special limitations on Moral powers for faltering powers would probably be quite interesting to role play, especially if someone could do the same with a fast-talk roll as normally present in stories.

As for powers:
I would be tempted to use the rules for Modifying Existing Damage from Powers or Power-Ups 4 enhancements to grant his signature weapon, and only signature weapon, two abilities: Privileged Attack and Irresistible Attack to bypass any sort of protection his target may attempt. There is no point in struggling against the inevitability of Justice.

Adding to that, depending on how far you're willing to go for Justice, I would probably also allow for several levels of Hard to Subdue and Unkillable 1. To model it appropriately then probably use Required Attribute Roll limitation and toss on at least "Costs 5 FP" for Unkillable 1. While you're still technically mortal, it's going to take a lot of damage to actually take you down.

As others have written, Binding is definitely among those required powers or a stunning affliction based on a contest of Will. The "guidance" advantages such as Intuition, Blessed, and Oracle are all also rather apt.

I'm not too sure I'd actually allow for Higher Purpose here due to how it could be abused, instead implement a Power Talent to make their abilities easier to access/use. On top of those, add another Talent to give Intimidation, Body Language, Tracking. . . basically most skills to track down their target and enact Justice.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high powered, supers