Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #381
hcobb

Default Re: HEAL spell?

Under the current rules a sufficient number of healing potions can revive any character who died in the past hour and otherwise you have to wait for them to rise as a ghost in order to have a chance of wishing them back to life.

Hence if you didn't bring enough healing potions to revive your splattered comrade you need to sweep up the scattered body parts and taunt them until they rise as a ghost that will chase you all the way back to the Wizard's Guild where they can be wished back to life.

But yes, the game does need a special talent that can quickly cure any sort of minor wound more effectively than modern science. Call it Master Physicker.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #382
mark hill

In the old rules M Physicker can cure a maximum 3 hits (I presume by sewing etc)

That doesnt strike me as particularly unrealistic or miraculous, or out of the range of modern science .. a broken leg I presume stays broke for at least a month or two, a severed leg is a permanent problem
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #383
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
I take it theres no official healing magics in the new rules (apart from potions etc) .. I prefer that myself .. more Tarzan/Conan/Kickaha/Rambo etc :)
The way damage works in movies is "it gets erased at the end of the scene".
Old 04-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #384
thom

Has anyone considered requiring Steve's version of the spell be linked to the Priest talent as a prerequisite? And then limiting it to being cast once/day on any given person. And (evil GM mode on) expecting the recipient of the spell to either be a worshiper or have to tithe to the Priest's church?

I could also envision a few narrow Priest-only spells (also requiring the Priest talent), specific weapons, armor, and rituals that must be followed in order for the spells to work. Or even a "holy symbol" that functioned in a similar manner to a wizard's staff (i.e. sacrifice XP for mana that would only power Priest spells). And a Priest would still pay the normal cost for talents, and 3x cost for other wizard spells.

Based on my gaming experience this would make a Healer character either an NPC/henchman or a multi talented generalist.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #385
mark hill

the default setting for Cidri is that gods are not real, or if they are then there is no hard evidence of it (so as to really test the believers faith)

linking heal magics to religion would really be a kind of 'proof' of the god(s) being real .. more of a D+D (or non-TFT fantasy system of your choice) approach
Old 04-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #386
hcobb

Quote:
In the old rules M Physicker can cure a maximum 3 hits (I presume by sewing etc)

That doesnt strike me as particularly unrealistic or miraculous, or out of the range of modern science .. a broken leg I presume stays broke for at least a month or two, a severed leg is a permanent problem
Physicker puts one point of healing on a six point broken leg (by ITL 121) and the subject is walking five minutes after the injury.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #387
Skarg

Quote:
I take it theres no official healing magics in the new rules (apart from potions etc) .. I prefer that myself .. more Tarzan/Conan/Kickaha/Rambo etc :)
The new rules add two new healing spells (Minor Medicament and Restoration, neither of which do I plan on using in my campaigns) but they don't recover ST lost due to injuries.

The new descriptions of Physicker talent effects however do (to my eye, anyway) leave room to interpret them the way we always applied them, however, which is per wound not per combat, and that, in my experience, usually leaves much less reason to want a healing spell.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #388
mark hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Physicker puts one point of healing on a six point broken leg (by ITL 121) and the subject is walking five minutes after the injury.
get outta here .. the new rules dont really say that do they?
Old 04-15-2019, 12:19 AM   #389
Chris Rice

Quote:
get outta here .. the new rules dont really say that do they?
No they don't. They say the useof the leg is "lost" until healing occurs, so it could be a very bad dead leg. It does not mention the leg being "broken."

If more than 8 hits are taken, then you've lost the limb completely and normal healing can't help you. That would take regeneration.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:59 AM   #390
mark hill

ahah .. so theres really no 'broken' or 'crippled' limbs at all, just wounded or completely destroyed ones. wow my home rules have mutated sooo far from the actual rules lol

in my home games, any damaging hit on a leg requires a SR 3/ST or trip .. any hit doing > half your ST breaks the limb, (at least a month to heal) and if its a chopping type weapon, cuts it off (permanent, obviously, buy a wooden peg-leg for MA=2, if you also have 1 hand using a crutch, MA=4 .. Long John Silver top speed lol)

Regeneration is a new spell? probably that fixes it

Last edited by mark hill; 04-15-2019 at 01:46 AM.