Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #21
David Bofinger

Default Re: Thoughts on a Healing Spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Joe's player decides
Do you really want this to be a choice, rather than something that just happens whether they like it or not? TFT is a low fidelity simulation, but it is a simulation and choices by players usually reflect something in the game's reality.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:33 PM   #22
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Do you really want this to be a choice, rather than something that just happens whether they like it or not? TFT is a low fidelity simulation, but it is a simulation and choices by players usually reflect something in the game's reality.
Well, sure. The GM could dictate it.

However, if you allow the player to decide, then the player at that moment has some leeway. The character is going to get something bad out of the situation, either minus hit points or a temporary handicap he's going to have to role-play for the rest of the night or for a few gaming sessions.

If he doesn't role-play it, the GM should give him back the minus hit points and have him keep the handicap.

This conversion concept is an optional thing for the player and GM. I think having the player select the outcome rather than dictated will get it more used.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com

Last edited by JohnPaulB; 04-05-2021 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Added reply.
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:36 PM   #23
Skarg

Apparently, some players like to be able to make OOC choices about outcomes, and others prefer the game (or possibly the GM) to determine them. Some of the second group also don't like it when other players (or NPCs - can they take their head damage as hours of hearing difficulty, too?) are playing by different rules, so I'd suggest GMs discuss this with players before it comes up during play.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #24
Dracrus

I’ve been using this spell and it’s seems to work well and not be too unbalanced. I wanted something that would add some healing magic to help speed up the healing process without removing the danger of combat, which is part of what I like about TFT.

Sanative (T) (IQ 12)
Sanative is a basic curative spell that will heal physical wounds but is painful and exhausting to the recipient. For each 5 point of ST that the wizard puts into the spell, he/she turns 1 point of lost HT into 1 point of fatigue. This spell cannot be used to save someone from the brink of death but is regularly used to accelerate natural healing.
The Physicker talent allows for a more precise application of energy and reduces the strength requirements to cast Sanative to 4 points of ST for each HT converted and Master Physicker talent further reduces the cost to 3 points.
Dracrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #25
phiwum

It certainly does speed the healing process. A wizard could cast this spell five times in 9 hours at least. A character would be more or less fully healed in two days.

I like the fact that a party out on adventure has to worry about long term effects of wounds, personally. To each his own, of course.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:07 PM   #26
hcobb

Here's another take on vastly reducing the cost of healing:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/new_spells.html#Empath
Old 07-22-2022, 09:12 PM   #27
phiwum

Interesting idea. Personally, I might allow empaths to die from absorbing too many wounds, but maybe I'm mean.

I do wonder why they roll 3/DX to absorb wounds. What has DX to do with this unusual skill?
Old 07-23-2022, 04:05 AM   #28
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I do wonder why they roll 3/DX to absorb wounds. What has DX to do with this unusual skill?
Magical physical manipulation.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:41 AM   #29
phiwum

Okay, I guess, but I would've gone with 3/IQ personally.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:43 PM   #30
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Here's another take on vastly reducing the cost of healing:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/new_spells.html#Empath
Very interesting.
Thank you for sharing this.
Hrothgar Rannúlfr is offline   Reply With Quote